Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-22-2004, 10:23 AM   #61
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Recipe for Pasta:

In a small amount of olive oil, sweat off some onion and mushroom,
add a finely chopped clove of garlic, a pinch of Herbes de Provence,
and four tablespoons of fresh pesto, take off the heat.

mix two tablespoons of vintage balsamic vinegar with a small block of parmesan, grated

mix both mixtures together with your pasta, and top with mature cheddar

a perfect pasta salad!
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:15 PM   #62
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

OK, enough recipe swapping

What's the most disgusting thing you've ever eaten?

I think it was, in my case, pochole, which is a traditional mexican stew made of pork and corn.

I had been impressing my hosts with my liking of hot chillies and ability to pronounce "quetzalcoche" and I was getting carried away. When I asked what it was, I was told you could have it two ways: like a poofy "gringo" or the traditional, real man's way.

Naturally, I plumped for the latter. Apparently the difference is that the "real man's" way is with using the traditional peasant ingredients, i.e. EAR, CHEEK, LIP, UNIDENTIFIED BIT FOUND BEHIND THE FRIDGE, etc of pig. Not exactly the prime cuts, then.

I had these huge, rubbery lumps of indigestible kak lolling about in my gob.

Somehow I managed not to barf, but worse was to come. Exacttly 18 hours afterwards I was struck down by Montezuma's Revenge and spent the rest of the week passing rusty water.

Last edited by The Gaffer : 11-22-2004 at 01:16 PM.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:56 PM   #63
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

pleasent... isnt that also called menudo? or is that something else? maybe thats the mexican stew made with tripe.

Well Ive had boiled sheeps head before. Its edible as long as you dont look at the thing.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 12:45 PM   #64
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quick! dont you make stuffing with cream?? And I should add this is oyster stuffing cooked as a casserole. Not in the turkey.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 01:33 PM   #65
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Quick! dont you make stuffing with cream?? And I should add this is oyster stuffing cooked as a casserole. Not in the turkey.
I don't. I use stove top stuffing as the base, then I fry up a package of bacon - not crispy - dice up half a large onion, cut up 3 - 4 stalks of celary and add it to the water that is used to make the stuffing. let it boil - then add the bread crumbs that come in the stove top package. I then stuff the turkey.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 04:31 PM   #66
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Gaffer, that's often what happens when you try to be something you aren't.

One thing us Finns always complain about abroad is the lack of dark bread. We eat lots of that here! White bread is really uncommon in my apartment.

England.. Oh sweet memories.. The only breakfast option they had on our hostel was the traditional, English one. Not easy being a vegetarian there!^^

The worst thing i've had? Not sure it's thins one, but i simply can't eat olives. They're disguisting!>.<

And guys:
fried = not good

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 10:28 PM   #67
Bunnie_Queen_1146
90% angel

lol, yea I hate Olives I can't eat them, I can barely stand the smell of them. I can't see how a cucumber can be a pickle its just so werid I think In my oppinion. Does anyone want to explain to me how it works?
/Back when a hoe was a hoe/Coke was a coke/And crack's what you were doing/When you were cracking jokes/Back when a screw was a screw/The wind was all that blew/And when you said I'm down with that Well it meant you had the flu/I miss back when
Bunnie_Queen_1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 01:17 PM   #68
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
Gaffer, that's often what happens when you try to be something you aren't.

Sad but true.

Yeah, whatever happened to proper dark bread with proper taste? We used to get it when I was a kid but you never see it nowadays (really dense stuff you could anchor a boat with). You should get some shipped out of Finland so the rest of us can enjoy it.

IIRC, you can get it in Germany and Holland.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 05:57 PM   #69
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I can't remember the most disgusting thing I've eaten, but I remember something that made my husband gag - blood sausage. He can eat just about anything - he was a missionary kid raised in South America and was taught to eat what was given to you, even if it's a guinea pig roasted on a stick , because they would often eat with poor people who would really make a huge sacrifice to feed their guests. Anyway, they had blood sausage at a restaurant somewhere, and they all had trouble eating it, and I think they all got sick later on that day. They just cringe and shiver when they talk about it.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 07:14 PM   #70
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I got some blood pudding today, want some?

The most disgusting normal food I've eaten is salt licorice. It seems fairly popular in Europe, but when I eat one I feel like I have a nose bleed. Bleech. The things are growing on me now, I feel like I get a smaller nosebleed each time I try one.

The grossest food I've ever eaten is cafeteria food. Somehow apparently non-sadistic people cook food so bad you'd actually have to be trying when put in a cafeteria situation. Turns out a chicken burger with condiments on a toasted bun is actually undercooked chicken on a stale bun with wilted lettuce and too much mayonnaise. When in doubt, deep-fry.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 07:27 PM   #71
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
The most disgusting normal food I've eaten is salt licorice.
I'm not sure - there have been several people - I think Falagar, Grey Wolf and I know Jonathan have all said the most disgusting food is fishballs. I'll take their word for it.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-26-2004, 07:33 PM   #72
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

fishballs aren't that bad! you can get food which is alot more worse than fhisballs like the thing we call's "lutefisk", pfyh!
Old 11-26-2004, 07:50 PM   #73
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Well I want to try fishballs so nyaah . Tasting is believing!

I want to try lutefish too - is that the fermented herring? A northern Sweden speciality.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 11-26-2004, 07:54 PM   #74
jerseydevil

Quote:
Just the thought of them sounds gross. I don't like that type of fish anyway - it reminds me of those gross frozen fishsticks you can get in the grocery store.
Quote:
I want to try lutefish too - is that the fermented herring? A northern Sweden speciality.
I don't like herring. I like none-fishy fish - like flounder and roughy and shark.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-26-2004, 07:58 PM   #75
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Fish that isn't fishy? I love herring. I just had the most delicious herring, it was marinated in delicious mustard. *drools*

Do you like mackerel or snapper?
Quote:
Old 11-26-2004, 09:14 PM   #76
inked
Elf Lord

Nurv,

... about that nappie? perhaps you need one?

I personally love sardines in mustard or tinned fish steaks in tabasco with mustard - real mustard. Ever had 'em with grits? *smacks lips appreciatively and wishes he hadn't eaten so much leftover turkey and dressing - with jalapenos!*
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 02:22 AM   #77
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Well Ive had boiled sheeps head before. Its edible as long as you dont look at the thing.
When my younger brother was a baby, I gave him some mud to eat, and he ate it. What an expression he made!
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 09:57 AM   #78
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Quote:

Sweden speciality! someone have fooled you bigtime Nurv. everyone knows that lutefish is a norwegian speciality. maybe some swedish folks have found it delicious and adopted it, beacuse it is not near to be a swedish meal.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:45 AM   #79
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

My bad. Nobody fooled me, I just thought that it was based on the comment someone from the south a Sweden said, that only people in the north of Sweden eat the stuff.

So I guess we borrowed this from you guys?

Inked! I do not need a nappie! You know that means diaper right?
Quote:
Old 11-27-2004, 10:55 AM   #80
inked
Elf Lord

You will if you eat enough of that stuff!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote