Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-23-2020, 01:51 AM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Impeachment of President Trump

We haven't had a real political discussion here on Entmoot for a long, long time.

What do you folks think about the ongoing Impeachment of President Trump? The charges that were brought up, the trial beginning in the Senate, all the things that have gotten us here???

Say what you like about anyone else (within Entmoot's guidelines) - but as always, be civil to one another.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #2
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:22 AM   #3
kralizec
Sapling

Amusing post, Alcuin.
In my opinion it's nonsense. A political spectacle and nothing but a waste of time.
kralizec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:55 PM   #4
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

It's a bit of a charade if it's not a proper trial. How can you have the jury deciding what evidence is to be shown to them?

Clearly Trump is bent as a nine-pound note and literally the worst person you can imagine holding that high and formerly respected office.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:44 PM   #5
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

And now for part 2 - post coup edition of Trump impeachment. A bit more serious this time though I doubt there will be enough republican senators who will vote to convict.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:14 AM   #6
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Was the previous impeachment but a year ago? God, time moves like molasses these days, but that still feels like ages ago.

Frankly, IMHO, if having a president goading his extremist followers into a coup by storming the Capitol isn't impeachworthy, I'm at a loss what is.

People have said that Trump could murder someone outright on the streets and would still be protected by the Republican party and it seems those people were correct.

It's bunkers considering how many Republicans could have become victims of the mob in the Capitol and yet after all that they still stand by him and his ilk. Power truly is the most powerful and addictive of drugs.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:18 AM   #7
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
People have said that Trump could murder someone outright on the streets and would still be protected by the Republican party and it seems those people were correct.
I think Trump himself said it, and he's probably right.

It's funny to see the Repugs torn between wanting to inherit the Trumpian base (which works as a noun and adjective here) and wanting to defend their democracy from a fascist mob.

Then you re-read that and it's not funny any more.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:20 PM   #8
Earniel

Ouch, it would be even more painful if Trump himself had said it. He would have gotten something right after all, then.

I didn't think the GOP would have been this scared of Trump outside of the Oval Office, but considering they still are twisting this way and that to continue to shield him from consequences, it seems I was wrong.

I've also still been hearing things about the republicans still pushing for more and more restrictions on access to voting that I feel like the danger to the American democracy is still very much active and present.

Regardless of one's convictions about what governments should and shouldn't regulate, I can't think of one more pressing duty of democratic governments than the safeguarding and operating of free and correct elections.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:01 AM   #9
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

For the past 20-odd years I've been saying that the Republican party is the second most dangerous political organisation in the world, behind the Chinese Communist Party. Now we see why. I think it's hard to underestimate their moral turpitude.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:43 PM   #10
katya
Elven Maiden

So, admittedly, I have not been following all the details of this impeachment or much of what's going on with the new administration, but I'm a little disappointed Trump hasn't been arrested and thrown in prison yet. It's just really baffling to me that there are no consequences anymore, for anything. And I don't really get the reasoning behind "You can't impeach someone after they are not president anymore" if the crimes happened while he was president.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:39 AM   #11
Earniel

Well, that was a sad day for democracy and good governance the USA.

A sad day but sadly not a surprising day.