Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-27-1999, 06:41 PM   #1
bmilder

Favorite quotes

What are your favorite quotes and scenes from LotR? I like the classic "What has it got in its pocketses" by Gollum. (Oh wait, that's the Hobbit... well, regardless of the forum this is in you can take quotes from whatever book you want ) "Fool of a Took!"
Old 11-27-1999, 07:38 PM   #2
Darth Tater

Re: Favorite quotes

A quote that doesn't get noticed as much as it should: "No, they eat and drink, Sam. The shadow that bred them can only mock, it cannot make: not real new things of its own. I don't think it gave life to the orcs, it only ruined them and twisted them; and if they are to live at all, they have to live like oter living creatures." A powerfull message in this age of where man thinks he has the right to create living beings himself, this age of cloning. That's how I read it anyways.
Old 11-28-1999, 06:57 AM   #3
Elanor

The best one of all, at the Grey Havens: "'But,' said Sam, and tears started in his eyes, 'I thought you were going to enjoy the Shire, too, for years and years, after all you have done.' "'So I thought too, once. But I have been too deeply hurt, Sam. I tried to save the Shire, and it has been saved, but not for me. It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: some one has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them." --Frodo
Old 11-28-1999, 12:11 PM   #4
emilsson

Excellent choice, Elanor! I like that one too. My favorite though is from the Silmarillion: "Many are the strange chances of the world, said Mithrandir, and help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter"
Old 01-15-2000, 11:16 PM   #5
dmaul96

dfymntdhn

"Hobbits always so polite, yes. O nice hobbits! Sméagol brings them up secret ways that nobody else could find. Tired he is, thirsty he is, yes thirsty; and he guides them and he searches for paths, and they say 'sneak, sneak'. Very nice friends, O yes my precious, very nice." That is my favorite quote ever!
Old 01-20-2000, 02:44 AM   #6
Spock1

Re: dfymntdhn

The road goes ever onward. Indeed!
Old 01-20-2000, 07:44 PM   #7
Darth Tater

Re: dfymntdhn

Great series of poems!
Old 01-21-2000, 09:50 AM   #8
Fat middle

What about this...

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens" (Gimli) "Maybe, but let him not vow to walk in the dark, who has not seen the nightfall"(Elrond) "Yet sworn word may strengthen quaking heart" (Gimli) "Or break it" (Elrond)
Old 01-31-2000, 04:26 PM   #9
ArwenUndomiel02

Re: What about this...

My favorite is actually a song. The Oliphaunt song, recited by Sam. But as 1)It's really long, and 2)I don't have my book here at school, I won't write it out...
Old 02-02-2000, 08:17 PM   #10
galadriel1

Elanor, great quote! It is so true to life! Spock!!!! You finally made it over to the board! Awesome! What do you think of our crazy little bunch? As for one of my favorite quotes, check out my new sig. Of course, it`s one of The Lady`s quotes. :-)
Old 02-02-2000, 08:27 PM   #11
galadriel1

And of course this classic rhyme is a favorite: All that is gold does not glltter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither; Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken; The crownless again shall be king.
Old 02-02-2000, 10:46 PM   #12
Smack Down Hotel 2

'Yes, Perhaps, Yes' Said Gollum. 'Sméagol always helps, if they asks - if they asks nicely.' 'Right!' said Sam 'I does ask. and if that isnt nice enough, I begs.' I love that chapter, "Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit", it's funny
Old 02-02-2000, 11:18 PM   #13
Darth Tater

So many good quots! I really love the Aragorn poem thing too, as a matter of fact I've done some projects based on it in school. No one but this one teacher had any clue what it was about, but who cares, I liked em anyways.
Old 04-17-2000, 09:29 AM   #14
andustar

lol i got here and i have so much to say... no one my age seems to want to talk about tolkien you will be seeing me very often from now
well anyway my fav quote is from UT - the hunt for the ring, but its not something that someone said. ok here;
(saruman has been talking nonsense at the council, and gandalf is smoking his pipe. saruman gets annoyed with the way gandalf sits there silently blowing rings and begins to taunt him. gandalf laughs at first but -)

Gandalf did not laugh again, and he did not answer, but looking keenly at Saruman he drew on his pipe and sent out a great ring of smoke with many smaller rings that followed it. Then he put up his hand, as if to grasp them, and they vanished. With that he got up and left.

i love that... it was gandalfs way of showing saruman that 'desire to posses them had begun to enter into his policies and his study of the lore of the Rings, and warning him that if he tried to grasp them they would elude him.'

of course thats not my real fav but all my best ones from the Lord of the Rings have been put up already, besides i love everything to do with gandalf
andustar
Old 04-17-2000, 04:11 PM   #15
Darth Tater

andustar knows what my current favorite quote is
Old 04-17-2000, 06:28 PM   #16
andustar

yes btw ive decided to stop posting so much or youl all get sick of me
so i won't even tell them all what your quote was
Old 04-17-2000, 11:04 PM   #17
anduin

Andustar...you must tell us....or at least Tater...speak up!
Old 04-18-2000, 07:53 PM   #18
andustar

well since ive given up being silent... gandalf says in the sil, 'help shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter'
gtg now sorry, would write more
Old 04-19-2000, 03:53 PM   #19
Yazad

One of my favorites

Of course it's nearly impossible to choose one, but here's a go...

Gandalf did not move. And in that very moment, away behind in some courtyard of the City, a @#%$ crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of wizardry or war, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the shadows of death was coming with the dawn.
And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns. In dark Mindoullin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.

P.S. LMAO, I can't believe it bleeped out the word for rooster. Too funny!
Old 04-19-2000, 03:58 PM   #20
bmilder

Re: One of my favorites

Yeah, :lol:

If I had control over the censor I'd take that word out, but unfortunately ezboard doesn't have a customizable profanity block list yet. I don't want to turn off the censor since it's useful overall, but I feel sorry for anyone named Richard who uses a nickname