Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-22-2004, 02:17 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

The Forsaken Inn

This is a WHOLE DIFFERENT KIND of RPG. It's a 'come-and-go as you please / pull up a chair to the fire' kinda thing.

This is set at 'The Forsaken Inn' in Eriador - a day's travel east of Bree, starting in April of the year 2904 of the Third Age (and time will progress as in 'our' world - +900 years and in the 3rd Age). To let you know what this means:

* Bilbo is a lad who turns 14 later this year, living at home with his folks, Bungo and Belladona.
* Gerontius, 'The Old Took' - is still living.
* Aragorn's great-grandfather, Argonui, is chieftain of the Dunedain. His grandson, Arathorn, is a young man - but Gilraen hasn't been born.
* Thorin and his people are still living in The Blue Mountains - and Smaug still broods over the treasure of Erebor.
* Far away, Turin II is Ruling Steward of Gondor, and Fengel has just become King of Rohan.
* The 'Fell Winter' hasn't happen yet and Tharbad hasn't yet been flooded under all that melted snow and ice - but Tharbad's not that big a place anymore.
* There's 'trouble' with orcs, wolves and trolls from time to time, and rumors of things even worse in Mirkwood beyond the Misty Mountains.
* Some still talk about Elrond at his place of Rivendell, away east - but not many seem to know exactly how to get there - and the Elves, or others who might seem to know - they just won't say very much about it.

The Inn itself... a small place. A room with a few tables and chairs and a fireplace to the right wall from the front door. The back wall has a bar - and a door leading back to the kitchen. The family who runs the place - Old Innham Mize is the innkeeper and his wife and a bunch of mostly-grown children who help out (and dream of places they hear about from travelers) - hard to say if they're more like the Bree-folk or descended from Numenoreans or a mixture, or something else. They're friendly though, but they like customers who pay, especially as not many folks pass through these days. They have a couple rooms for folks to spend the night, but they usually like to see your money first. There's some old stables around back, but most folks like to tie their horses outside unless the weather is particularly bad - as the stables look even more forsaken than the inn - and nobody wants them collapsing on their horses.

There used to be a town of sorts around the inn... and there's remnants of a few other buildings in various states of disrepair and decay. The only other inhabitant of the town is the old smith, 'Smitty' - well past his better years, but still able to shoe a horse in a pinch and tell stories of the old days.

Who comes here? Well - a few farmers from hereabouts, but mostly travelers on the Great East-West Road: those strange rangers, dwarves, Elves sometimes, even an occasional wizard and a more adventurous halfling or two (Tooks, more than likely).

So - stop on in at the inn, inntroduce yourself, pull up a seat by the fire or stake out a spot at the bar (there isn't exactly anybody gonna elbow you aside), order up some grub and liquid refreshment, and join in telling and hearing tales.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 02:51 PM   #2
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Location: on the floor, under the table, just to your left, your other left
OOC: An excelent idea Valandil.

*It was a dark and stormy night. Oh bother. It was a bitter cold morning and the inn had just opened. A short hooded figure leading a well built pony staggered into town. The figure dropped the pony's reigns, but the pony didn't run. The door of the in flew open and the figure flung itself to the counter.*

Figure: I need... beer.... please.

Mize: Are you sure, um, sir?

Figure: A tankard and a seat. Please.

*Mize filled a mug with a light beer and gave it to the figure who slumped onto a chair. It drank. It set the mug upsidown on the table and removed it's hood. There was a mass of hair underneath. When the hair was removed, a small round face could be seen. It was female.*

Figure: It's good of you to start with a light beer. I haven't had any in so long. It warms you greatly. My name is Lerin Copperfist.

Mize: You're a dwarf?

Lerin: Only a bit. My pony is outside. Could you tend to it.

Mize: Certianly.

*Mize called up one of his children to tend to the pony, then tried to talk to the interesting traveler.*

Mize: More beer?

Lerin: Of course. And this time, make it something good.

*Lerin pulled a hand out of her pocket. Inside was all gold.*

I thought that Alcohol was just for those with nothing else to do.
I thought that drinking just to get drunk was a waste of precious booze.
But now I know that there's a time and there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between self control and self abuse.

"Lacerations make complications, but welts go away in a day."
Katt_knome_hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:02 PM   #3
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

ic: Fimbren walked warily into the in. Hood pulled over his head. He fet slightly uncomfortable, he was not accustomed to wearng his hair over his ears, but people reacted strangely to elves, and Fimbrenoften hid his ears these days.

