Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-06-2002, 01:01 PM   #1
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Decriminalizing marijuana

Not having found this debate in the search engine I'm curious what people think about decriminalizing "soft drugs." I'm from Canada and there's been an ongoing debate about the issue. What do you think?
Old 10-06-2002, 02:25 PM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I know the Netherlands have a pretty lose law about it. Here in Belgium the law is somewhat stricter. (and some find it totally useless) Some softdrugs are allowed but I can't remember which ones and in what quantities.

Personally I find it hard to decide. I believe that the fact that soft drugs are 'forbidden' makes some young people use it because it makes them look 'rebellious' and 'cool'. On the other had if you legalise soft drugs others will start using it because 'it's legal now so it can't be that bad'. I'm not sure if you can answer it with yea or nay.
Old 10-06-2002, 02:29 PM   #3
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

There's lots of sides to this issue, but let me tell you what I believe.

I've never tried marijuana or any other illegal drugs in my life, but I can't stop others from doing it. Niether, it seems most of the time, can the police. I think one of the main reasons many tenagers try it is because its illegal (here in the US, at least) and usually they can get away with it. Everyone I've known that has actually been busted for weed will just keep on smoking it, usually less than a week after getting caught.

There's so many anti-drug campaigns out there that it's impossible to ignore the negative effects of drugs. People will try it no matter what, so enforcing laws seems pointless. The only reason it's illegal is so that the law enforcement can keep their jobs. When Prohibition was started, a new group needed to be created to enforce the law. When Prohibition ended, instead of telling the enforcers to get new jobs, they just gave them something else to regulate: marijuana.

That's my opinion. I'll probably never try it in my life, but if someone else wants to, there isn't much I can say to change it. I don't care either way if it's legal or not.
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 03:03 PM   #4
Sween
im quite stupid

been a pretty regular user of pot myself i personally feel that it should be decrimalised.

I smoke it pretty regually we often in mid week will smoke a load over a game of cards or summet. Me and my friends find it a plesent way to spend an evening. None of my circle of friends has ever felt the need to go on to do harder drugs (not that they have not been offred to us) but we are more than content just getting stonned.

I dont take the argueement to a point that if you smoke pot you will automatically be more likly to do harder drugs. i feel the main reason that people end up doing harder drugs is that fact that ash is illegal and to0 get it we have to through some pretty low people. if it were legal it would cut down the contact with dealers a lot.

As for harder drugs there is a distinct pattern from what iu can see. speed and E's have a strong connection (i know when i went to gatecrasher i was openly offred them on servral occasions) smack i have allways seen as summet completally diffrent because you have to coniolly take it. you allways have a choice with drugs i mwwill admit that one day i was offred it and i said no and that was the end of that. Unfortnally i have known people take it and trust me it is nothing but bad news that stuff.

But i like to judge everything on its own. and dont believe the way TV protrys pot its allways it makes you lazy and they often misreprsent it and that anoys me. I feel in many ways it populises it and creates a false impression of its powers which seems to me more damaging than been honest.

Has anyone else ever done it here? if so what do you think?
Old 10-06-2002, 03:46 PM   #5
osszie
Elven Warrior

I've been known to *ahem* indulge in the occasional herbal ciggarette in the past

I believe that the law for cannabis should go in two different directions. It should be lowered for genuine users of the drug (they do of course hurt no-one but themselves) their punishment should be limited to a fine, less money in pocket, less dope in lungs. although the punishment should be upped for users under 18 yrs of age......more as a deterrent to stop kids experimenting with the stuff.

For the dealers I feel that the punishment should be harsher, it's the easiest way to get drugs off the streets. With harsher punishment the dealers will be more selective about who they sell drugs to (i.e. stop the dealers in the schoolyards etc).

I am very much against the full legalisation of cannabis. Look at the state of many people through the legal drugs, tobbacco and alchohol .......cannabis does have many damaging properties and I'm sure many of you who have spent time with smokers have seen what we called a "whitey" vomitting, raised blood pressure and hyperventilating caused by overindulgnece over a short period of time.............then of cause there is the classic zombie-like state (brain dead) that many cannabis smokers suffer from over a lengthened spell of misuse

I don't believe that using cannabis leads to addiction to other drugs, years ago I tried several kinds of chemical based drugs (Ecstacy, Speed, LSD) and they give you a totally different kind of "high" than cannabis.......someone with a cannabis habit (I don't believe it is addictive but it is certainly habit forming among many individuals) would find little or no satisfaction from other drugs. Chemical drugs tend to speed up the brain function while cannabis slows it down.

Taking chemical based drugs is a little like playing russian roulette. They are chemicals mixed by someone who is only after the maximum profit.........there could be anything in it!

A friend of mine suffered serious burns to her mouth after taking speed which was cut (mixed with) Ajax (a bleach based floor cleaner).......this she had bought from a dealer she had known for years, he just tried to got greedy ........... that was the last time I was tempted to take speed, or any other chemicals for that matter
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 04:03 PM   #6
Sween
im quite stupid

with a name like ozzie i should of known uve done a few drugs in your time . In all seriousness a lot of dealers are scum. people who if they were on fire i would even........ well you get the picture.

This is such a hard one to weigh up because allthough pot itself is pretty harmless (as harmless as any drug is i personally rate it bellow alchol in terms of danger) de crimalizing it would cause a lot of problems.

how will the dealers suplement there income pot is pretty much the backbone of a dealers paycheck sure the others are higher priced but for shear quantaties theres nothing to match pot. Me and 6 mates smoked a 9 bar in 1 weekend . How will they get there money bk? they will have to resort to more forward methods of pushing the harder drugs.

there are however some plus sides to this. first let me explain that people will smoke pot regardless so stuff like been stonned at the wheel are pretty irrivent to me. But if pot were made legal it can be taxed and moderated and would be a bosst to the british farmer. it could also help prove the valueable resources needed to help tackle the hard drug industry. It would also stop wasteing police time and allow them to go after the harder stuff.

In england i think that the majority of well informed people are swinging to well they are not really swinging ne where to be honest they kinda dont want to see it legalised but dont really want it illegal no one really cares.

we all have the american teen movie image of the gang of stonners in the corner talking bull etc and yeh people will do stuff to excess but then people drink to excess and eat to excess and does something been illegal really change how we would use it?
Old 10-06-2002, 06:49 PM   #7
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I also smoke pot once in a while. That's why I'm curious. I'm of two sides on this-it isn't going to ruin your life, but it certainly can, and it does and can have a faiely powerful effect on someone. On the other hand getting high is no worse then being drunk, and the health risk is not much greater then say smoking. Certainly if it was regulated properly that would be better then currently, but decriminilization without regulation is IMHO pointless.
Old 10-06-2002, 07:19 PM   #8
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

I tend to think that you move into dangerous ground anytime you relinquish control over your mind. Granted, I've never used drugs...
BTW, no choice has only to do with person...we constantly play a role in other people's lives based on the choices we make in our own.

Last edited by crickhollow : 10-06-2002 at 07:24 PM.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 07:24 PM   #9
osszie
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by crickhollow
I tend to think that you move into dangerous ground anytime you relinquish control over your mind.
that is very true, there are probably many people in jail because of their actions while high or drunk

Just say NO

(unless its a really good night then just say a little j/k)
Old 10-06-2002, 11:08 PM   #10
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

I haven't quite made up my mind on this one. In a way I think maybe it would be safer if it was decriminalized, and probably less people would be tempted to take it. On the other hand though I am really against drugs in every way. My friends dad is kind of a pothead, and when he heard about it maybe becoming decriminalized here he got all excited and it really upset her. Marijuana is actually pretty harmful to your health, and using it doesn't just harm yourself, but people in your family, your friends etc.

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 06:31 AM   #11
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Quote:
Originally posted by Erawyn
Marijuana is actually pretty harmful to your health, and using it doesn't just harm yourself, but people in your family, your friends etc.
This is a good point, and one which a lot of potheads (myself included in the past) do not acknowledge.

There is a very tired old saw that says "dope isn't as bad for you as alcohol" Personally, I think that is untrue, and there is an increasing body of evidence to link cannabis use with personality disorders and psychosis. However, there is such a bogus culture around drugs use that users tend to believe what their friends rather than what some government scientist says. You can't blame them, when much so-called drugs education is so clearly nonsensical. A good start would be to tell the truth about them.

However, the most dangerous drug out there is legal: tobacco. If I caught my kids smoking a spliff, I would be most upset about the tobacco in it. I speak as an ex-smoker who is in the throes of giving up. It is by far the most difficult thing I have ever done.

Never mind cancer: smoke cigarettes and you might die gasping for breath, but not before your legs and arms have been amputated and you've spent years unable to walk to the toilet without needing oxygen.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 08:42 AM   #12
Millane
The Dude

nup i cant talk from experiance like so many of you can but i do have my own opinions and here goes
i think that pot even if more harmful to you it isnt as harmful to family friends etc and therefore is more of a choice thing (or should be) i just think there isdifferences between Alcohol Tobacco Marijuana but who draws the line. Nevertheless it is dangerous and it is harder to get where i live if it is illegal. to get it you have to travle to melbourne( bout 2 hours away) and that certainly keeps it down...
as for the other drugs (ecstasy speed etc) there are goods and bads about if that was to be legalised. GOOD POINT: nowadays drugdealers cut a lot of the stuff with flour, tranquilisers and all other sorts of crap and if it was legalised it would have a tighter control and only pure stuff would be sold keeping it as undamaging to the health as possible GOOD POINT: governments could tax it BAD POINT: DEATH AND CRIME...
just my views
Millane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 09:02 AM   #13
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

My thoughts are confused.
For those whom it would help, glaucoma victims and others suffering various ailments, I say decriminalize.

For the rest of us, hey, it's great in baked goods.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:27 PM   #14
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I'm against it, even for medicinal purposes. Not only are drugs bad, but then you'd have a lot of people saying, "Thank God I have arthritis."

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 07:32 PM   #15
BeardofPants
the Shrike

My uncle Freddie uses it for his back pain. I don't think I'd like to be around him if he didn't have that small mercy.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:52 PM   #16
osszie
Elven Warrior

The main argument for legalising medical use of canabis in the UK is for the treatment of MS (multiple sclerossis) sufferers whose pain is neurological in its source.

Read about it here

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_informa...cannabis.html:)

personally I think cannabis should be available on perscription, other more powerful drugs are available (e.g.opiates) which people grow tolereant to and end up taking handfulls of them. A friend of mine who suffers from chronic rheumatiod arthritis has to be a admitted to hospital for six weeks every year just to detox from his medication

Khamul I agree that many people would try to fool the system to get drugs, but there are millions of heroin addicts who try to fool drs anyway.......and a good dr should be able to tell when a patient is lying

Millions of people are addicted to perfectly legal drugs.......I wouldn't like to imagine how many people are hooked on Valium, prozac and barbituates etc

If cannabis were available on perscription then at least Dr's have a chance of regulating how much a person will smoke/ingest
Old 10-07-2002, 11:26 PM   #17
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

To set the record now, yes, I am an anti-all-drug-anti-drinking-anti-smoking little person, so this post will probably sound like one of those anti-smoking commercials, but I think it needs to be said.

Smoking marijuana is like smoking about multiple cigarettes. Smoking has, of course, been proven to cause cancer and lung disease. Which would you rather deal with, a dead lung or back pain???
I cannot agree with decriminilization of any illegal drug. The government isn't stupid...it knows what's harmful and what's not.
(My 15 minute bell just rang...more on this later, maybe. )
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 11:48 PM   #18
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, obviously my uncle at least has made the choice for black lung. But you know, severe backpain that doesn't let you sleep can do that. There's something wrong with his spine - I don't exactly know what; but he can't lie down without it hurting, he can no longer drive properly, he can't work... yeah, you could say he's made a choice.
Old 10-08-2002, 02:51 AM   #19
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Weed? Booooring.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 04:13 AM   #20
Millane
The Dude

Just out of interest, Renille, why are you anti-drinking? is it like ethical, health... sorry just curious not many people are anti drinking in Bendigo (where i live) its sorta part of the culture...
as to what you said about illegal well i cant agree in the slightest with your Marijuana P.O.V. relating to medical issues... some people really need it... my friends mam died of cancer and she didnt want Marijuana to help the pain and apparently she was literally dying in agony... dont you think the choice should be there... i dont think we should say no to medicinal marijuana at all seeing as we dont know how much pain a patient may be going through... i can see how you can argue against marijuana for like enjoyment puroposes but if someone is in pain then they should chose weather they can take marijuana or not... the filth that would try and trick people to get a prescription are just f@$#ed in the head that is just wrong...
Millane is offline   Reply With Quote