Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-07-2016, 07:43 PM   #1
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Trolls in The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Arathorn II son of Arador wed Gilraen daughter of DĂ*rhael in Third Age 2929, Shire reckoning 1329. The next year, according to the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen in Appendix A and the Tale of Years, Appendix B, Arador was killed by Trolls in the Coldfells north of Rivendell. Arathorn became Lord of the DĂşnedain. Two years later, Arathorn was killed fighting Orcs, and Gilraen took Aragorn to Rivendell, where Elrond became his foster-father and called him Estel.

When Aragorn was 10, Thorin & Co. passed through Rivendell, including Gandalf and Bilbo.

Do you suppose the hill-trolls that killed Arador were the same that Thorin & Co. found just west of Rivendell in the forested hills of Rhudaur?

Two asides:
  1. I wondered what a “coldfell” was. Cold Fell is the name of a 961 foot (293 m) hill in the Lake District. Nearby are the ruins of Calder Abbey with a fine medieval bridge built by the monks of the once-thriving place. Cold Fell is topped with curricks, stone structures attributed to shepherds, though I image they’re much older. (Megaliths.co.uk defines them as “ancient village or settlement.”) The place looks quite lovely: not at all as I imagined Tolkien’s rocky Ettenmoors would look, though it does appear be rather rocky in parts. A fellow named Graham Saunders has filmed the area extensively and posted his work to YouTube. Tolkien was probably familiar with the region, and used the name for the area north of Rivendell.
  2. “Gilraen took Aragorn to Imladris,” says Appendix A; but earlier, it says,
    Quote:
    After Arvedui the North-kingdom ended, for the Dúnedain were now few and the peoples of Eriador diminished. Yet the line of the kings was continued by the Chieftains of the Dúnedain, of whom Aranarth son of Arvedui was the first. Arahael his son was fostered in Rivendell, and so were all the sons of the chieftains after him…
    There is no question that Aragorn was also “fostered in Rivendell,” for Elrond stood in place of his deceased father. But it sounds to me as if Arathorn was trying to hide his wife and son; for in Return of the King, Aragorn told Legolas and Gimli, “To know that I lived and walked the earth was a blow to [Sauron’s] heart, I deem; for he knew it not till now.”
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:32 AM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Reminds me of one of my early Entmoot posts:

http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...=swords+trolls

It's been awhile - I hope I did that right.

Anyway - see my two cents at Post #22. I tried to link to that post, but have forgotten how!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:45 PM   #3
Mordomin
Enting

The fate of the slayers of Arador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
Do you suppose the hill-trolls that killed Arador were the same that Thorin & Co. found just west of Rivendell in the forested hills of Rhudaur?
No, I don't. Mainly, because I wrote this fan-fic about the fate of those trolls. LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
[*]“Gilraen took Aragorn to Imladris,” says Appendix A; but earlier, it says,There is no question that Aragorn was also “fostered in Rivendell,” for Elrond stood in place of his deceased father. But it sounds to me as if Arathorn was trying to hide his wife and son; for in Return of the King, Aragorn told Legolas and Gimli, “To know that I lived and walked the earth was a blow to [Sauron’s] heart, I deem; for he knew it not till now.”[/list]
I think that it was generally believed that the line of Isildur had died with Arathorn II, and this belief was encouraged by Gilraen and Elrond. Among others, it fooled the Elf-lord who featured in the story in my previous link. Here is the story of how he felt about being so deceived.

Last edited by Mordomin : 05-22-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Mordomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:37 PM   #4
Valandil

Wow Mordomin - you haven't posted since before I joined. Welcome back! And I was in Chicago myself for 26 years - until this past August.

*going to check out your fanfic*

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 05-22-2016, 09:44 PM   #5
Valandil

I should have recognized the name - I know you from SF Fandom!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 05-23-2016, 05:26 AM   #6
Mordomin
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
I should have recognized the name - I know you from SF Fandom!
I hope you mean that in a good way! I wanted to link some of my stories to my friends at Entmoot. Maybe link the entire "Mordomin Gateway", but first I wanted to find out how welcome fan-fiction was.

Last edited by Mordomin : 05-24-2016 at 02:17 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:15 AM   #7
Mordomin
Enting

I hope that I am still welcome here.

It is nice to be remembered. For my part, I remembered Entmoot, and I wanted to see what I had been missing.

Last edited by Mordomin : 05-23-2016 at 07:04 AM.