Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-26-2006, 11:07 AM   #61
Huorn
Elven Warrior

Butterbeer, you are in for an entertaining time with the little Entsie on board the ship. Consider, she has never been on a wooden vessel. She has never felt the ground under her heaving shifting. Just watch how she reacts to the ship. It will suprise you.

Just call me Oakie
Huorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:12 PM   #62
Huorn
Elven Warrior

Treebeard

Now back to the topic of godmoding: I posted a lot of this information as RPG Mod on another site. This might be helpful to those wanting to learn exactly what godmoding is in its different forms.

This particular section was distilled from Lotrplaza's Imladris convention. This convention discussed war RPG's. So these forms of godmoding mainly effect these kinds of RPG's.

Combat god moding : The individual being greater than could feasibly be possible within the realm of a reality based circumstance, albeit within a fantasy setting. Infringing on another player's rights, with the use of autoing (automatically injuring / killing without consent). You may RP minor actions which will not disable your opponent to fight back with full strength, so small things like a small punch with the fist are allowed.

Character god moding:
This occurs when an individual claims unlikely heritage, for example, they are the mortal form of a Dragon from ages ago, or the offspring of two gods, or in other ways a more powerful form of being. A lesser form of this occurs when one might post being the one time lover of a famous character, or the lost child of a well known powerful literary character, unchronicled.

Story line god modes:
These are hard to spot, and the lesser ones are all part of what makes each RPG unique.
As a casual member you will hardly ever spot one of these, since only the GM really knows what is agreed or what is intended for the Story Line.
A Story Line God Mode occurs when a member drastically alters the course of an RPG story line without the consent / knowledge of the GM. Some of these are simple to bring back on track. Its part of the art of GMing. Some of them are not easy to bring back on track. If allowed to go too far, or seen too late, the RPG is dead in the water without the deletion of an entire thread or multiple posts. The situation can also be addressed with some seriously creative GMing and a major delay in getting back to what WAS intended. These God Modes are thread killers.

Now below are some other forms of godmoding not covered by the Plaza discussion during their Imladris convention. The first one happens a lot in RPG's often found on the Entmoot.

Force placement godmoding. This form of godmoding is where another member, assumes another player''s character does an action. Player A posts that he meets player B. Player B posts that Player A unrolls his sleeping bag and goes to sleep on the floor. A never said anything in his post about being tired. Basically you are moving another person's character without their consent. Think of the character as a game piece. Only the member can move his game piece on the board. There are some exeptions to this rule such as a medical setting where an injured character is being healed. The healer would discribe the administration of anesthetic teas and then the suturing of wounds.

Defamation godmoding: It is exactly what it says. It is the sullying of the morals of another character without the character owner's consent. Player A might state that his character is the illigitimate son of the character belonging to player B. B might want his character to be what many would consider a prude. Another example would be that A assumes that C's character seduces his character into doing an evil deed, which C did not have in mind for her upright and good character. Making assumptions like this is a no-no, especailly when an RPG is just getting started. You don't even know all the players in the story yet. Get to know the characters first, choose someone, then when both of you can agree on a scenario, then you can play it out.

Just call me Oakie

Last edited by Huorn : 08-28-2006 at 01:20 PM.
Huorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:21 PM   #63
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Thank you Entwife.

another no-no that has been seen here at the moot, is called:

Cantankerous Flaming

curiously, this pretty much means what you might expect it to.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:08 PM   #64
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Heh, I think I have witnessed all types at least once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entwife_Oak
Think of the character as a game piece. Only the member can move his game piece on the board. There are some exeptions to this rule such as a medical setting where an injured character is being healed.
Generally that's a good rule, although I have seen many different exceptions to it. In many games people may move other people's characters around as long as the character doesn't act out-of-character. Sometimes just writing about your very own character bogs the game down a little. Of course, you move then a little more in the direction of co-writing a story, instead of merely playing it.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:26 PM   #65
rael
Hobbit

Nazgul big question from a newcomer

how do you join the rpg forum i want to play but i do not know how please tell me anybody that knows how also i woul like to serve under elfmaster
And liars come to grief
rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:38 PM   #66
Earniel

(merged thread into existing thread)

To answer your question, there is no procedure to 'join' the RPG-forum. If you have found a game you want to join, go to the discussion thread of that game and nicely ask if you can join.