OOC: A request, could we keep this in third person, past tense, for continuity's sake?

Character: Fimbren (my usual RPG character, he's just so versatile! )
Race: Noldorin elf of Valinor
Weapons: The Sword of Fingolfin (Ringil, sent by the valar with Mithrandir), as well as an elven bow and daggers, he is skilled with other weapons as well.
A brief history: born in Valinor, he was friends with Finrod and with Finarfins other children as well. he followed Finrod in the revolt and took part in all the battles of Beleriand. After the Nirnaeth he escaped with Turgon to Gondolin and fought at that cities fal, but escaped with Turo and Idril. He fought in the great battle. In the second age he went to Lothlorien and spent most of the age with Celeborn and Galadriel, but spent some time in Rivendell. he became good friends with Treebeard and fought with the last Alliance.
In the third age he often took the trip with Arwen between Rivendell and Lorien. Later (after this RPG) he would defend Lorien during the War of the Ring as well as many escapades afterwards.

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 04-23-2004 at 12:24 PM.
Finrod Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:08 PM   #4
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

Suddenly, in walked a dwarve, named Galiforn
"hail!" he said, "My name is galiforn, and i would like some ale, please, I am on my way to visit Thorin Oakenshield in the Blue Mountains"
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:45 PM   #5
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

OOC: I was totally gonna start a thread like this, but I like Valandil's description and history! I'm glad you're the one to start it.

Character name: Nurvingiel (Daughter of deep foam)
Race: Sindarin elf (but her name, I believe, is in Quenyan.)
Hair: Light brown
Eyes: Hazel
Height: 6'0"
Description: Wears close-fitting, forest green, comfortable clothes, and a drab coloured, hooded cloak (suitible for all kinds of weather), and well-made leather shoes.
Weapons: A long hunting knife, practical, but with intricate designs on the hilt, in a plain scabbard. A longbow, and a quiver of arrows (with an extra one in her pack)
Information: She's a little older than 24 for an elf, and average height. She's inclined to wander, and always journeying from her home in Mirkwood to visit the Sea. She likes to travel, she's known as a wanderer. True to her name, she likes the inside of a pub, but tends to just sit in the corner.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:49 PM   #6
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Character name: Galiforn
Race: Dwarf, of the same race as thorin oakenshield
Hair: Dark Brown
Eyes: Greeney-Blue
Height: 5'0"
Description: Wears typical dwarven clothing.
Weapons: 2 throwing axes, a large Mattock and a battle axe

THIS POST HAS BECOME REDUNDANT - READ ON TO FIND OUT MORE...!

Last edited by Last Child of Ungoliant : 10-06-2004 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:19 PM   #7
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

OOC: Thorin would have been a lad at the time right? *thinks* No, he would have been an adult. Am I right?

Nurvingiel approached the Forsaken Inn on a cold, rainy morning. She didn't mind the rain, she could tell the trees were glad of the moisture. She took one last deep breath as she rode into the open, the broadleaf forest smelt of decomposing leaves and rain.

At the Inn, Nurvingiel looked dubiously at the stables. It was only raining lightly, so she groundtied her stallion Picea outside, under the eaves of the roof. She briefly wondered if he would be okay there, but quickly decided. He wasn't going to leave, and certainly wouldn't let anyone steal him. She started unsaddling him and wondered where she would put her gear when a young man came out from the inn.
"Will you be staying with us tonight ma'am?" he said cautiously. Nurvingiel had planned to carry on, but it was growing steadily darker, and the thought of a warm bed and a warm meal tempted her.
"Yes thank you, I take it I pay for that inside?" At the mention of "pay" the boy became quite friendly.
"I can take care of that saddle for you ma'am, I'll keep it and your bag in the stable. But your horse can stay out here," he smiled cheerfully. Nurvingiel added her bow, unstrung and wrapped in a cloth, to the bag.
"Thank you," she said. The boy paused meaningfully. Nurvingiel smiled at his cheek and gave him two coins from her purse. "That's to feed my horse as well, there's food for him in the saddle bags," she added. He would really earn his tip.

Inside, she paid for a small room. "A hot dinner for you tonight?" asked the innkeeper politely.
"Yes, and a mug of your darkest ale please," said Nurvingiel, paying for her meal as well before going into the common room.

She decided to forgo her favourite seat in the corner for a place at the fire. She took off her cloak and hung it on a peg in the wall, hoping it would dry. Though she sometimes got strange looks for it, she didn't hide the fact that she was an elf.

