Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-20-2002, 07:47 PM   #1
nazgul prince
Enting

Nazgul Animated hobbit and rotk

Hi has anyone out there seen the rankin and bass middle earth movies.If u have and this may sound stupid but does glamdring and orcrist glow in it.And how does the rotk start off?I can't find them at my video store.
nazgul prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 12:37 PM   #2
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Sorry, I can't help you with this one. I haven't seen them.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 04:34 PM   #3
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
I've seen the animated Hobbit by Hanna-Barbera. Sting and Glamdring do glow in The animated Hobbit. I suggest you see it. The long legged frogs are elves and Gollum needs a hair cut but the dragon ROCKS as does the scenery and the tunes to the songs are purdy good for 70's style.
I haven't seen animated ROTK but from what I HAVE seen of the cover and stuff I dont know that I want to. I have seen Ralph Bakshi's version of FOTR and TTT...*polite cough* The first bit...the Fellowship Of The Ring is actually ok. I mean you can get a few laughs out of the animation(ok more than just a FEW). But after the breaking of the fellowship it goes down hill from there.
Cheers NP,
Sam
ps. Welcome to the Moot. Enjoy your stay here.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 07:44 PM   #4
Entlover
Elven Warrior

I've seen the Rankin-Bass version of Return of the King several times over the years, and always enjoy it. It starts with all the hobbits and Bilbo at Elrond's house celebrating Bilbo's 129th birthday, where he notices that Frodo is missing a finger and asks what happened to his ring.
then it spends 5 minutes going through the story up to where Sam is banging on the doors of the Black Gate, and goes on from there. I especially like the music of Glen Yarbrough in it.
Rankin-Bass also did the Last Unicorn, which I love.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 08:12 PM   #5
nazgul prince
Enting

Nazgul

Wow that sounds familer entlover mabey i did see it as a kid.
nazgul prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 08:38 PM   #6
Khadrane
Elf Lord

I saw the animated Hobbit. I actually like it. It's a nice cross between corny and cool. I don't remember how I felt about RotK. I do, however, know that I totally despise Bashki's LotR. I don't even want to think about it.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 02:04 PM   #7
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
I like the Hobbit too and I might just want to see ROTK now. But I have to agree with Khadrane...RB's LOTR is TERRIBLE. Actually I like making fun of the animation. Has anyone noticed that Sauron's silohette at the very beginning whil he's forging the ring looks like a knight who says Nee? And as the Ring is taking over Smeagol after he kills Deagol? Looks like he swallowed it more then anythin'. And the "seventeen years passed slowly and quietly in The Shire"line. Slowly and QUIETLY? Yeah OK right. All cn say is RB had a messed up idea of what slowly and quietly meant.
And the furry bedroom slippered butterfly they call the Balrog I could just SEE the conversation: Gandalf:*leaning over to Frodo and muttering* Do you have a fly swatter Frodo?
Cheers,
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 09:26 PM   #8
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Hee hee, samwise. So true. Did you notice that half the time they called Saruman "Aruman"? I guess they didn't want us to get him mixed up with Sauron... but they should have at least been consistent... I mean the other half of the time they decided to call him Saruman again... And Sam, well, I can't even describe how much I hated him in that movie. It made me wanna pewk. Literally.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 08:33 PM   #9
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

Treebeard

yeah, gladring and sting do glow. i've seen the animated the hobbit but not rotk. i've also seen the animated fotr and ttt. the hobbit is really good so i recomend you seee it because it's awesome and fotr and ttt to. the ents are trees with faces! fotr is ok, but sam looks geeky with his buck teeth and all, and the orcs look really weird, but their good movies nontheless. i've never seen rotk sorry