If you're looking into joining the RPG that Elfmaster XK is leading, the thread you're looking for is 'Recruits needed for quest part II'.

Last edited by Earniel : 09-07-2006 at 03:40 PM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:11 AM   #67
Kelvins
Sapling

thanks for the help
Kelvins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #68
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Kelvins ... basically terraform an island somewhere .... that usually does the trick .... just don't expect to stay alone very long .... they can get very crowded these isolated stray islands

helmsman and quartermaster : "cap'n we desperately need wood and cocunuts and stuff wot ya finds on islands ..."

Cap'n *looks at the seething seas around the boat and then at the oddly popping up passing multitude of islands - sighs - one even sinks with a gurgle as she looks through the sheer weight of strays on it .... on another she sees a human wall of waving hands .... *

"Nah - cocunuts are overrated anyways lads!"

Last edited by Butterbeer : 09-20-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:08 PM   #69
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
A possibility of pinning Lyrd of the Ryngs - The Homies and Return of Good Architecture in the top of the RPG Forum - Is what I what I would like to know if there is.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:42 PM   #70
Earniel

Why would you like it pinned?
Old 09-24-2006, 01:47 PM   #71
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

It's just been finished - and it's taken two years to do so. AND since this is a Tolkien site perhaps it would just be appropriate to have it in the forefront, don't u think?

Best
GW
Old 09-24-2006, 02:03 PM   #72
Earniel

Hm, sorry to disappoint you, but all RPG's here are Tolkien-based and some took more than a year to finish too. I can't pin them all and choosing some to be pinned would clutter up the RPG-forum and it wouldn't be fair to all who put equally much work into RPG to see it not being pinned as well.

But if you'd like it to stand out more, you could perhaps compile the story and send it to Bmilder to be added to the Tolkientrail fanfic page.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:09 PM   #73
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Hm, sorry to disappoint you, but all RPG's here are Tolkien-based and some took more than a year to finish too. I can't pin them all and choosing some to be pinned would clutter up the RPG-forum and it wouldn't be fair to all who put equally much work into RPG to see it not being pinned as well.

But if you'd like it to stand out more, you could perhaps compile the story and send it to Bmilder to be added to the Tolkientrail fanfic page.
Well, it was just an idea - and MrBishop is actually copying the whole story into Acrobat Reader format so, thanks for your suggestion. Besides The Homies is gone so it couldn't been done anyway.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:21 PM   #74
Earniel

That's nice of him.

But the Homies isn't gone for good, it just sunk a little in the RPG-forum after it was closed, but it wasn't deleted. A simple search should turn it up.

Last edited by Earniel : 09-25-2006 at 03:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:40 PM   #75
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

He's neated it up too - with a very cool cover for the first book.

Btw, ive favoed Homies - thanks for looking it up for me.

Best,
gw
Old 10-06-2006, 06:49 PM   #76
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

*pokes head in*

Did anything ever come of the suggestion of real roleplaying?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:46 PM   #77
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

how do i know?

stop prevaricating and jump on in ... the water's salty at drunken pirates ... why not say a hello and a jaunty bleep in da discussion thread (somet about recruits) ya creative lubber ye!

Old 10-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #78
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I? Prevaricate? I resent the implications, good sir!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:00 AM   #79
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
*pokes head in*

Did anything ever come of the suggestion of real roleplaying?
Uah... It's been forever since I visited these boards on a regular basis. But I was the one that mentioned it earlier in the thread, and I might be persuaded to follow through.

Depending on, you know, various factors.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:37 PM   #80
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

*observes the planets align*

fine words - yet actions are the mettle of a true rpger ...