Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-11-2004, 08:09 PM   #21
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

[EDIT by Eärniel: This thread is split off the To the Citizens of the United States of America and added to an already exsisting thread about cooking. Please continue the conversation about food in this thread.]

JD, they don't have cooking, merely sturring mushy stuff together

Last edited by Earniel : 11-18-2004 at 09:34 AM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 09:10 AM   #22
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
JD, they don't have cooking, merely sturring mushy stuff together
i see the pair of you have never eaten toad in the hole, then?
what about good old fashioned roast with pigs in blankets?
fish n chips?
bangers n mash?

these are all popular, delicious english foods, when you substitute the meat for meat alternatives
(and i aint talkin 4 day old lentils and a lettuce leaf )
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:09 AM   #23
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Batter fried fish is gross. Fish should be broiled - broiled flounder is much much better.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:25 AM   #24
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Batter fried fish is gross. Fish should be broiled - broiled flounder is much much better.
You don't like fish and chips? What you need is proper fish and chips, made hot for you, preferably at a pub and served with a pint of Guinness.

The fish should be very fresh, and halibut is best IMO, followed by cod. The batter shouldn't be too thick, and it should be crispy and not too oily. Deep-frying is a dry method of cooking and shouldn't leave too much oil. *glares at cafeterias everywhere*

Then it should be served with thick cut French fries aka chips. Leave the skins on, and again, no too greasy. A dob of coleslaw makes a nice garnish.

This is a seriously delicious and very filling meal, I recommend it to everyone!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:30 AM   #25
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Num!

It's a Scottish thing to deep fry everything. When I was a kid, they used to do deep fried pizza. In fact, I thought that WAS pizza!

And, of course, tis the home of the deep-fried mars bar. No wonder it's the heart disease capital of the universe.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:34 AM   #26
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
You don't like fish and chips? What you need is proper fish and chips, made hot for you, preferably at a pub and served with a pint of Guinness.

The fish should be very fresh, and halibut is best IMO, followed by cod. The batter shouldn't be too thick, and it should be crispy and not too oily. Deep-frying is a dry method of cooking and shouldn't leave too much oil. *glares at cafeterias everywhere*

Then it should be served with thick cut French fries aka chips. Leave the skins on, and again, no too greasy. A dob of coleslaw makes a nice garnish.

This is a seriously delicious and very filling meal, I recommend it to everyone!
I prefer a blob of very sweet garlic mayonnaise - excellent for the dipping of chips
and you be perfectly right - fried food aint sposed ta be greasy
Old 11-15-2004, 10:35 AM   #27
jerseydevil

Quote:
But how do you know I haven't had proper fish and chips? I don't really like fried fish at all.

Gaffer -

Scotland is home to the deep fried mars bar? What about the disgusting deep fried oreo?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-15-2004, 10:37 AM   #28
inked
Elf Lord

Gaffer,

Do they deep fry their ice cream?

Being from the South in the USA and by family being Scots-Irish, nearly everything was fried. Guess it goes to the old country, then.

By the by, since it is now proper to use Scots-Irish I elected to to do so, but growing up in South Carolina the proper term was Scotch-Irish. AND
damned proud of it too!!!!!

Ever had 'forced eggs'?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:38 AM   #29
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i love deep fried cadbury creme eggs - they truly are gorgeous!!
Old 11-15-2004, 10:41 AM   #30
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Good point. I don't know. But just in case you haven't, there's the best way to eat it. And if you don't like fried fish at all, that's not a slight against English cooking. *glares at Spock*

The reason I feel I must stick up for English cooking so ardently is because all the English food I've ever had is delicious! Barring two things - overcooked broccoli by my grandmother, which is probably the only thing she can't cook, and food at this awful tourist trap restarurant in London.

Really, bad English cooking is a thing of the past. Us North Americans aren't ones to talk anyway, there is a sad lack of good cooking abilities floating around (though not in my family ).
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:56 AM   #31
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Gaffer,

Do they deep fry their ice cream?

Being from the South in the USA and by family being Scots-Irish, nearly everything was fried. Guess it goes to the old country, then.

By the by, since it is now proper to use Scots-Irish I elected to to do so, but growing up in South Carolina the proper term was Scotch-Irish. AND
damned proud of it too!!!!!

