Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion > The Silmarillion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2003, 05:01 PM   #1
Elanor Gamgee
Hobbit

The Silmarillion: Ch.4, Of Thingol and Melian

Looks like time to start a new chapter

Of Thingol and Melian is, probably, the shortest chapter of The Silmarillion, just one and a half pages long. Actually, I would like to quote it in full, but the software doesn't allow it; the message gets too long.

It should be noted that this legend seems to endure from the earliest writings in Tolkien’s mythology. The tale of a “child of Gods” and one of the Elves is mentioned already in The Tale of Tinúviel (Book of Lost Tales, II), and subsequently in Annals of Aman (HoME X) and Grey Annals (HoME XI). We can assume that this plot twist was crucial for the whole mythology.
I believe, it is possible to discuss this chapter in two ways: internal, “from within” they mythology, and external, as a developing plot twist throughout Tolkien’s writings. My ideas about any “external” discussion are very tentative; I think, it could be interesting to trace the image of Thingol was changed, from a wild wood-elf in The Tale of Tinúviel to a mighty elf-lord, “like a lord of the Maiar” in both Grey Annals and Annals of Aman.
Now to the discussion “from within”.
Actually, Melian was the only Ainu who espoused one of the Children of Ilúvatar. For her this love became a great sacrifice, because after she had given birth to a child, she lost the innate self-incarnation ability of the Ainur (as stated in Osanwe-kenta). Besides, this is a classical example of love at first sight, and with very grave consequences. So, the questions are:
Why was this fateful love so important? Was it a part of the Great Vision? What about the freedom of will: were Melian and Thingol doomed to fall in love? Why was Melian the only Ainu to fall in love? And a reverse question: what was so special in Thingol to make an Ainu to fall in love with him?

And now, a few more questions on somewhat lighter note (since I’m a hobbit, and hobbits are carefree and disrespectful ):
It has always been my understanding that Melian enchanted Thingol to make him fall in love and subsequently marry her. Can her behaviour be categorised as sexual harassment or sexual assault?
When Thingol saw Melian and took her hand he fell in trans and endured over 200 yrs. How was it possible? Unlike Melian, who was a spirit (even though embodied) Thingol was of flesh and blood, and had to eat, sleep and so on. Did Melian provide some kind of sustenance for him by holding his hand, or did she simply stop time?

Extra reading:
The Tale of Tinúviel (Book of Lost Tales, II)
Annals of Aman (HoME X)
Grey Annals (HoME XI).

Pictures and maps:
Rolozo Tolkien can be warmly recommended for both, http://fan.theonering.net/rolozo/
Map links could be also found here: http://valarguild.org/varda/Tolkien/encyc/maps.htm
Nor bid the stars farewell.
Elanor Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote