Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-13-2004, 11:51 PM   #81
-elfearz-
Elf Lord

Mirilya was not drunk. She knew she was not drunk; but her mind throbbed achingly as she struggled to follow the conversation. She had expected that beyond the borders of her own country, lay a wild, unfamiliar world, and had grown restless in Hollin. Life there had a sombre calm to it; the elves' very existence seemed suspended in a nostalgic memory that was wilfully heedless of the change that surrounded it and seeped in through its pores. Eregion had been a wild land for many years, but it was growing unmistakably darker, though this was seldom spoken aloud. Black birds hovered high above Hollin when she had left...
Yet the news here astonished her. The world was changing, certainly, but in a way that was more grounded in history and memory than she could have imagined. Legends seemed to rise from the depths of nowhere – ancient earth spirits that looked like dwarves drank ale with wood elves as scale-breasted dread-worms woke from their sleep.
"The elves of Hollin practice metalwork", she managed, "though our skill has lessened over time. Our ancestors were great smiths – it is said that the pieces they crafted – weapons, rings and the like – became imbued with some of their power. But we have long lost that talent, or it is not employed. Perhaps it is no more than legend anyway."

After the stories she had just heard, she did not believe this disclaimer.
-elfearz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 06:46 AM   #82
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

ooc: edited my earlier post to co-incide with nurvingiel's iron hils modification

ic: Galiforn looked intently at Mirilya "Tell me, have you seen the lights of Valinor," he said, "I have not seen Aule since the world was formed, it is he who we most revere of all the Ainur, which is why some of my race have taken the form of elves, and thus travelled with the remnants of the Noldor."
he went on, nodding to mirilya as he spoke
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 07:54 AM   #83
-elfearz-
Elf Lord

"Aule", Mirilya murmered almost inaudibly. It was just a name to her. A revered name, but a name nonetheless. She resented her youth. The older elves - the oldest elves, most of all - seemed almost to draw sustenance from their memory of a fairer time. Their memories seemed alive; the waking world a faded shadow of splendid reminiscence.
"The elves age slowly", she said, smiling ruefully at Galiforn, "but I am young in both face and years. I'm afraid I've only seen fractions of the lights of Valinor, captured in the eyes of some of my kin." She paused, then turned again to the Endoraia. "But you say your people have dwelt amongst the Noldor?"
-elfearz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:01 AM   #84
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

"Some," said Galiforn, "Though I have never, I turned to the dwarves many years sinceforth, and I have not seen another of my race for almost 300 years," he replied, somewhat sadly, "My spouse, Finglor, was one, she was enamoured by the tales of Valinor from the Noldor, and left to dwell amongst them before the ruin of Beleriand, and I have not seen her since"
Old 10-14-2004, 11:03 AM   #85
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Nurvingiel was astonished at what Mirilya revealed. "Hollin! I never knew people still dwelt there! Oh, I'm so sorry to interrupt, I didn't mean to be rude..." she trailed off, embarassed. When a handsome Ranger ordered an ale, she blushed even deeper.

OOC: Hey Telcontar, nudge nudge wink wink
By the way, awesome posts guys!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 01:31 PM   #86
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Outside, the patrons began to hear voices, slowly growing in volume until they were able to clearly make out, on the porch just outside the door, "C'mon Thornie... give it up! He's this great Elf Lord... his daughter would NEVER go for the likes of YOU! Har-har!!"

There was more general laughter and then the door burst open, practically off its hinges, as about 6 or 8 rascally, scraggly looking men came tumbling in - seeming quite jovial. Formost among them one in his 20's or early 30's, who had obviously been used to push the door open. That one was just beginning to speak.

"Oh shut up! With uncles and cousins like the lot of you, who needs..."

He stopped short, and those with him halted their laughter, all looking around the room, apparently surprised to find the place so... occupied.

The young man, evidently their leader, composed himself, straightened his clothes and walked on over to the bar, pulling up a stool. His companions gathered around him, some finding stools themselves, others standing closely behind.

"Bartender... set me and the boys up with a round of your best beer." said the young man, somewhat subdued.

As the innkeeper hastened off to do their bidding his mutterings were heard by a few patrons nearby, "Rangers! Shore hope they don't make any trouble with the rest of these folks here..."

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 10-14-2004 at 03:47 PM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 02:12 PM   #87
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

After Anfal had ordered and recieved his ale he was about to return to his seat in the corner, before seeing an elf blushing and looking towards him he went and sat himself down on the edge of their company.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 02:22 PM   #88
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Nurvingiel looked away, occuping herself with her ale. She was trying to stop blushing, avoid Anfal's gaze, and look composed, all at the same time. She was distracted by the rough looking men bursting in.
Why is this mortal man flustering me? Just because he's good-looking... bah. I can be friendly in a normal way, she thought, encouraging herself.
As the man sat at the edge of their group, she smiled at him (in what she hoped was a normal and friendly way). "Hello, what brings you to the Inn? Did you just arrive?" she said.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 10-14-2004 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:39 PM   #89
Valandil

The other men looked up at the sound of her voice, saw that she was directing her words to Anfal... and started to laugh again... quite boisterously and merrily.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 10-14-2004, 02:43 PM   #90
Telcontar_Dunedain

