Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 12:49 AM   #981
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
I've been reading some really good books lately... One that I would recommend to anyone (mostly girls, but I GUESS guys could read it too) is Set Apart Femininity. I've got a Spurgeon book called Grace: God's Unmerited Favor and another one I've borrowed by R. C. Sproul. It's pretty good. Just reread Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis (are we just allowed to call him "Jack"? I feel like I should have some kind of nickname for him because I love him and his books SO very much!)...
I think I have that RC Sproul book. Or another by him.

"Till We Have Faces" is awesome! I loved that book. Have you read "The Great Divorce"?

Quote:
Books I have NOT read recently:
my textbooks.
Me neither

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 02-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #982
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Yes. I think it's just SO Lewis that MacDonald leads him around.

*Leads Rule around... right off a cliff*
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 03-02-2009, 04:33 AM   #983
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy

This book is absolutely horrible, and I mean that as high praise. It is gut-wrenchingly bleak, but incredibly gripping. I read the whole thing in a day, because I couldn't put it down, and had waking dreams about it all night.

I see I've fallen into the trap of putting it here instead of in the science fiction thread- "that's not SF, it's good". It's a post-apocalyptic tale, which makes most other devastated futures look like a romp in the park. Halfway through, in fact, the author almost loses it, venturing into "Saw" territory; but it's never horror for the shock value, and he pulls it back in the end. Highly recommended, two thumbs up, five stars- but only if you're ready for an express ticket to the Heart of Darkness.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 03-25-2009, 06:35 PM   #984
SilverKnight
Hobbit

I read lots of books, but at the moment I have just started Swallowing Darkness by Laurell K. Hamilton.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #985
Pip
Elven Warrior

I got Moby Dick for my birthday and I'm working on that. I'm also in the middle of Return To Alastair. It's the second in a trilogy of books by L.A. Kelly. It's really intereting and fun to read.
America, what will we miss while we are sleeping/Will Jesus come again and leave us slumbering where we lay/America, will we go down in history/As the nation with no room for it's King/Will we be sleeping?
Old 04-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #986
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I quickly got hooked on John Grisham.
I recently read The Broker and The Last Juror and have just gotten started on The Summons. His legal drama is captivating and it's a delight to see how he (being an attorney) really masters the genre.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:02 AM   #987
Annatar
Sapling

I just finished Sharpe's Eagle. Sharpie is awesome. Bernard Cornwell is a great writer, his battle scenes are so realistic and very well-written.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #988
SilverKnight
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annatar View Post
I just finished Sharpe's Eagle. Sharpie is awesome. Bernard Cornwell is a great writer, his battle scenes are so realistic and very well-written.
I really enjoy reading the Sharpe's books. I have got most of them.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #989
Annatar
Sapling

Cool, I've only read a few so far but I plan to read them all, in time.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #990
nasuada
Enting

I just started 'The Fires of Heaven' by Robert Jordan. It's the fifth book in the'Wheel of Time' series.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #991
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Ive just begun reading the fourth and final part of Manda Smith's Boudica quartet. A recommended you read all four - very well written.

Titles: Dreaming the Eagle, Dreaming the Bull, Dreaming the Hound and Dreaming the Serpent Spear.

Another quartet I finished a couple of weeks ago (for the second time) is AA Attanasio's Arthur series - a very much recommended read - an altogether excellent and beautiful poetic retelling of the legend.

Titles: The Dragon & The Unicorn, The Eagle & The Sword, The Wolf & The Crown and The Serpent & The Grail.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 05-24-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #992
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annatar View Post

I like historical finction and the Sharpe series is excellent. I probably never would have heard of these books except for the LOTR connection (Sean Bean as Sharpe). I've read many of them and enjoyed each one, but as you say, the battle scenes are so realistic, I don't see me re-reading them. So the books are donated to our local library.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #993
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee2lee2 View Post
I like historical finction and the Sharpe series is excellent. I probably never would have heard of these books except for the LOTR connection (Sean Bean as Sharpe). I've read many of them and enjoyed each one, but as you say, the battle scenes are so realistic, I don't see me re-reading them. So the books are donated to our local library.
I like historical fiction, too, but let's open a can of worms here.

How accurate should historical fiction have to be? I tend toward the Flashman school- as close to accepted history as possible, and if you're inserting a character, you should show how they could have been there.

If a writer of historical fiction is going to alter accepted history, I think they should have to draw on a reasonably plausible alternate source- i.e. not "Holy Blood, Holy Grail".

Otherwise, it's too easy- you can just make up anything you want, and call it historical instead of fantasy.

Note here, I draw an exception for clearly labeled 'Alternate History'; a genre of which I am very fond, and to which I've contributed a few timelines of my own (and my only Wikipedia contribution, in support of Fritz Lieber.)

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 05-28-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:47 PM   #994
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

It's not a can of worms, GM. You have reasonable expectations that an author honor the time and place in which he has set his characters.

I have to confess, I am not knowledgeable about history except in a very general way. This likely allows me to enjoy books containing historical contradictions which would irritate a more knowledgeable reader. The detailed descriptions of the battles seemed realistic to me and allowed me to see how the characters were affected by the action. But actually, I wouldn't have a clue what a real battle would be like in our time or in Sharpe's.

I said the Sharpe series was excellent because of the high level of enjoyment I experienced reading the books. On the other hand, they were not so "excellent" that I plan to keep and read them again, unlike some other books I revisit frequently.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #995
Mari
Elf Lady

I'm reading Michael Ende's Neverending Story at the moment. I'd seen the film years ago, but I didn't like it.
The story is excellent though! Lot's of great wordplay and I love how every chapter starts with the next letter of the alphabet. I wonder if we'll get to the Z. The book is even printed in 2 colours, so it's easy recognizable as either Atreyu or Bastian being the main actor.
I wouldn't read it to 'my' kids as it is though. You can see it was written in a different tradition then the newer children's stories: the language is older and the cultural references are different.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 06-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #996
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I liked the first part of the book well enough, but till this day I find the second part rather depressing.

I'm currently re-reading my Sherlock Holmes books. Great fun. They're so old-fashioned that it's, well, sort of of endearing and cute. A window on a long-gone time when everyone had a housekeeper or a butler, telegrams was high-tech, brave, manly men could faint without looking silly and nervous brain-fevers were rampant. Really interesting.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #997
Mari
Elf Lady

I owned that one too, but I left it in Japan for the dormitory library. I liked it (though I don't believe I ever finished it)

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 06-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #998
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
I'm reading Michael Ende's Neverending Story at the moment. I'd seen the film years ago, but I didn't like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I liked the first part of the book well enough, but till this day I find the second part rather depressing.
For me it was the other way round - I liked the second part better. Though it was a long, long time since I read the book and I can't recall it nearly as good as I remember both movies. But I appreciated the book more.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #999
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

I'm re-reading Edding's stuff in honor of his passing.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #1000
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Just finished Death of a Romance Writer. It's a collection of short stories and a novella by Joan Hess. Her mysteries are always amusing even when dealing with serious situations.
Closed Thread