Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-17-2000, 03:39 AM   #1
IronParrot

I've decided to name various electronic devices after things in LOTR

You see, I've always been tempted to pull out my calculator and cry out, "Elendil!" but the uncultured people I'm stuck around just wouldn't get it, for the most part...

So I've decided to take a different approach towards satiating my desire to bestow names upon my calculators and computers. I've decided that my trusty lightweight Sharp EL-546L scientific calculator Sting - sleek, yet trusty. Then there's my TI-86 graphing calculator, Glamdring... the big powerful one. Of course, there's my PalmPilot... which I actually dropped and broke once, until I found spare parts from another PalmPilot and replaced the damaged circuit board. That's obviously Anduril, the "PDA that was Broken but Now Reforged". The computer I'm typing this on is a sleek, ultralight notebook that blazes along at 366MHz - excellent for a portable... so it's obviously Shadowfax. Last but not least is my old Mac laptop... a 1994 model I haven't used in two years now... leaving it behind in pursuit of new technology. What else could that be but Bill the Pony? (If it were a Sony, would it be "Bill the Sony"?)

Right... look at me funny all you want... :lol:
Old 03-17-2000, 07:36 AM   #2
Elanor

Re: I've decided to name various electronic devices after things in LOTR

j/k

Well, the latest news from Intel: The LVS circuit (which will become the next one after the next one released) test-ran at 5 GHz today! My dad's designing it. So I guess that would be Thorondor, huh? The Willamette (the project name for the next one released--probably in September) is at 3 GHz. Meet Gwaihir.
Old 03-17-2000, 06:04 PM   #3
Darth Tater

Re: I've decided to name various electronic devices after things in LOTR

Hey, everything of mine is named after a Tolkien thing
Old 03-17-2000, 07:22 PM   #4
Hernalt

Tolkien's are great, but I make up my own names. Except for my violin Ivalisse. (IRL Ivalisse was hotter than Luthien+Galadriel+Arwen squared.)

I *could name my car the Barrow-wight.
Old 03-18-2000, 03:38 AM   #5
Elanor

Re: ...

My cello's name is Chelly. Not very original, I'm afraid. Do you play your violin?
Old 03-18-2000, 12:47 PM   #6
Hernalt

Chelly the cello! xD cute.

Of course I don't "play" Ivalisse! I.. nevermind. But no, I just started a few weeks ago and am no where near performance-level. I play it for fun and because fiddle is lightning flashing, thunder clapping, horses stomping, Celtic seizure.
Old 03-18-2000, 03:58 PM   #7
Darth Tater

Naughty hernalt! There are little people watching
Old 03-18-2000, 04:24 PM   #8
Fat middle

hmmm, sure it´s not so cool as a fat fiddle
Old 03-18-2000, 05:01 PM   #9
Hernalt

Fat Fiddle = Upright Bass

:-)
Old 03-19-2000, 07:17 AM   #10
Elanor

Yeah, they are pretty fat! I've always thought double-basses laughable to look at.