Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-08-2005, 02:56 AM   #21
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Heheh.

I actually got started in Roleplaying with the Free-Form Story model, I've done Forum-Based tabletop games so I do know that they're quite possible (although a bit different, since the games are run as sort of a combination betwen Tabletop and Free-Form, with each person posting for their own character, and run in months-long sessions with each player posting a few times per day, rather than hours-long sessions.)

The technical term is 'PbP', or 'Play by Post'
Old 02-08-2005, 01:34 PM   #22
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Roleplaying is good fun.

I'll say no more, lest Valandil delete me.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 01:41 PM   #23
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Anduril... make a "saving throw"!

(oooo... now THAT is dating myself! )

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:53 PM   #24
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Before my time.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 04:06 PM   #25
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Anduril... make a "saving throw"!

(oooo... now THAT is dating myself! )
Not really, that totally applies to pen and paper RPGs.

I don't know if I want to play one where you have to post 3 times per day Wayfarer. People would get left behind if they couldn't keep up.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 04:12 PM   #26
kennard

I was recommended to this by a friend. I'm wondering: suppose you saw an RPG that was already well under way and wanted to join? Is that allowed, and does it entail reading all the posts before it? If it does, that would take some time, though it wouldn't be a waste of time, exactly... :/
Old 02-08-2005, 05:03 PM   #27
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

If you want to join an already established RPG, yes it is assumed that you will have the patience to go back and read all the posts that came before .

The idea being that if you don't put in the work to help get the story to that point, you'll have to put it in to join up!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 05:41 PM   #28
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Of course, if one is lazy one could always ask for a summary by the GM

It happens quite often actually, from my experience anyway, that people join in after the game have started. Some players tend to fall away from rpgs after the beginning eather because of lost time or interest, and thus spots open up. Most rpgs here do not have a character limit though, so joining in at a late point would be quite possible if it fits in context with the current setting.

Say, if the other players are in a long forgotten dungeon with evil spiders and goblins, how would you go about making a good entrance for your character? Just step up and say hi? :P So I guess that is the only "yes" or "no" whether you can join an rpg right away, or if you'd have to wait for a good opening for your character to come about.

This is great fun though, I'm having a blast at it
Old 02-08-2005, 06:26 PM   #29
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Well, some DMs will give you the summary, but I've always hated that.

If the player is too lazy to do their own reading then they have no place in the RPG!!! *fumes*
Old 02-08-2005, 08:38 PM   #30
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Not really, that totally applies to pen and paper RPGs.

I don't know if I want to play one where you have to post 3 times per day Wayfarer. People would get left behind if they couldn't keep up.
Just a random number I threw out there... since in my experience most people post at least that much anyway. Once a day, once a week... whatever works for everybody.

But what's dated about saving throws? 3.5 D&D still uses them, and it's only... what, a year or two old?
Old 02-08-2005, 09:14 PM   #31
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
Well, some DMs will give you the summary, but I've always hated that.

If the player is too lazy to do their own reading then they have no place in the RPG!!! *fumes*
Tessar, in Atharon you've lately been arguing for less background reading being necessary on the part of players. Here I see you demanding that more be done? It's really not necessary, in my opinion . It's nice though, I grant you.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:50 PM   #32
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Lief I said I didn't want too much complexity. I also said nothing about more or less reading .
Old 02-09-2005, 07:32 AM   #33
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Yes, of course not all GMs would be willing to give a summary And reading the whole rpg would give a much better understanding of the current situation.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:48 PM   #34
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

well, you wanna read the stuff for nazgul and kings ... almost 3,000 discussion posts, nearly 600 rpg posts, a third way the street for the formal info thread, our idea to make it less daunting ... maps, bios', pictures, an rpg poster planned ....

mmm.. totally forgot about Atharon ... must have a look sometime .... if that's still alright, Lief?
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:56 AM   #35
Huorn
Elven Warrior

Treebeard

When I play in a RPG I tend to be very atypical. I am not one of those who plays an Elf. I don't even play a Hobbit, Human, or even a Dwarf. I have no interest in such characters. The character I choose is a female limb lithe Oak. I just happen to like playing the unusual. I hope this forum allow me to do so. One site that I visit very often is called the Lotr Plaza because they allow me to do so. I will post here more frequently as I am allowed to play my charcter.

Just call me Oakie

Last edited by Huorn : 02-11-2006 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Mispelling
Huorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:15 AM   #36
E, LoR
Elven Warrior

it's been so long since i RPG-ed. I can't remember, can you start in the middle of one and just ask if you can play in it?

Special

Let's pant the world in magic in 90 seconds!

THATS RIGHT FOLK! E, LoR's BACK!
E, LoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:18 AM   #37
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Yes, but the GM will usually ask you to read the rest of the RPG.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #38
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

What TD said. It is almost always possible to work in a new character in the middle of a game.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:58 PM   #39
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

oh i don't know ... start with something small .... maybe a pebble?

and grow the character from there!
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:10 AM   #40
Huorn
Elven Warrior

Treebeard

I have been playing free form RPG's for six years now. I have quite a bit of experience at them. Now to the subject of godmoding. There is a fine line between what is acceptible and what is not. Sometimes it can get a thread moving and sometimes it can kill a thread.

The form of godmoding we are most familiar with is assuming or stating the actions of another person's character that is not stated in that person's post.

I'll use a story of an Elf and a Limb Lithe Oak for example. They are in a battle against a battalion of Orcs. The Elf is on the ground. The Oak is a newbie at this, so she posts that the Elf has climbed her branches and is shooting arrows. That is unacceptible god moding.

Here is another scenario where god moding is usually acceptible to move the story along. It is a healing house. There is an Elf Healer, and a wounded Gondorian. The Gondorian needs sutures to close a wound. The Elf needs to make him sleep. So in her post she gives him a drink of sleeping herbs and he drinks, falls asleep so she can stitch his wounds. She performs her repair of his wounds. If she had waited for him to post his drinking of the tea, it would have resulted in a small uninteresting post that splits her action. The thread may have been delayed or killed waiting for him to post his drinking.

Any kind of god moding that changes the personality or morals of the character is unacceptible. For example. You cannot make your character an illegitamate child or lover of another person's character without their permission. You cannot make assumpions about the private life of another character without their permission.

Another form of god moding is making your character the offspring of a Valar or some very famous person. Making them invincable is another form of god moding. God moding can be doing anything that is highly improbable with your character. I worked with one person who played an Ent. He made his Ent take up five acres. Yet he squeezed his Ent in the tower of Orthanc and had him tunnel underground! As you can see god moding takes many forms and guises.

Just call me Oakie

Last edited by Huorn : 07-18-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Huorn is offline   Reply With Quote