Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-06-2018, 10:16 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Web Browsers

What do you folks use? The old standby used to be Internet Explorer. Then... it became a bad one to use. I've used Firefox some, and Chrome a lot more.

Just got a new computer and it only came with IE. I am thinking about putting Chrome on it, but I wonder because of all the information-gathering that Google does.

Does everyone else use Chrome? Anyone have any concerns about it?

Are all the other browsers harvesting as much information on us as Chrome is anyway?

I don't even remember now exactly why IE got to be so bad - is it better now? Wonder if I just stick with it...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:25 AM   #2
Alcuin
Salt Miner

I’ve used Firefox for about 20 years; before that, Mozilla; before that, IE, but only briefly; before that, Mosaic; before that, there were no browsers: everything was done from the command line. I remember teasing my older daughter that she’d never learn how to browse without learning the commands; all my kids do browse, of course, but only one has learned to browse using commands. (And I didn’t teach her.)

Right now I’m using Brave on some devices and considering switching everything to Brave. I have great respect for Brandon Eich, and regard his politically-motivated expulsion from Firefox not only a grave betrayal by the board, shooting itself in the foot to satisfy professional rabble-rousers who can never be sated for blood, but a clear indication Firefox no longer deserves the trust of its users. Brave is mostly compatible with Chrome, which I regard as completely and utterly untrustworthy: Google has made a religion of turning “Don’t be evil” on its head.

I’ve used Opera, too, and I like it. I like Chrome, but again, I don’t trust Google. (I’m sorry: Alphabet. They changed their corporate name, didn’t they? Still trade under the symbol GOOG. Of course, Corning still trades under the symbol GLW: “Glow Works”: they used to make light bulbs.) Tried SeaMonkey: it’s a discontinued fork of Mozilla, a little clunky. I’ve tried a few others: Squirrel deserves some mention; but without a solid team behind the browser, I am concerned about hacking, adequate java-script controls, and so forth.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:38 AM   #3
Mari
Elf Lady

I use Firefox and like it. I always browse in private mode, but then, I'm one of those few people who didn't have to worry about FB abusing their data, because I do read the small letters and turned everything that could be turned off off.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:24 AM   #4
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Used IE for years but eventually went to Firefox for security reasons. Virusses became too big an issue.

Firefox is okay to use, and to adjust to my (what my sister calls paranoid) preference of privacy. But lately I have been having issues with energy-usage so that I wouldn't mind looking into an alternative. Unfortunately I have to maintain the computers for the rest of the family and they are all familiar with Firefox so it's likely to stay anyway.

I have Chrome installed as back-up if Firefox fails but I dislike some of its settings (I can not delete some histories like I can in Firefox and that irks me) so I distrust it about privacy too.

I used Edge (IE's successor) on the newest laptop and while it works okay, I'm not really a fan and its constant whining about being the standard browser does not help its cause.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #5
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

I'm mostly using Opera - both for Windows and for Linux.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote