Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-29-2003, 03:27 AM   #1
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
A definite sign that you're getting old.

Whenever I flip by MTV there's always some Rapper going through his motions. A lot of young people wear baggy clothing. I don't understand the point of having a lot of symbols and stuff on the screen of your mobile. And speaking of mobiles, I don't really see the use of being constantly reachable. Chatrooms (on the Net), as opposed to this forum, seems too difficult to even begin to get the point of.

What's your views?

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 06-29-2003 at 09:42 AM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 04:10 AM   #2
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

I'm right there with you! I don't own a microwave -- what on earth is the hurry? I don't have cable television -- why should I PAY to see commercials? I don't own a cell phone -- what's so earthshaking important? It's not like I'm a surgeon and need to be kept posted on my patients' status.

And don't get me started on music...or movies...

On the other hand, technology has made my life easier so that I have more time to do things like bake bread, read books, or just sit in my garden and listen to the birds.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:39 AM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I do have a mobile phone, a very simple one though. But I didn't buy it myself, it was a gift from my parents. No symbols on my screen, no vibrating function, no games. Just so I can call home to pick me up or talk to my sister who's studying in another town. And I'm going hiking for a couple of days in July and my mother is one of the over-worrying kind. So it is very useful at times. But I leave it off most of the time. Who wants to get called and bothered every 5 minutes? Last year I wasn't permanently reachable and everything went fine, I don't get why I should be reachable 24 hours a day now that I have a mobile phone.

We do have a microwave-oven and it's really paying off. My parents are out nearly every day from 9.30 till 20.00 so when mum comes homes she doesn't feel like cooking in the kitchen for yet another hour.

Technology can be very useful and really make your life easier. But it can be taken for granted so very easily, not to mention taken far to far. I have never seen so many gadgets than the last two years. I just can't believe that you really need all that gadget-y stuff.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:07 AM   #4
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel

Technology can be very useful and really make your life easier. But it can be taken for granted so very easily, not to mention taken far to far. I have never seen so many gadgets than the last two years. I just can't believe that you really need all that gadget-y stuff.
I agree. Many of those superfluous gadgets are unnecessary and/or very expensive too. The reason why a lot of younger people have them is because they are "cool" and "in". Personally, I don't give a rats whether or not I have them. I might buy fashionable clothing, because I like it, not because everyone my age walks around sporting it. Some things that are "in" I really dislike. (What the heck is up with wearing jeans in your UG boots, we wondersss?!)

I wonder about technological advances too. It's exciting, but at the same time, rather worrying ... isn't technological advancement now experiencing exponential...growth? (I'm a bit unsure about correct terminology here). And life is just going to get more complex and confusing- imagine life prior to insurance, banking etc! Sure it can create convenience, i.e. microwave ovens, computers etc, but a lot of products are unessential for day-to-day living.

And re. technology, it's not only about complexity of life. A range of new problems are brought about. For instance, the "new" mobile/cell phones with cameras inbuilt are problematic because they are so easily misused- people have been filmed undressing, swimming, even under tables whilst at the library. It's sick.

Summary: Technology may make life a bit more convenient, but IMO, much of it is superfluous. Technological advancement is also a bit of a worry- how soon will that "robot future" be upon us?

My two cents anyway. I'm not educated much on this matter.

Last edited by Linaewen : 06-29-2003 at 07:11 AM.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 08:28 AM   #5
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

All that silly technology is just a substitute for "a life"! Once you have *something to do,*and *you know who you are,* you can pass on the gadgets, gizmos, and other people's attempts at coolness! It's all just a ploy to get your money! (you asked! )
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 10:10 AM   #6
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Hehe. I happen to like new technology, it's very handy in many situations, especially those modern household machines, they make life smoother and spare you a lot of time, and time is precious with 3 kids. I bought my second mobile phone early this year, in our house there's a microwave, and there's a satellite dish on our wall. It doesn't mean that I'm reachable all the time, I've found the 'OFF'-button and use it! The same goes for TV. Neither do I buy all the fancy mobile graphics and tunes, I agree it's unnessesary.