Ever had 'forced eggs'?
Heh, not to my knowledge, though who knows what innovations have come in since I moved down south? I have no idea what "forced eggs" are, but for some reason I have unpleasant visions of Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke.

The term "Scotch-Irish" originally referred to Protestant Scots who went to live in Ireland, especially Ulster after "King Billy" defeated the Catholic James II's army at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690. So, my guess is that you're descended from that group.

They were particularly prominent in emigration to the New World, having strong ideals about how to go about building society anew.

Deep fried creme eggs! Ye gods.

Last edited by The Gaffer : 11-15-2004 at 10:58 AM.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 11:27 AM   #32
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

Ohh, deep-fried ice-cream is an excellent dish found at any fine Mexican restaurant here in the states. It usually sits in an open tortia, also fried to a crisp.

I suddenly want a limed beer and chicken-soft-taco with tomatoes/lettuce/sour cream........I'll trade anyone my stapler for a taco....any takers

*feeling faint EB scarfs down leftover Halloween candy and stale Mountain Dew......Burp.

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:10 PM   #33
jerseydevil

Quote:
Really, bad English cooking is a thing of the past. Us North Americans aren't ones to talk anyway, there is a sad lack of good cooking abilities floating around (though not in my family ).
American cooking is a wide range of things - from New England to the south to New Orleans to the south west to California. All different styles of cuisine.

I've been to England - I wasn't impressed with the food at all.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-15-2004, 02:41 PM   #34
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Nothing wrong with a good steak and kidney pie. Although this whole Bubble & Squeak thing always made me nervous.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 03:42 PM   #35
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I love Bubble and Squeak. My love for it survived a children's story I has when I was a kid about two hamsters, named Bubble and Squeak, which contained a scary moment where their owner thought they'd been eaten...

The traumas of childhood. But that really tests your loyalty to a food.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 03:54 PM   #36
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

...I'd kill for a bacon butty........Onslow
Old 11-15-2004, 03:55 PM   #37
Janny
The Blobbit

You know, this has reallypopularised the cultural exchange idea.

PS: Had a deep fried mars bar once. Almost died.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:07 PM   #38
inked
Elf Lord

Gaffer,

"Forced eggs" ala Scotch-Irish South Carolinian tradition are boiled egss which having been peeled and completely surrounded by ground sausage are then fried. The 'forcing' appears to indicate the process forcing the sausage flavorings into the already cooked eggs.

Delicious served with fresh buttermilk biscuits and real butter! Of course, one needs a heapin' helpin' grits on the side with plenty of butter and salt to complete the feast. A side of milk gravy from the suasage drippings wouldn't hurt, either.

Now if Paul Newman had eaten those as Cool Hand Luke, the numbers would have been lower in total eggs but the flatulence would have been greater, don't you think? And if the room temperature had been low enough, he would have solidified in that cruciform position as well!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 06:20 PM   #39
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Nurv, I'm trying to decide if I want to agree with you or not on the horrors of english cooking... NZ cuisine *used* to be based on that mucky stuff (sunday roasts, three vege & meat, etc), but has modernised a lot over the last few years. Now our cuisine generally tends to represent a micro-cosm of world cuisines, and is a LOT yummier! So I can only imagine that England has under-gone a similar transformation recently....
Old 11-16-2004, 06:39 AM   #40
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Gaffer,

"Forced eggs" ala Scotch-Irish South Carolinian tradition are boiled egss which having been peeled and completely surrounded by ground sausage are then fried. The 'forcing' appears to indicate the process forcing the sausage flavorings into the already cooked eggs.

Delicious served with fresh buttermilk biscuits and real butter! Of course, one needs a heapin' helpin' grits on the side with plenty of butter and salt to complete the feast. A side of milk gravy from the suasage drippings wouldn't hurt, either.

Now if Paul Newman had eaten those as Cool Hand Luke, the numbers would have been lower in total eggs but the flatulence would have been greater, don't you think? And if the room temperature had been low enough, he would have solidified in that cruciform position as well!
over here, you can have scotch eggs which be boiled eggs coated in sausage and breadcrumbs and fried or welsh eggs which be boiled eggs coated in leek and cheese and fries, never heard term 'forced eggs' though