Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-23-2020, 01:50 AM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

British Royalty

Where to start, where to start...

What do any fellow Entmooters think, and wish to share, about the British Royal Family?

First of all - there's the whole issue of having this family of constitutional monarchs, with no actual political power or authority, and yet supporting them and paying them in grand style.

Then... there are the recent "controversies"

More seriously - Prince Andrew and his connections with Jeffrey Epstien (who did NOT kill himself, BTW)

Then... recently, and lighter fare - the departure of Prince Harry and Meghan from royal family duties, and from England - as they retreat to Canada (not going to the US while Trump is President!!!)

What do you think?

Do you not care at all?

We have some British Mooters… who certainly have more "skin in the game" than us Americans. Really hope that some of them get on, see this and comment.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:45 AM   #3
kralizec
Sapling

Ha! Good one, Alcuin.

My family broke ties with British monarchs around April, 1775.

I've always thought it was funny that the Windsors are far more German than British. They are the Windsors because being the house of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha became inconvenient after a German bomber of the same name killed schoolchildren during the first world war.
kralizec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:48 PM   #4
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

The difference between the press treatment Kate and Meghan got when doing the same thing is instructive in this matter.

e.g., on putting your hand on your bump when pregnant:

Quote:
Kate: "Bumping along nicely! The Duchess was seen placing a protective hand on her tummy as she exited the event." Daily Mail: March 22, 2018

Meghan: "Personally, I find the cradling a bit like those signs in the back of cars: Baby on Board. Virtue signaling, as though the rest of us barren harridans deserve to burn alive in our cars." Daily Mail: Jan. 26, 2019
Soure: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...tandards-royal

Also, it should also be noted, lest ye forget, Harry's mother was literally hounded to her death by the paparazzi.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:52 PM   #5
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
More seriously - Prince Andrew and his connections with Jeffrey Epstien (who did NOT kill himself, BTW)
All of this, all day. I am beyond disgusted by all of that, and so are most of his mother's "subjects".

Andrew needs to be hauled before the beak. So does everyone else who operated in Epstein's circle. It looks like systematic sexual abuse has been committed by many people. We need to take this seriously and demonstrate publicly that this is not acceptable, and police with powers of extradition need to be involved. Don't hold your breath.

As for having them at all, I am fairly relaxed about having an apolitical head of state, and it might as well be someone who's been training for it their whole life. The problems come when they screw up, and you can't get rid of them.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:10 PM   #6
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Gaffer! Of all people - especially all Brits - I was mostly hoping that you would join in!!! Great to see you here again.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:33 PM   #7
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Then... recently, and lighter fare - the departure of Prince Harry and Meghan from royal family duties, and from England - as they retreat to Canada (not going to the US while Trump is President!!!)
Not sure if I'd call it all that 'lighter' fare, considering the things Meghan had gotten said about her... Maybe not as horrible as organised child molestion but still, that's some A-grade abuse, right there.

As Gaffer said, the comparison between things written about Meghan and the totally different way the same thing was approached about Kate was eye-opening, and I was kind of glad I wasn't the only person noticing it.

But frankly, it all left me puzzled a little bit, why the Meghan hate? Was all that rubbish just because she had black roots? You can barely tell if you look at her.

In any case, may Canada treat her better.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:52 PM   #8
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Gaffer! Of all people - especially all Brits - I was mostly hoping that you would join in!!! Great to see you here again.

Occasionally drop by to see what's what. Good to see you on your legs!

All these nonces will be delighted with this coronapanic. Former First Minister of Scotland currently on trial on 14 counts of sexual assault, he's hardly getting a mention.

Though tbf the incidence of vomiting would probably double if the news was doing the usual thing and regaling us with the lurid details of his vile antics.

I note that the Queen's Son Formerly Known as Her Favourite has backed down on his promise to co-operate with the authorities. Would love to see him extradited and doing 25 years in stir.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:54 PM   #9
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Re: Meghan, it's racism, plain and simple. Mixed with mysogyny - some royal types don't like the idea of royal wives having careers/identities beyond their ovaries and womb. Kate is more of that ilk - passive, "fragrant" in a Mary Archer type way; Meghan is independent AND a bit black, and they can't handle it.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #10
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

And this is why we can't have nice things, I suppose.

Maybe Lady Diana was 'in luck' that she did not live to see the social media days. I can't fault Meghan for noping out now.

With you on Andrew should be getting a prison sentence he so obviously deserves. Even without looking at his previous idiocies, it says enough about the man if he really thought that creepy interview would exonorate him. But I doubt we'll ever uncover the entire bog of nastiness that Epstein and his ilk created. Andrew knows very well why he's shutting up.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote