Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-20-2010, 03:34 AM   #1
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

In fact, I recall we used to use it as our Sacred Book during our home-made ceremonies.

My mom had played an Amazon Queen in one of her Little Theatre group's productions, so she had an actual metal theatrical sword that had broken in half that was one of our major props (the Sword That Was Broken), and we used some statues, tapestries and brass candle-holders and plates that my dad had brought back from India back when he was a ship's captain.

We'd light the candles and incense in my basement and perform incantations to try to open the Gates to the Seventy Steps to the Dream World....

Never got anywhere, IIRC, but it was a great way to pick up girls.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 06-20-2010 at 03:38 AM.
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser
Actually, during my brief occult/esoteric phase at age 15 (anyone remember Lobsang Rampa and the Third Eye?) the "Dream-Quest" was one of my greatest influences.
Really? I'd always assumed that it was just one fellow out there who saw it that way. There must have been at least two, it looks like. That intrigues me, though; I wonder how common such a use of the Dream-Quest is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Never got anywhere, IIRC, but it was a great way to pick up girls.
Was it? I would have thought shenanigans like that would rank somewhere around Dungeons and Dragons on the chick-o-metre.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:38 AM   #3
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Really? I'd always assumed that it was just one fellow out there who saw it that way. There must have been at least two, it looks like. That intrigues me, though; I wonder how common such a use of the Dream-Quest is?
Well, there are plenty of people out there looking for the "genuine" Necronomicon. Our effect was somewhat spoiled by having a cheap paperback...I think we used to sometimes substitute a more impressive-looking fake-leather copy of Reader's Digest Limited Edition reprints. We're probably lucky we didn't summon up the spirit of Dear Abby.

Quote:
Was it? I would have thought shenanigans like that would rank somewhere around Dungeons and Dragons on the chick-o-metre.
We were fifteen...and it was the late 60s...plus it was more Ouija boards, seances and such-like mumbo-jumbo, which females tend to appreciate more.

And 'metre'? Looks like you might be getting brainwashed by your stay in Canuckistan... you'll be saying 'Zed' and 'leftenant' next

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Our effect was somewhat spoiled by having a cheap paperback...I think we used to sometimes substitute a more impressive-looking fake-leather copy of Reader's Digest Limited Edition reprints.
Now, that's a suitable focus of eldritch powers.

Quote:
And 'metre'? Looks like you might be getting brainwashed by your stay in Canuckistan... you'll be saying 'Zed' and 'leftenant' next
Say rather, I now have an excuse for my long-existing penchant for British/Canadian spellings; I don't see Zed or Leftenant happening any time soon, though, except in parody.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote