Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-11-2003, 08:59 PM   #1
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Samwise the incompetent spy

The conspiracy of Merry, Pippin, Fredegar Bolger, and Sam was formed to keep an eye on Frodo and to assist him when he ultimately left the Shire. Merry had known about Bilbo's ring for years, and had even seen the Red Book.

Sam was identified as the chief investigator and spy for the conspiracy, and the source of much of their information. However, he is said to have "regarded himself as on parole" after being caught by Gandalf and ceased sharing information.

But...

Sam was caught during the very conversation in which Gandalf identified the Ring. What information could he have given to the conspiracy?

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 09:56 PM   #2
Ilúvatar
Hobbit

Gandalf

Gandalf does come and go several times between the party and the time he tells Frodo the history of the Ring. I also always thought that it was mostly that they wanted to know what Gandalf was saying to Frodo during all those visits and just a general interest in the Ring. They mention they know the Ring makes a user invisible and that Gandalf has some interest in the Ring, but I think that is as far as Sam was able to give them.
Ilúvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 11:56 PM   #3
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I have always thought that Samwise had quit supplying information to the conspiracy, but was eavesdropping on his own hook, that night. Eru knows that I would have.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:32 AM   #4
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I thought Sam told Merry and Pippin that Frodo would be leaving the Shire, not living at Crickhollow like he pretended to everybody else. But then Merry and Pippin had guessed this because of Frodo's mutterings, so it probably wasn't important. Merry had seen Bilbo's book, but it would have only been The Hobbit and maybe parts of The Silmarillion, and he only had a quick glance. He probably didn't know the Ring was evil, so Sam might have supplied that information.

It's said in the book Sam collected a lot of information before he was caught. I think Sam was keeping an eye on Frodo, making sure he didn't take off without the other conspirators' knowledge.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:01 PM   #5
Attalus

Well, everybody in Hobbiton was agog with Gandalf's visit, no doubt. Sam probably suspected that Frodo might go off with him or because of him, as Bilbo had done. That's why he gasped. His suspicions were confirmed!
Old 12-12-2003, 03:36 PM   #6
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
It's said in the book Sam collected a lot of information before he was caught. I think Sam was keeping an eye on Frodo, making sure he didn't take off without the other conspirators' knowledge.
That's my point. What information was there to give (besides the trivial "Frodo had sausages and bacon for second breakfast today") before he was caught?

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 05:32 PM   #7
Attalus

Well, the negative information that he hadn't been packing, I guess.