A young woman promptly came from behind the bar to bring her her ale - Nurvingiel recalled that the service was excellent if you paid in advance. She sipped the creamy, bitter ale slowly, and surveyed the room.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:24 PM   #8
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

"A-ha! madam! i see you are an ale drinker! perhaps the elves have dwarvish blood in them? Pray, is there any news from the old dwarvish kingdom at erebor? i take it you are a traveller, judging by your travel worn cloak...?" Galiforn was speaking quickly, hoping to befriend the elf...
Old 04-22-2004, 09:21 PM   #9
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
Sounds like fun...I shall butt in wiht a loud character who rides a nag!

Name: Talya
Race:Human
Descript: No weapons, kind of stupid of her really. Her horse is ugly and misshappin but loyal and can...run people often remark after seeing the horse run "So that's what oyu call?". She delights in telling tall tales and won't hesitate to blurte out a good story. Sometimes what she thinks is good though isn't what other people think is good.

IC:
Er, running on her horse into the town Talya stopped outside an inn that looked like it would fall in on its self. A clink told her her horse had lost another shoe. "Well I'll have to fix that. ANYBODY THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" She bellowed at the top of her lungs.
"No need toshout. I'm Mize the innkeeper. And you and this creature are?"
"I'm Talya and this is my horse."
"Does your horse have a name? Would yo ulike a room or just somehting to eat?"
"A room and somthing to eat. My horse has no name so I just call it horse. Also you cn put it in that barn.It's head is so hard it wouldn't hurt it if it fell. Here's some money." Tossing him what would pay for well over three nights for her and her horse including three square meals with free stall cleaning and a bath once a day for Talya ofcourse.
Intering the inn Talya looked at the small crowd and said "Well, you aren't much of an audience but I bet you'll still like to hear my story of Smaug huh?"
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:06 AM   #10
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

OOC: Sorry, forgot the charactor description.
Name: Lerin Copperfist
Race: Half Dwarf (don't ask how that happened)
Height: 5'2" (my favorite height)
Description: Ragged but hard wearing clothing, many layers. Cloak looks like it's made of iron. Very heavy. Masses of frizzy dark brown hair. Brown eyes, brown nails, an overall dirty look.
History: Well, she's been isolated. That's all I'm going to say.

IC:

Lerin: *from little clump of clothes* Ark! I'm full up to here with stories. But I could do with one more. And here here to the elf that drinks ale. It's about damn time we shared our things again. Or do we? Sorry, I'm a bit out of touch with the dwarven community.

Galiforn: And you are a dwarf?

Lerin: Erm, half dwarf. Just don't ask.

*Galiforn turned back to the friendly elf as Talya usurped Lerin's attention.*

Old 04-23-2004, 10:03 AM   #11
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Fimbren took a seat in a corner, he scanned the inn and noticed the patrons, one of whom was quite obviously an elf. Interesting, he thought.
A barmaid came up to him, "mmm...mulled wine please," he said.
Finrod Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 10:38 AM   #12
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

OOC: I don't plan to actively moderate Innham Mize & family, so any of you can do so as you come-and-go. I'll step in and try to make corrections if it gets out of hand though. Just figure he's a rather (but not extremely) large and rotund man, late 40's or 50's, dark hair - and very much concerned with his business (and therefore a 'stay-at-home'). He mostly tends bar. His wife (someone come up with a name - or suggestions) is also heavy - and known for her cooking (hence their sizes) and she runs the kitchen: The children aren't so big yet - they work pretty hard. The sons do lots of hard manual labor and the daughters help in the kitchen and serve the meals. And, uh... gentlemen, keep your hands off those serving girls!

Let's just say that 'Harliman Butterbur' - an ancestor of Barliman, now runs 'The Prancing Pony' in Bree. Nurvi - Thorin is 158 years old this year, according to the appendices... remember, this is only about 37 years before the quest to Erebor - and Thorin was nearing 200 then!

