Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-20-2007, 04:42 PM   #21
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion View Post
If they bring together tLOTR and TH, though, that's not changing the work of Tolkien. It's doing what he never had the chance to do.
If someone DECENT brought together LOTR and TH and UT and some parts of HOME, it would have been awesome!

But DECENT is the keyword here. PJ is not and will never be. We will get even more of his own stupid additions, ruining the story. And all the characters will be twisted again.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #22
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I generally agree with your forbodings about the movie Gordis, but I probably will go see The Hobbit for the pretty scenery factor. (Edit: I'm not just being facetious here: Jackson is gifted at the sweeping scenery shot and New Zealand is lovely.) I know what I'm getting into this time; FotR was a bit of a rude surprise.

I will definitely, definitely be avoiding a completely made up one from Jackson and Walsh. But I'm actually wondering, is that legal? Owning the rights to make a movie out of someone's book is different than the right to directly make new material out of someone else's material.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:58 PM   #23
Olmer
Elf Lord

Oh, for goodness sake! Give him a credit. Without his brave undertaking of this heavy load, you, people, probably would be living until your gray hair on futile hopes that someday someone will make the book alive.
I agree that the movie is not precisely follows the book's plot, but it has everything essential, and it is dinamic, entertaining and stimulating. How many people went on reading the book after seeing the movie?
And this means that PJ greatly succeed in the task.

Of course, now it's much easier to complain that he was not exactly true to the book. So what? Why not to accept gladly the work, which was produced, unperfectly, but produced for your benefit and entertainment, and just enjoy it as it is.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:40 PM   #24
BeardofPants
the Shrike

You know, some of us dislike the movies on their own merits, not cos they sucked donkey's balls as book adaptions, doncha?
Old 12-22-2007, 01:52 AM   #25
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

While I wouldn't be lamenting if both Bakshi and Jackson's movies hadn't been made, you do raise a good point here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmer View Post
Of course, now it's much easier to complain that he was not exactly true to the book. So what? Why not to accept gladly the work, which was produced, unperfectly, but produced for your benefit and entertainment, and just enjoy it as it is.
He really did just want to <strike>make a whole lot of money</strike> entertain people.

Okay but seriously, in making the movie he didn't actually ruin the book in any way. Tolkien's works are completely unharmed, so where's the harm right?

But if you'd believe it, I actually don't think LotR is that great as a stand-alone movie (scenery and props excepted).
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:46 PM   #26
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

I'm happy with my upcoming movies.

Sorry 'bout you.

P.S. You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
Jon S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:20 PM   #27
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
I'm happy with my upcoming movies.
I am glad for you, Jon S.
Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2007, 03:06 PM   #28
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Thanks, Gordis. A wonderful, happy, healthy New Year to your family and you as well. As to all on the 'Moot.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:02 PM   #29
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Thanks!

And Happy New Year to ALL!
Old 01-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #30
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel View Post
I will definitely, definitely be avoiding a completely made up one from Jackson and Walsh. But I'm actually wondering, is that legal? Owning the rights to make a movie out of someone's book is different than the right to directly make new material out of someone else's material.
Haven't you grown up on movie adaptations of novels? If you own the movie rights ANYTHING is fair game. I've seen movies where the only similarity between the book and the movie is the title.

That said, I am thrilled that PJ and Fran will be making the Hobbit movies. They did an AMAZING job of capturing the true spirit of the books in their trilogy.

This announcement was a great day for LOTR fans.

Last edited by Black Breathalizer : 01-02-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #31
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Breathalizer View Post
I've seen movies where the only similarity between the book and the movie is the title.
Like Bladerunner, which doesn't even go that far.

It was a great movie though.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #32
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Breathalizer View Post
Haven't you grown up on movie adaptations of novels? If you own the movie rights ANYTHING is fair game. I've seen movies where the only similarity between the book and the movie is the title.

That said, I am thrilled that PJ and Fran will be making the Hobbit movies. They did an AMAZING job of capturing the true spirit of the books in their trilogy.

This announcement was a great day for LOTR fans.
Breathalizer! Haven't seen YOU in a good stretch of months! Welcome (back?)!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:58 PM   #33
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

I would like to make a point - admittedly an obvious one - but first would like to ask: who here has read any of Frank Baum's original book versions of The Wizard of Oz?

P.S. How do you post a pic here anyways (I don't see a pic icon in the "go advanced" menu)?

Last edited by Jon S. : 01-02-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:56 AM   #34
Valandil

When you make posts, there's an "Additional Options" section just below. You'll see an "Attach Files" section with a "Manage Attachments" button.

Try it out!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 AM   #35
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
Breathalizer! Haven't seen YOU in a good stretch of months! Welcome (back?)!
Naw, just passing through. Wanted to see what people were saying about PJ and the Hobbit.

Actually, Valandil, it's been years. I grew weary of the "thought police" behavior of the board's moderators at the time I left.

Take care.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #36
Valandil

Months turn into years (which I knew they had). And sorry if you felt that way about things at the time. It's been much more laid back lately, but if you'll recall, there were also a good number of folks around here who REALLY needed active moderating back then. So... it's possible that staff got too pro-active about it.

Hope you'll stay around.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 01-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #37
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
I would like to make a point - admittedly an obvious one - but first would like to ask: who here has read any of Frank Baum's original book versions of The Wizard of Oz?
I have!

And good point, I think.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #38
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

We've seem to have strayed from the topic now. There are other threads where this sort of conversation is better suited.

Back on topic, please.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #39
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Earniel, where do you want us? I'd like to continue, but I don't know where.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:07 PM   #40
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Back on topic, please.
Okay!

Many many many people enjoyed PJs movies, LotR newbies and vets alike. So, there is no reason why the same will not be true with his take on The Hobbit.

Think glass half full!