Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-14-2002, 05:34 AM   #81
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowdog
...At least Cirdan made an attempt at refuting the Surgeon General's statement
I did know what you were getting at, so I justed hacked the Sturgeon General's bit. You'd think by now the propanganda would have gotten better.

It is amusing the attributes given to pot that are just subjective. It preys on weak minds. I had a fellow tell me he liked to smoke pot in high school and it made him a lazy %$#@. I told him that maybe he was just a lazy %$#@ that liked to smoke pot.

What is worse for you, pot or prison?
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 05:37 PM   #82
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

This whole debate boils down to "I want it!" "No, it's bad!" "NO!"
"Yes!" "No it isn't bad!" "YES IT IS!!!" "SHUT UP" "YOU!"

Okay, so maybe it's not there quite yet...but my point is this. There will always be people who want to go against an already-standing law and people (ME) who like the law the way it is. BOTH POINTS OF VIEWS ARE OKAY TO HAVE!!! (And that point was reaaaaaaly an unpoint!)
I don't believe in marijuana. I've seen kids at my school who use it, and even though some were smart, they are usually the ones who could care less. One of the party-er types in my Latin class told me once- "Don't drink or do drugs. Before I started,I used to get a 4.0,too." This, to me, is the statement that pegged "Just Say NO" in my head. Government officials will probably never legalize this drug, like JD said. To me, that's okay.

Thus ends another point trying to get accross and dying in the process.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 11:04 AM   #83
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Well, as we said in the 70's... 'Why?' Is a 4.0 really necessary? It is only for the capitalist establishment.' Anyway... I was a 2.2 studend before pot, and I was a 2.4 student after pot, so it made little difference in my scholastic learning ability, and I found alternative things to learn that have served me well through life.

As far as my opinion on pot being legal, I have mixed thoughts on it.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:14 PM   #84
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Perhaps but there are people in more dorm who waste time getting high when they could be doing work. I suppose you could argue "who cares" but when you or someone who cares about you is paying tutition the least you can do is moderate your drug use. I don't oppose its legalization, and I've done it before but I can't help but agree that it can demotivate.
Old 10-18-2002, 02:49 PM   #85
azalea
Long lost mooter

I have mixed feelings about legalization. On the one hand, I don't care if people grow and smoke it for personal use, but I care very much if they then go out and drive. Or perform surgery (Renille, I'd definately want you as my doctor!). Yes, it's the same with drinking, but as far as I know there's no breathalizer for it, and it has different effects than alcohol, so field sobriety tests would be hard unless the person was really stoned. So that would be a worry.
It would definately be nice to tax it, more revenue for other stuff from something people are doing anyway. But smoking it should be illegal because it damages the lungs worse than cigarettes. Eating it is much better. That way there's no public costs from cancer, yada yada yada.
So I'm basically in the middle on this one. If it could be regulated well and people could guarantee they'd be responsible, then no problem, but on the other hand, I don't want some stoner flying my plane, teaching my kid, preparing my meal at a restaurant, etc. I think we're better off as a society if people are just happy with living life without having to used artificial means of pleasure, blah blah, blah.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 07:28 PM   #86
entss89
lord of the ents

i think its bad bad bad to have drugs anywhere they could take them wronge and be all screwed up!
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 09:17 PM   #87
azalea
Long lost mooter

Well, I just wrote a very poignant post that can never be recreated, and then got kicked off the internet just as I was about to post it, but the jist (sp?) of it was that I agree that it messes people up. And that is because I've known several people who were. Guess which drug they started with? But legalization is a tough issue because so many factors are involved. Yes, it's bad for you. But do people deserve the stiff punishments they get for something that doesn't hurt anyone but themselves (barring the driving, etc. issue)? I don't know that it's any worse than alcohol in that respect, except that its effects are different. But then someone could make that argument about other drugs, so I just don't know.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 10:43 PM   #88
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Education is an important way of preventing drug abuse. Those that are inclined, however, will use anything to get high. People will do solvents, propenants, toads . Some maybe a structured environment where it is regulated and discouraged (deincentivized by allowing things like hiring discrimination to continue, restrictions on driving, etc. If someone asks you if you want to get high and you have to think about it, you definitely shouldn't. In a perfect would no one would want to get high. As it is we should strive to find a balance between prohibition aand no inhibition.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 10:46 PM   #89
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

personally i have done pot and a lot of my friends do it. but when i do it i get totally relaxed and if i do it every two weeks then i work better in school and i have a good time doin it. i dont think it screws you up only if you do it every day
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 10:49 PM   #90
Millane
The Dude

oh my god i thought you were like 12 or something. god i hope thats not right... bah pots overrated unless you are a Rastafarian.
it makes you work better at school does it hahaaha nice one
Old 04-09-2003, 10:52 PM   #91
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

no im 14. and i was getting 47 percent in math and in two weeks i am now getting 61. haha
I AM CANADIAN

Old 04-09-2003, 10:54 PM   #92
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

ya i geuss im a bit young but meh kim not a hardcore user any ways
I AM CANADIAN

Old 04-09-2003, 11:00 PM   #93
Millane
The Dude

ok fair enough 14 not as bad as 12 i guess do you really think doing pot is making you work better... sounds like a mate trying to convince me pot is good for you and you are being unhealthy not doing it... ive done it, didnt really do much... ive just seen a heap of pot smokers go bad and start with ecstacy, chrystal meth, acid and all that ****... ohhh well as far as im concerne personal choice so have a good one.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:03 PM   #94
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

well i used to be really stressed out about math but i had some ideas when i was high which i cant remember but it helped me. im not saying it is unhealthy to not do it but it does allow you a fun time. but its the users choice
I AM CANADIAN

Old 04-09-2003, 11:05 PM   #95
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

and i already kno i am never gonna do shrooms because i kno those mess yoou up and trust me i have been offered them.
I AM CANADIAN

Old 04-09-2003, 11:07 PM   #96
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by gimli7410
but i had some ideas when i was high which i cant remember
Up until a few years ago that was the story of my life

Smoke won't make ya anymore intelligent......you may feel more intelligent however

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 11:11 PM   #97
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

well i might remeber them i just dont kno it
I AM CANADIAN

Old 04-09-2003, 11:19 PM   #98
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by gimli7410
well i might remeber them i just dont kno it
Keep smoking gimli, I can see it's really working out for ya

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 11:24 PM   #99
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

I think pot should still be illegal. It's bad for you. A guy at my school is getting expelled for bringing pot to school.

My point is, when you're high off of anything you can be a danger to the people around you. That's why it should stay illegal.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:30 PM   #100
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I hope your joking Coney.
I have never done drugs, smoking, or drinking of any kind. Nor do I ever want to. No good can ever come from it and I personally don't see why anyone would ever start. I find it sad if one needs to take something to feel a little pleasure in their life.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote