Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-07-2004, 07:55 PM   #1
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

Why not Snape?

Why can't Snape get the Defense Against the dark Arts position? Is it because he was a Death Eater and he might teach them bad stuff, or because Dumbledore doesn't really trust him -that- much? I mean, he obviously knows a whole lot about it, and Dumbledore seems to think he is good, so why can't he get the job? especially in book 5 when Dumbledore is forced to let Umbridge be on the staff.

Poor Snapey Wapey. *shudders* ok, that was weird.

Anywho, what are your thoughts, good Mooters?

If I can stop one heart from aching, I shall not live in vain. -Emily Dickinson

But the Master comes, and the foolish crowd
Never can quite understand
The worth of a soul and the change that is wrought
By the touch of the Master's hand.

Though she be but little, she is fierce! -MSND
PippinTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:07 PM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I once asked..."I wonder why Snape wants the DADA position so badly?" Enquiring minds want to know both these things!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 11:47 PM   #3
inked
Elf Lord

The only real data we have on that question is that it is rumoured that Snape wants the DADA job. And school rumors are usually unreliable in my recollection (after all, how many people really had cooties, anyway?). Besides good Potions masters have to be pretty rare. Snape seems to be excellent at that. And, come to think of it, Snape's failure to get the post provides good cover for his rejoining the Death Eaters as a spy. He could use it along with Occlumency to prevent Voldemort from discovering his lying.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 02:32 PM   #4
azalea
Long lost mooter

It has been mentioned at least twice that he has applied for it every year (once when Harry asked Dumbledore, and once when Umbridge asked Snape about it), so we do know he would like the job. But we don't know why he isn't given it, except that I think it was hinted (although it may have been my mind filling in the blanks) that his being around the Dark Arts any more than necessary might tempt him to start using them again. I don't think Dumbledore wants to be an enabler.

As to why he wants the job -- he's always been into the Dark Arts, and that seems to have been his first love, academically speaking. I happen to have the theory that his father used dark arts, and we know how things learned at an early age can be so ingrained in people. He knows he'd be good at it as well.
Plus, he may hate Voldie so much now that he wants to make sure those Death Eaters get a real you-know-what kicking from the future Aurors! Who knows?
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:26 AM   #5
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I think Snape would be a great Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, but who could possibly match him as a potions master?

He's unreasonably biased to Gryffindors in his class, but even they admit that he's a brilliant Potions master.

I think he's biased because he's cultivating Malfoy so he can get information from him. We know now that he's a spy for the Order.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:49 AM   #6
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

we know he's knowledge in the dark arts, and thereafter DADA, is great. and i think he would have done great as DADA teachers. but i think maybe he might be tempted to use them again, and then, maybe, join voldemort.

and he is a reat Potion-maker, and i think it would be easy to find his equal.

i don't think he will be DADA teacher in the books, beacuse of thesee things.