Igonring the laughter of the other men he turned back to the elf.
"Hello. I was passing through the area and thought I should pop in," he replied, his gaze now fixed on the men. "What is your name if I might ask."
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 10-14-2004, 03:15 PM   #91
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

"I'm Nurvingiel," she replied. "This is Galiforn, and this is Mirilya," she said, indicating her new friends. There were a couple other people sitting nearby she didn't know well. "Feel free to join us. Have you any interesting tale to tell of your journey?"
Nurvingiel was distracted again by the rambunctious men. "If we really want to party, we should join them," she grinned.
Quote:
Old 10-14-2004, 04:16 PM   #92
Telcontar_Dunedain

"Hello Nurvingiel, Galiforn, Mirilya. My name is Anfal, I am one of the Dunedain of Arnor, one of the last remenants of Elendil's people. I have many tales, but none I deem right for this time and place," repled Anfal.

Old 10-14-2004, 04:43 PM   #93
Valandil

One of the men had already begun some good natured ribbing of their leader, "Say... mayhap HERE is a young Elf-maiden that will have wot to do with ye!" he roared, shoving the young man toward Nurvingiel. The youngster seemed to be trying to stay good natured about it all, but a bit of jostling ensued among them.

When Anfal mentioned 'Elendil' and something about 'many tales' they all stopped, transfixed.

Suddenly, the largest of the group bellowed out again with laughter. "Aye, THIS one has many tales indeed to tickle the ears of a fair fairy lass! And delusions of grandeur beside. Elendil indeed!" he said, stumbling forward and good-naturedly pounding Anfal on the back, just as another companion somehow managed to 'accidentally' hook his leg around the leg of Anfal's stool, whereupon they all fell tumbling to the floor.

The man who hooked the stool managed to land on top of Anfal, and whispered fiercely, "What of it man... why you be tellin' such things about our people so broadly? Eke to strangers, asides? Are ye drunk or daft??"

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 10-14-2004 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:52 PM   #94
Telcontar_Dunedain

"I deem these people good. Someday they may be needed as allies to our people. Daft you may call it, yet you come in with a number of our people, making noise and drawing attention. What if there had been orcs?" replied Anfal in a whisper.

Old 10-14-2004, 05:04 PM   #95
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
"I deem these people good. Someday they may be needed as allies to our people. Daft you may call it, yet you come in with a number of our people, making noise and drawing attention. What if there had been orcs?" replied Anfal in a whisper.
"Orcs! When could an orc buy a drink in this place? You ARE daft!" the man hissed sharply in reply.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 10-14-2004, 05:04 PM   #96
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Nurvingiel blushed deeply at the other ranger's comments, and forgot all about what Anfal had said as she mentally kicked herself for blushing again. Fortunately, the young man caught his balance easily, and turned away from her to speak with one of the Ranger.

OOC: This RPG rocks! It rocks I tell you. All the new Ranger characters are totally awesome!
OOC2: I cross-posted with Val, but it doesn't affect my post.
Edit for the age thing. Bah!
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 10-16-2004 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:16 PM   #97
Valandil

At the sound of the crash, Innham Mize took off from the kitchen, back toward the common room, splashing around the contents of the six mugs he bore. "Oh Manwe!" he thought, "What sorta trouble're those rascals makin' in there for me tonight?"

He rounded the bend and saw that it was just one downed stool and a few men in a tense confrontation among themselves. "Whew!" he thought, but began to sharply scold the men.

"Awwwl-right... what's the meanin' o this here ruckus? Clean up yer acts, ye... [distastefully]rangers[/distastefully]... or it'll be OUT with the lot o ye! Wot'll it be now?" He said, as he plopped the mugs down on the counter, staring between Anfal and the other men.

OOC1: Thanks Nurvi - and thanks for tending the place while I wasn't actively involved. Like I'd hoped though, it's a low maintenance RPG.

OOC2: Maybe Mize should offer Nurvi a job... you doin' anything for the next loa or two?

OOC3: Can anyone guess who 'Thornie' is??

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 10-14-2004, 06:07 PM   #98
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

OOC: I knew who he was immediately! But I won't spoil it for everyone else. This totally rocks!
OOC2: If Mize offers me a job, I'll take it (reminisant of the Teacup Cafe? ). But my character would have to do something to make him want to do that, so you decide when and if this happens.
Um... the next what or two?
OOC3: I'm editing my previous post because I realize now that it was "Thornie" that was pushed towards my character, not Anfal.

Nurvingiel liked the look of these newcomers and didn't want them to get kicked out. "There's enough drinks for all of us gentlemen, so why don't we all sit down and have a pint?" she said, subtly steering Anfal toward the bar. She noticed the young man do the same with the other ranger.
Quote:
Old 10-15-2004, 03:04 AM   #99
Telcontar_Dunedain

"4 ales please," Anfal said when he reached the bar. The lowering his voice to a whisper he turned to the other Ranger. "I meant there could have been orcs around these parts. They've been multiplying majorly recently," he hissed.

Old 10-15-2004, 04:58 AM   #100
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

when introduced to the man by nruvingiel, Galiforn smiled, and nodded politely
"I was unaware that so many men still dwelt this far east," he said
"I remember, though, when there were many men, in the three principalities of old Arnor, before the black one dwelt to the north, and twas such a shame, Angmar used to be such a vibrant, green land" he went on ruefully