OK - IN character:

"Ma... get the fire going under the kettle! And round up them young-uns! Looks like it's gonna be a busy evening tonight."
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 12:08 PM   #13
Amea
Elven Warrior

Strider

OCC: Hi peoples I'm here now, let's have some fun!
Ic:
*a dark stranger rides up to the inn, her horse is lathered with sweat, a young stable boy rush up to her*
Stable boy: May I take your horse mame?
Devak: *looks around* where am I?
Stable boy: You're at the Forsaken inn,
Devak: how convinent, here *hands him the reins* make sure she gets the best feed here, and I'll give you a gold coin in the morning *pats the horse on the head* good girl,
Stable boy: Yes mame!
Devak: *starts to walk away but turns* don't call me mame! *walks up to the inn and slowly opens the door, she walks in without a word and sits in a dark corner, drawing her coat closer to her as she sat down*

*devak laughs crazily*
Blue: Oh boy, She's cracked, She's gone nuts, Devak, Devak get a grip.
*Devak grabs blue by the throat*
Blue: Good grip
Duh! I've got markers!!!! :P
Amea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 06:51 PM   #14
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

Galiforn: Innkeeper, do you have any rooms available?
Mize: ah yes mister...?
Galiforn: call me galiforn
mize: mister galiforn, we have some nice dwarf sized rooms, stone-walled, just as you like 'em.
galiforn: very well, i will take it, here is 2 nights board in advance, and 4 silver pennies for your trouble, and for bringing me a breakfast of toasted bread, tmato, sausage, nice crispy bacon, and a pint of good ale, i shall have it at 9 am, if you please! goodnight!

he then picked up his pack, bad farewell to the elf he was sat with, and walked along the corridoor, following the innkeepers son, who was showing him to his room.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:02 PM   #15
Fimbrethil

Standing up Talya practially yelled her story to the whole inn. The innkeeper evne thought she might wake some of the other geusts. It really was quite an interedting story all in all but Talya has a way of wearing people out i na ver y short amount of time, herself included.
"Now that I've regalde you with my tale I shall go to bed." And with that she left.

Old 05-03-2004, 06:22 PM   #16
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Lerin: Another beer. Rawrg. Who was that? facinatin. Many people seem to be heading to their rooms. The night is young! Who will tell their tale next?

Old 05-03-2004, 09:50 PM   #17
Fimbrethil

Do not fear! I only retire to my room to fine tune the next great tale! It still needs a bit of remembering on my part. I may be away for a few days, never fear the next one will be my best yet! Very possibly my last..." Again, she left.

Old 05-04-2004, 08:33 AM   #18
Amea
Elven Warrior

Strider

*devak, Shifted in her chair slightly, when she heard the call for another story, but she rose her voice*
Devak: My life is long and I know many, My own story I shall save, for a latter time but for now I know many songs, If you wish I shall play a few on my pipe for you, *she pulled a small silver pipe out of her cloak, which still covered her face, and she put the pipe to her lips, The notes flowed easily from the small pipe, Notes so low they were barily heard and notes so high it put even trained elven voices to shame. Slowly she lowered the pipe letting the last note die, She lowered herself back into her chair in the corner. A smile on her lips*

*devak laughs crazily*
Blue: Oh boy, She's cracked, She's gone nuts, Devak, Devak get a grip.
*Devak grabs blue by the throat*
Blue: Good grip
Duh! I've got markers!!!! :P
Amea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 12:09 PM   #19
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

*Lerin sniffed.*

Lerin: That was beautiful.

*Slowly, with all the majesty of the song, she keeled over into her mug.*

Old 05-08-2004, 10:25 PM   #20
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Strider

Siano, a Dúnedain ranger of the line of Halvaris, Royal Guardsman to King Arvedui, and who served faithfully Chieftain Argonui, quietly rode up to the Forsaken in the rainy grey finish of this day. He preferred this place to the busier Bree, and he pulled his packs from his dark-grey horse Venna. He let her run free, for stables made her uneasy, and she found some fresh grass upon a knoll across the road.

Satisfied in Venna comfort, Siano stepped to the door and pushed it open. Letting it close on its own, he looked around the hazy common room before walking to the bar and asking the Innkeeper if he had a room, food, and refreshment.

"You be one of te Rangers?"

he asked, but Siano just looked at him.

"Uh... right... a room, food, and drink for a night. That will be...."

A silver coin of Arnor hit the bar, and he grabbed it up to look at. It was old, and well worth the price of what was asked for. Siano looked at him as he stood silent, and said,

'Is that suffiecient?.

"yes! Yes... just we don't see coin of the old kingdom much here. It will do for your evening I am sure."

Innham said as he looked again at it before securing it in a tight pocket. He then tapped an ale... Bree Proper, and handed a key to a room.

'Thank you.'

Siano said as he turned and leaned against the bar. He had taken the position where he could keep an eye on the door and the common roon and turn and look down the bar. He sopped the ale and smiled. It had been many a month since he had the luxury of enjoying a good brew, let alone a dry place to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OOC:
Description will come shortly.