Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion > The Silmarillion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-23-2003, 06:04 PM   #1
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
There was this guy Melkor who was a very powerful Vala, who perverted some of the Ñoldor, but that has been overlooked in this thread.
Maedhros has a good point here about Melkor. It was not only Fëanor who listened to and were stirred by Melkor's cunning talk and lies. Many of the Ñoldor had become proud and unrestful by the lies of Melkor, but it was only Fëanor who rebelled openly, and so he got the blame.
Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
It is my opinion that those who value the retrieval of stolen jewels, no matter how beautiful, above all else, including one's own life and the lives of others, is someone who has a limited ability to love others, no matter how brilliant a craftsman of earth and language he is.
I see your point. But still Fëanor did love other people: His mother and father, and Nerdanel, and his sons. The Silmarillion says about Fëanor that
Quote:
his father was dearer to him than the Light of Valinor or the peerless works of his hands; and who among sons, of Elves or of Men, have held their fathers of greater worth?
Also, to give up the Silmarils may be harder than we can imagine. The words spoken by Aulë and Fëanor when the two trees have been slain and and Fëanor si asked by the Valar to break the Silmarils says something about that:
Quote:
Then Tulkas cried: 'Speak, O Noldo, yea or nay! But who shall deny Yavanna? And did not the light of the Silmarils come from her work in the beginning?'
But Aulë the Maker said: 'Be not hasty! We ask a greater thing than thou knowest. Let him have peace yet awhile.'
But Fëanor spoke then, and cried bitterly: 'For the less even as for the greater there is some deed that he may accomplish but once only; and in that deed his heart shall rest. It may be that I can unlock my jewels, but never again shall I make their like; and if I must break them, I shall break my heart, and I shall be slain; first of all the Eldar in Aman.'
Fëanor is such a tragic character. He has this magnificent potential, but if everything he makes with his hands and his minds are wonderful, his personal relations ends with disaster, from the very beginning of his life.

Last edited by Artanis : 04-23-2003 at 06:05 PM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 10:49 PM   #2
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
I disagree. According to the Silmarillion he left Fingolfin behind because he feared the treachery that was predicted in the Doom of the Noldor.
There is a passage from the Shibboleth that states that Fingolfin was claiming the High kinship of the Ñoldor too in the time of the revolt.
Funny that he urged the needless baggage to come forth and then leave them behind.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:31 AM   #3
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I was re-reading Eärniel's excellent summary and came across Nerdanel's name, and I thought I would include this interesting little quote from HoME 10, Morgoth's Ring, for those that don't have it (it refers to when Fëanor was banished from Túna (why, oh why did JRRT give that city a fish's name!!) for 12 years for drawing his sword on Fingolfin:
Quote:
But Nerdanel would not go with him, and she asked leave to abide with Indis, whom she had ever esteemed, though this had been little to the liking of Fëanor.
Rather interesting that Nerdanel the wise chose this course of action, isn't it? It also implies that Indis was not with Finwë anymore, since Finwë went with Fëanor.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 04-25-2003 at 12:34 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 02:31 AM   #4
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by R*an
Rather interesting that Nerdanel the wise chose this course of action, isn't it?
Her not following Fëanor, or her abiding with Indis? The first is straightforward enough, since she didn't support the actions that led to Fëanor's banishment from Túna. The latter is more subtle. She must have known that this would be a blow to her husband.
Quote:
It also implies that Indis was not with Finwë anymore, since Finwë went with Fëanor.
Finwë and Indis became estranged, because Finwë's heart still was with M*riel, I think.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:48 PM   #5
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally posted by R*an
(it refers to when Fëanor was banished from Túna (why, oh why did JRRT give that city a fish's name!!)
Tuna was the hill upon which Tirion the Fair was built. I admit it always gives me the mental picture of a beautiful elven city sitting atop a tuna salad on rye.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:01 PM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Just because I never wanted it to be the fish name, I always pronounced it (Twna). Oh well.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 08:00 PM   #7
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus
Tuna was the hill upon which Tirion the Fair was built. I admit it always gives me the mental picture of a beautiful elven city sitting atop a tuna salad on rye.
And I can't keep the image of opened tin cans laying around the base of the hill out of my head, either - pass the pickles!

(You're right about Tuna/Tirion - thanks! - I get them mixed up)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 05-01-2003, 11:46 PM   #8
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Well, R*an my dear, i I guess and hope that we will get some more tomorrow. Awaiting it cheerfully yet impatiently.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:43 AM   #9
Rían

What, more tuna? *heads off to the kitchen* Rats! out of pickles!

Old 10-05-2018, 08:07 AM   #10
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I find it now kind of bothers me that Fëanor was such genius with no compare. In our world, in every field of technology, art or science there is never one genius that compasses them all. Everyone has to build on those that came before them. We have may individuals like Einstein or Archimedes that make great leaps forward but no one makes them all on their own.

In the Silmarillion we have Fëanor who -in his youth!- already improves their entire writing system all on his own. And then he goes on. He masters seemingly everything and then goes far beyond everybody else. Public speaking! Linguistics! Glassmaking! Lampmaking! Smithy-work of every kind! He even taught himself to make swords from scratch! And he gets to keep it all completely a secret. None of his own inventions or techniques are even guessed at by others. No one ever afterwards discovers his processes or re-invent them.

Even for mythology as this is, I'm finding this a bit much. If someone can make a scientific or technological discovery, so can others, sometimes even doing so at the same time. Not so with Fëanor, even in ages afterwards no one comes close. I'd like there to be at least something in which he didn't succeed at all no matter how much he tried. I'd would have made him more human. Or maybe I just think Fëanor is too much of a jerk to be so good...
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #11
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Maybe Feanor just had good PR. Or stole the inventions of others. Say... perhaps he just started with the written language aspect, and then started writing all kinds of good things about himself.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #12
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Now that would be fiendish...
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote