Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-10-2008, 01:40 AM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Journeys Info thread

This is the info thread for the RPG named Journeys. No chat here, please - only info

Everyone please post a little background info on their characters when you get a chance, and other handy-dandy info can be put here, too.

General RPG info : this RPG takes place in the year 1720 S.A.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 11-10-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:33 AM   #2
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

I've started to write about my family of characters in Varna's Family History in the Writers Workshop - so far there's mostly a list of who's who and of the RPGs where they appear, but there is also a post about Rameldir.

Character Bio (partly from that post):

Name: Rameldir
Race: Elf (Noldo)
Year of birth: 500FA
Parents: Erufailon, grandson of Lisseriel's and Elenwe's brother, and Arindis, daughter of Angrod.
Siblings: None
Titles: Captain of the archers of Lindon, later of Imladris.

Rameldir was one of the children who escaped from the fall of Gondolin, being only ten years old at the time. He lost both of his parents: Erufailon, who was related to Glorfindel, and Arindis, who was the daughter of Angrod, son of Finarfin. (Rameldir and Glorfindel are first cousins twice removed.) As Arindis, his mother, had been a close friend of Idril's - and as they were second cousins - Tuor and Idril took care of him and fostered him. After the Third Kinslaying, he was rescued by Gil-galad's and Cirdan's people and taken to the Isle of Balar, and after the fall of Beleriand, he stayed with Gil-galad in Lindon. He fought under Elrond in the force that Gil-galad sent against Sauron in SA 1695, and went with him to Rivendell when Elrond established it two years later.

Rameldir is a friendly soul, and prefers to have friendly relations with everybody, as far as possible (apart from the Orcs, who are the enemy). As an officer in the army, he knows that war may be necessary. But he's no warrior at heart.

Nor is he ambitious (he is a descendant of Finarfin, after all). He belongs to the Noldorin royalty, but he's not very much concerned about it. He is not one for pulling rank unnecessarily, and is trusted and well respected by his band of archers. He is an excellent archer himself, and the Captain of the archers in Gil-galad's and Elrond's armies.

He has a childhood trauma: At the age of ten, on flying from Gondolin, he saw his mother being cut down by an Orc. He can't handle a sword after that, it brings back those terrible moments, so he doesn't own one. Even using a dagger is bad enough - it will give him nightmares the next night. Bow and arrows is his chosen weapon, but he also carries a dagger, which he only uses in extreme necessity.

In peaceful times, he enjoys peaceful activities. He has always been interested in history, and he enjoyed developing his abilities as a scholar in the library of Gil-galad's palace.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen

Last edited by Varnafindë : 11-10-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Character Bio

Name: Glorfindel
Dates: c.1494YT – 510FA
Re-embodiment: c.1000SA
Return to Arda: c.1600SA
Parents: Culdafindé, son of Irime, and Lisseriel of the Vanyar.
Titles: Lord of the House of the Golden Flower, Captain of Gondolin, later of Imladris.

In theory Glorfindel is one of the oldest of the Noldor still in Arda by the time of his return, but he would remind you that he has at this point spent almost as much time being dead as he has spent being alive and that over half that life has been spent in Valinor, relearning how to live. So despite having existed for some 2000+ years of the Sun, he generally gives his net age as somewhere around 600. He feels this gives people realistic expectations and has the added benefit of confusing his many (more powerful) cousins, of whom he sometimes feels doomed to be perpetually the youngest.

Glorfindel is a prince of the house of Finwe through his grandmother Irime, whose closeness to her elder brother Fingolfin carried down the line, especially after Culdafindé and Turgon married the sisters Lisseriel and Elenwe. Both sisters and Culdafindé were lost while crossing the Helcaraxe and Glorfindel ended up staying with Turgon after this, as Idril was his favorite from among his cousins, and it was thought that having two adolescents to look after might draw Turgon out of his own grief. The lordship of his father’s house was kept in trust for Glorfindel until just after the move to Gondolin, at which point a whimsical nickname bestowed by his cousin Idril resulted in the house being re-named for the golden flowers which grew rather abundantly in the Vale of Tumladen.

