Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-27-2003, 11:35 PM   #1
Maedhros
The Tall

Was the Ring the Ruin of Sauron?

When you read LOTR, you notice that when the one Ring was destroyed, Sauron too was utterly defeated, so it would be logical to assume that it was so but, what if we look at it in another way.
Remember that Sauron had been disembodied in Númenorë, and he had been defeated in the war of the Last Alliance. Had he not made his ring, would he have been able to come back from that?
Take for example the Lord of the Balrogs, Gothmog. I think that his power level comparing to Sauron must be very similar. When Gothmog was killed by the lord of the Fountains, he was unable to reincarnate himself. Now, if he couldn't do it, why would Sauron be able to?
My guess is that without the Ring, Sauron would not have gotten that far in ME.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 12:31 AM   #2
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

Sauron concentrated all of his power into this one Ring. This was not very smart IMO.
If he hadnt made the ring in the first place, he wouldnt have had enough power to do much of anything
Old 02-28-2003, 01:00 AM   #3
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
The way I look at it is this: Sauron was his own undoing. So was the Balrog. Saruman destroyed himself as well. I think that whenever a Maia wanted to appear in physical form on ME they could choose how big and powerful that physical (and destructable) form.
In creating their physical form they would use the power they were created with, and so some of the power that went into their physical body was taken out of the essence they were created as, so if their physical form was destroyed, the SPIRIT that lived within the body would be of no harm to anyone and would basically kick itself in the tail for being so stupid.
Take Sauron for example. He was more powerful than all the 5 istari wizards combined, but because he put all or most of his power into the making of Baradur and the Ring he hardly had any for himself, so when the Ring was destroyed his spirit, his entity was destroyed as well. Kind of sad really, one of the greatest Maia reduced to less than a quivering mass of nerves just because of pride, stupidity, and a hobbit. *shakes head*
Cheers,
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 09:27 AM   #4
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Sauron concentrated all of his power into this one Ring. This was not very smart IMO.
If he hadnt made the ring in the first place, he wouldnt have had enough power to do much of anything
I completely disagree with this statement. If Sauron had use part of his power in the making of the One Ring, he would have kept a greater part of his inherent power, he had plenty of power to do a great many things.
Quote:
Take Sauron for example. He was more powerful than all the 5 istari wizards combined, but because he put all or most of his power into the making of Baradur and the Ring he hardly had any for himself, so when the Ring was destroyed his spirit, his entity was destroyed as well. Kind of sad really, one of the greatest Maia reduced to less than a quivering mass of nerves just because of pride, stupidity,
Again, I completely disagree with this statement. There is no textual evidence to suggest that Sauron was more powerful than the other Istari combined. Sauron seemed more powerful because he had no restrictions regarding his power as did the Istari. When the Ring was destroyed, his spirit was not destroy, it just lost a great amount of his power that left him unable to reincarnate himself.
Have you ever wondered if Sauron would have survived his two previous dis-incarnations if he hadn't had an anchor like the Ring?
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:54 AM   #5
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Sauron was powerful before the creation of the Ring, but would he have survived these other two episodes if he had not made the Ring? This is a re-direction of his power. Did any Elf, Man, or group togeter stand a chance of victory against him without the existance of the Ring? He was greater than they, but probably not invincable. When he made the Ring, it gave him something to draw on. Reminds me of a bank account in a way. Whats the best way to conserve money. You'll spend more in a checking account so when you start spending frivolously the funds dwindle. What's a good solution? Tranfer the money into a savings account, then you have reserves to draw on. So perhaps what this comes down to, is that by the Ring holding most of his power, bought him more time than it would have otherwise, but, with or without the Ring, Sauron"s demise was inevitable.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 11:12 AM   #6
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
There is no textual evidence to suggest that Sauron was more powerful than the other Istari combined. Sauron seemed more powerful because he had no restrictions regarding his power as did the Istari. When the Ring was destroyed, his spirit was not destroy, it just lost a great amount of his power that left him unable to reincarnate himself.
I disagree with that. Now, I don't mean that he would be able to take on all five Istari together; that I think is rather unlikely. But stating that the reason he seemed more powerful was because of restrictions; that I would disagree with. In the third volume, Gandalf said, 'I am Gandalf, Gandalf the White; but Black is greater still'. (or something like that )

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 11:20 AM   #7
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
'I am Gandalf, Gandalf the White; but Black is greater still'. (or something like that
All that says, is that Sauron was greater than Gandalf, not all of the Istari together. The Istari were probably as powerful as Sauron in their true sense, but they were restricted by the Valar in useing their power in Middle-earth. Sauron had no such restrction because he was evil and totally defiant of the Valar.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 11:42 AM   #8
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Yes, that's what I meant. I read Maedhros' post as saying that the only reason he seemed stronger than the Istari in general, not as a whole, was because of restrictions. Of course, I was probably wrong.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 12:55 PM   #9
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
All that says, is that Sauron was greater than Gandalf, not all of the Istari together. The Istari were probably as powerful as Sauron in their true sense, but they were restricted by the Valar in useing their power in Middle-earth. Sauron had no such restrction because he was evil and totally defiant of the Valar.
Now we are sounding shockingly like Star Wars here. This idea is most likely rooted in religious belief. That good requires restraint. Where as doing evil requires simply power and the willingness to use it to create chaos. You could also say it follows the natural order of the universe really. That entropy is the natural path of all matter. It takes energy to concentrate things in an organized way because you are fighting against the natural tendency of the universe to become uniform which we percieve as chaos. Where as doing evil takes little more then letting things fall apart or perhaps encouraging them to. So evil is always stronger then good all things being equal. Ok the metaphysics lecture is over.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 03:47 PM   #10
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Good analogy of bank accounts SGH.

I tend to think of the One Ring as one of Sauron's incarnations. It was a physical shape which received much of his power and will. When his fair shape was destroyed at the Downfall of Númenor, he still got his other incarnation to fall back on (Ignoring for the time the problem of why his Ring wasn't destroyed at the Downfall as well, or at least drowned. Didn't he wear it? Didn't he bring it to Númenor?). But now his power was mostly spent into his Ring, he was unable to take a fair form. When the Ring was destroyed, most of his power was also gone, and could not be regained.

About restrictions: The Istari were not allowed to force or scare the people of Middle-Earth into doing (or not doing) things, they were limited to giving councel, and let people decide for themselves. Sauron had no such limits. On the contrary, his aim was to bend the will of all people in Middle-Earth under his own. (Which takes a lot of energy, but doesn't contradict the law of entropy )
Old 02-28-2003, 04:20 PM   #11
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

It's not surprising really. Sauron followed Morgoth in all things. Like Morgoth he wanted to increase his inherant power by investing it beyond himself (though this paradoxically weakens him without the thing he invested). Like Morgoth he couldn't read his enemies, and so he was ruined. Its telling about evil-even the most intelligent evildoers truly know their enemies, even if they have some tactical ability.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:39 PM   #12
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
About restrictions: The Istari were not allowed to force or scare the people of Middle-Earth into doing (or not doing) things, they were limited to giving councel, and let people decide for themselves.
Now was this something they were just told or was their power actually limited or effected in a way such that they couldnt do this? In other words was this free will and discretion at work or were their wings clipped before they got dropped on earth? Because Saruman obviously stopped playing by the rules after a while.

Old 02-28-2003, 06:10 PM   #13
Artanis

I think enabling the exercise of free will is an essential moral code in Tolkien's world. To persuade someone by fear or force is an evil thing. The Istari knew this, as did all the Ainur. Free will was for the Istari also, there was nothing to hinder them in forsaking their task, like Radagast and the blue Wizards did, or to turn to evil like Saruman did. The abilities of the Istari was somewhat limited by the physical shape that they had as old Men, but their power was still dreadful when revealed.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:21 PM   #14
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Well they were emissaries of the valar-who knew that active intervention had not worked that well.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:21 PM   #15
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
[(Ignoring for the time the problem of why his Ring wasn't destroyed at the Downfall as well, or at least drowned. Didn't he wear it? Didn't he bring it to Númenor?).
From the Letters of JRRT: # 211
Quote:
Sauron was first defeated by a 'miracle': a direct action of God the Creator, changing the fashion of the world, when appealed to by Manwë: see III p. 317. Though reduced to 'a spirit of hatred borne on a dark wind', I do not think one need boggle at this spirit carrying off the One Ring, upon which his power of dominating minds now largely depended.
There it is.
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 03-05-2003, 04:24 AM   #16
Artanis

Thanks!

Letter #211 also says this:
Quote:
The Ring of Sauron is only one of the various mythical treatments of the placing of one's life, or power, in some external object, which is thus exposed to capture or destruction with disastrous results to oneself. If I were to 'philosophize' this myth, or at least the Ring of Sauron, I should say it was a mythical way of representing the truth that potency (or perhaps rather potentiality) if it is to be exercised, and produce results, has to be externalized and so as it were passes, to a greater or less degree, out of one's direct control. A man who wishes to exert 'power' must have subjects, who are not himself. But he then depends on them.
Although making the One Ring was an investment, it was also perilous, since the power of the Ring would to some extent get out of Sauron's control.

Last edited by Artanis : 03-05-2003 at 04:29 AM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 02:38 PM   #17
#1GaMGeeGuRL
Enting

Re: Was the Ring the Ruin of Sauron?

Quote:
When you read LOTR, you notice that when the one Ring was destroyed, Sauron too was utterly defeated, so it would be logical to assume that it was so but, what if we look at it in another way.
Remember that Sauron had been disembodied in Númenorë, and he had been defeated in the war of the Last Alliance. Had he not made his ring, would he have been able to come back from that?
Take for example the Lord of the Balrogs, Gothmog. I think that his power level comparing to Sauron must be very similar. When Gothmog was killed by the lord of the Fountains, he was unable to reincarnate himself. Now, if he couldn't do it, why would Sauron be able to?
My guess is that without the Ring, Sauron would not have gotten that far in ME.
My thoughts exactly. He just had the ring in case any of his schemes when awry and it would allow him to survive.

LONG LIVE THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE WEE SCARVIES!

you'll have to excuse me, i'm not at my best
i've been gone for a month
i've been drunk since i left
there so-called vacations
will soon be my death
i'm so sick from teh drink
i need home for a rest
we arrived in december and london was cold
so we stayed in thebars
along charing cross road
we never saw nothin' but brass taps and oak
kept a shine on the bar
with the sleeves of our coats
-chorus-
euston station the train journey north
in the buffet car we lurched back and forth
past odd crooked dykes
through yorkshire's green fields
we were flung into dance
as the train jigged and reeled
will soon be my death
i need home for a rest
take me home....
by the light of the moon she'd drift through the streets
a rare old perfume so seductive and sweet
she'd tease us and flirt as the pubs all closed down
then walk us on home and deny us a round
-chorus-
the gas heater's empty, it's damp as a tomb
and the spirits we drank are not ghosts in the room
i'm knackered again, come on sleep take me soon
and don't lift up my head
'till the the twelve bells at noon
will soon be my death
i need home for a rest
take me home....
#1GaMGeeGuRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 09:04 PM   #18
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

Well, I say it's half and half. He needed the Ring to reach his goal of enslaving all of Middle-earth, however, he left out the part where because of how much of himself he put into the Ring, he would be destroyed along with his Ring. Kind of like Gollum, a bit.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:10 PM   #19
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Well, I say it's half and half. He needed the Ring to reach his goal of enslaving all of Middle-earth, however, he left out the part where because of how much of himself he put into the Ring, he would be destroyed along with his Ring.
But remember, would Sauron had lasted that long without it?
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 03-10-2003, 11:52 PM   #20
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
But remember, would Sauron had lasted that long without it?
Absolutely not. But this doesnt mean his primary purpose in creating the ring was life insurance if you will. The primary purpose was world domination by amplified influence through the power of the ring. The fact that he was saved once when Numenor was sunk proves nothing other than that hes fortunate. He wasnt expecting that much of a reaction at all. He was sitting on his little thrown laughing remember and the next thing he knew the whole flippin island was underwater. He really hadnt anticipated anything like that happening.