My latest 'toy' is a digital camera, which can record small videos as well as still pics. I've already had much fun with that. The kids love watching themselves 'live' on the screen.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:29 AM   #7
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
Well I guess without technology nobody else would be reading my thoughts on technology!?!?!?

The key to technology is to ensure that one controls it, and not the other way around. Pick the things that improve your life and ignore those that don't (most of those will just be passing fads in any case).

However, despite my ever increasing age, I wouldn't be without my PC, Digital Camera, car, mobile, Palm Pilot, watch, dish washer, microwave, hi-fi, Wide Screen TV, Electric Lights (ask the Victorians if that's not technology), fridge, reading glasses, hoover, etc, etc.
LutraMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 11:55 AM   #8
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Hey, these young kids these days don't know how easy they've got it-why, when I was their age, we had to walk clean across the room to change channels.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 12:08 PM   #9
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Hasty Ent
I'm right there with you! I don't own a microwave -- what on earth is the hurry? ....
You don't own a microwave? I don't know how I'd survive without it.

I'll tell you, I've got all kinds of technology at my house. But sometimes, it's nice to get away from it. I do a lot of outdoor things when the season is right (usually Spring, Fall and some Winter... Summer gets too hot at 103 F). But I wouldn't get rid of any of the stuff I have.

I used to have a tv that I had to get up and push the buttons to change the channel... I broke the remote. Then I made this stick with a rubber end to it so I didn't have to get up. More technology.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 12:10 PM   #10
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

What good does a palm pilot do you?
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 12:15 PM   #11
Elf Girl
Lurker

*lives in a house wherin there is no television*
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 01:13 PM   #12
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I dont mind technology so much (I was the first one on my block with a commodore 64. nobody under 25 will have a clue what im talking about there) but Im staunchly proud of the fact that I dont need to get gadgets to keep up with everyone else. I resisted getting a cell phone until my employers finally decided i HAD to have one and now they pay for it. *laugh* But I keep it off mostly anyway. Meanwhile I see 9 year olds at the mall walking around talking on their cell phones with their 10 different face plates in their purses once they get bored with which ever one they are using at the moment. Not for me. Im more partial to the idea of living in a little cabin in Montana then trying to keep up with all that crap thanks.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 01:32 PM   #13
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
What good does a palm pilot do you?
Hi Lizra! A Palm holds everything you need to know and are always forgetting. What appointments you have, all your friends' telephone numbers, passwords for web sites etc. It reminds me of family birthdays and anniversaries in plenty of time so I don't forget. It even lets me take notes when I haven't got a pen and paper to hand.

And then, the best of all, it syncronises with my PC so all the info is stored in two places, and even if I lose the Palm, or wipe it accidentally, I don't lose the info. (In the past, everytime I got a new diary I had to copy out all the telephone numbers etc, even with a filofax it gets hard to find things, with a Palm you just do a search). Honest, I wouldn't be without it.
LutraMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 01:37 PM   #14
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

go pilot!

hey lizra wat good do ur flowers and plants do in ur garden?

i wud choose my palm ne day
Old 06-29-2003, 02:27 PM   #15
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
Hey, these young kids these days don't know how easy they've got it-why, when I was their age, we had to walk clean across the room to change channels.

*scared sh****** about the thought* that must of been horrible whenever i lose the remote i always look for it for like 15 min before i turn on the t.v. im just lazy that way
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 03:01 PM   #16
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
*lives in a house wherin there is no television*
we used to not have a tv. alot of people at school thought we were Amish because of it too.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:16 PM   #17
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
...(I was the first one on my block with a commodore 64. nobody under 25 will have a clue what im talking about there) ....
HA! I just asked my dad what that was (sorry, I didn't remember). He said it was a computer that you hooked up to your TV set. The games were cartridges you plugged into it. (My dad is Super Computerman!)
Old 06-29-2003, 04:59 PM   #18
Artanis

Heh, I too had a Commodore 64 in my early youth. Oh those memories ...
Old 06-29-2003, 05:20 PM   #19
Ruinel
Banned

I never had one of those Comodore 64's. I just know about them. Ok... confession, I asked my dad.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:31 PM   #20
Artanis

With the little word 'too' I was referring to IR.

Those C64s were the wonders of the day at that time. 64 kbyte of RAM!