While a lord of Gondolin, Glorfindel was good at it and was well loved throughout the city. Unfortunately, Turgon’s protective nature was not limited to his female relatives. It took a great deal of persuasion, and Glorfindel had to demonstrate twice the skill of some of the other captains, in order for his uncle to grant him responsibilities outside the safer aspects of running the city. This became more and more difficult as the First Age went on. After sustaining an injury while guarding the retreat at the Nirnaeth Arnoediad it became nearly impossible and Glorfindel did not leave Gondolin or engage in battle again until the city’s fall and his death in 510FA.

After being re-embodied he dwelt in Valinor for a time, frequently visiting Idril, Tuor and later Earendil as his memories returned. He was very restless there and was eventually granted the option of returning to Middle Earth, an option which he took, promising to his cousin before leaving that he would look after her grandson while there. He did not expect to be involved in another war so soon after returning, but doesn’t regret it. He enjoys working with Elrond and thinks that he wouldn’t mind settling in Imladris eventually, but would like to travel and see more of middle earth before doing so, as he feels he has a great deal of lost time to make up for.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yes, Varna, go ahead and edit in a summary in your post, and I'll edit in my character info in this post when I have it together.

Do something like Willow did - just some straightforward info at the top, then a little description - whatever would help people reading the RPG. Thanks!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 11-10-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

I've decided to give Ainon his own

Character Bio

Name: Ainon
Race: Elf (Sinda)
Year of birth: 90SA
Parents: His father is a Sinda, a survivor from Doriath. His mother is of the Nandor.

Ainon's mother was of those of the Nandor who had followed Lenwë rather than gone to Valinor, and who hadn't crossed the Misty Mountains. She was born some years before the Nirneath Arneodiad (The Battle of Unnumbered Tears). Her family lived in Laurelindorinan (which was later known as Lothlorien) along the River Anduin. Soon after the Fall of Beleriand, one of the refugees from Doriath, a Sinda who was fleeing from the new disaster, came all the way to their lands and met her there. They married in SA 35, and their son Ainon was born in SA 90.

As soon as Ainon had come of age, they moved west again, and travelled between various Elven settlements, before finally settling down in Edhellond. Ainon, on the other hand, continued to travel, until he took service with High King Gil-galad as one of his archers. This still gave him the opportunity to travel, especially after his skills grew until Rameldir, one of Gil-galad's Captains, chose him for his own band of selected archers. In addition to being an excellent archer, he was also many times able to act as a guide for the band's expeditions, because of his extensive travelling.

Rameldir took this band with him when Gil-galad sent them as a force under Elrond to fight Sauron in Eregion. Ainon was one of those who survived and retreated to the north, and were besieged in Rivendell. He's still one of Rameldir's archers there. He likes the place very much - he hasn't travelled anywhere for twenty years, and is surprised to feel content in one place. It must be the right place for him ...

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #6
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Now that we're a little further into the game, I noticed we're starting to get a build up of NPCs around Imladris, and thought I ought to list them here for ease of reference. I added some basic information, but feel free to expand and flesh out any of the characters listed since they're there for all of us.

Children:

Lhunril: F, elf, 17yrs. Orphan. Foster sister to Dorochu and Idhor.

Dorochu: M, elf, 29yrs. Older brother to Idhor and Lhunril.

Idhor: M, elf, 23yrs. Naethbor's best friend.

Faunuial: F, elf, 35yrs. Bossy.

Naethbor: M, elf, 24yrs. Faunuial's little brother, Idhor's best friend.

Eirien: F, human, 9yrs. Shy, likes stories.

Guards/Scouts (in order of command)

Caranlas

Thôndir

Haledhel

Kemmótar
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote