Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-02-2018, 04:08 AM   #1
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Mouth of Sauron as Lord of Isengard

I’m reading LotR again, and I have a question:

Supposing Frodo, Sam, and Gollum (let’s not forget him!) failed together to destroy the One Ring…

Had Sauron gotten his way at the Morannon, and the West accepted the demands of Sauron delivered by the Mouth of Sauron…

Do you suppose Sauron would have given his servant, Mouth of Sauron, the Ring of the deposed Witch-king?

And what do you suppose became of that old fellow, the Witch-king? I think his spirit was unable to leave the Circles of the World, bound to his Ring until either Sauron broke the binding, which he might not be able to easily accomplish without the One, though I suppose he could do it in time: he had after all been rather preoccupied during the ten day between the old boy’s discomfiture at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields and the Army of Gondor’s arrival at the Morannon, or the One Ring was destroyed, leaving the soul of the poor old Witch-king rather weak and – pardon the expression – dispirited before the throne of his no doubt unforgiving master, Sauron.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:18 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I can not help but think that the Aera of Rings would be over in a way regardless.

If Frodo and his companions failed and if (because the first does not automatically mean the latter) the Ring fell into Sauron's hands, he won, pure and simple.

The Elves Rings were not capable to standing up to Sauron in possession of his One Ring and the armies of old were long gone and would likely never be mustered to again. Not in this age. It would be run or submit for everybody else.

If the Mouth of Sauron had any brains, he'd rather ask for lands and positions for his services and politely say 'thank you for the offer but nooo' to any magical rings. It remains to be seen if the Nazgûl fully understood what they signed up for long ago when they accepted the Nine Rings. But at this point in time it is undoubtedly clear that the Rings are as much a shackle as anything else. There would be other and better ways to wield power in that 'brave new world'.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote