Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #341
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

We're halfway through another regular season.

REALLY happy with the Bulls here in Chicago. Didn't get one of those supposedly prime, star-power free agents (James, Wade, Bosh - all in Miami), but:
* We DID acquire Carlos Boozer. I had not seem him play a whole lot before, but I am really impressed with him. He's a good player, and he works hard. He missed the start of the season, and once he came in - he fit right in.
* Joaquim (SP?) Noah is really turning into a heckuva player! He's a rebounding machine, and although he's not as muscular as some of the classic centers, he can do things those guys cannot do - like run the floor, take a rebound coast-to-coast, etc. He had a great start this year - is presently out for a couple months due to midseason surgery, but is due back in mid- to late-February. We expect the Bulls to really rock once he's back. If you don't know - he's the son of former French tennis star, Jannick Noah.
* Because they cleared so much room, hoping to make the major free agent acquisition, there's been a lot of changover. The new guys fit in quite well - including Kyle Korver, who has been hitting some nice 3's for us lately.
* Continued development of Luol Deng, Taj Gibson and... Derrick Rose! Rose is becoming a fantastic player. Just watch this guy!

Within the past several weeks, the Bulls have beaten the Lakers, the Celtics and the Heat. All at home - but we've been without Noah for all those games (the Heat were also without Lebron James). We also lost a few within the past week to teams we should beat - so they need to learn to take care of business against those kinds of teams and not let them take games from you. But... they'll learn that. One of the best records in the East right now, although for all but a few games, we had either Boozer or Noah out of action. Both were out yesterday, and the Bulls won, with D Rose getting his first ever triple-double... not bad for a guard!

These guys are young and we're thinking this team could be very good for years to come.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #342
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Rose has become a complete stud as many of us predicted when he was drafted. Its good to see his development has progressed. He has some of the best athletic plays of the season. Some of the stuff he can do with the ball is amazing. Heres hoping John Wall becomes the new Derrick Rose in 2 or 3 years as many are also predicting. Hes in the same mold: athletic, great instincts and fast as lightening. In fact he reminds me of a Derrick Rose meets Alan Iverson just not quite as good as either yet.

Boozer is a great pick up. I make it a rule to always try to grab him for my fantasy teams because hes a lock for 25 points and 10 boards almost every game (if you can hold your breath through his inevitable injuries like this week... will he be back for the Dallas game Thursday?). Plus hes an underrated offensive facilitator. Noah has been a surprise this year. He actually has developed some offensive ability beyond just tipping in missed shots like he did at Florida or playing a kind of Anderson Varejo non scoring role like he has in his pro career up to this point. Still needs to work on that scary looking free throw delivery though.

But lets give some credit to Mr. Blake Griffin who is proving to be more than the real deal after sitting out all of his rookie year with an injury. He is most definitely the new Human Highlight film (even Dominique says so) and does some things on the court that makes me have a hard time believing my own eyes. And 47 points, 14 rebounds?! How many power forwards are putting up numbers like that in the entire league? He better get some serious playing time in the All Star game is all I can say.

EDIT: Oh! And almost forgot, gotta give some love to Kevin Love too. I mean multiple 30/30 games?? Who does he think he is Wilt Chamberlain?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 01-19-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #343
Valandil

Somewhat personal note here. We attend a really small church in Chicago. One of our members is a guy who is in his mid-late 30's, and is co-owner of an animation company. They did some animation for a movie about black athletes coming into the NBA.

Well... last night he was on some kind of roundtable / discussion / panel about it. Along with him were: Jesse Jackson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Jerry Reinsdorf (owner of the Bulls) - and some other heavy hitters. I just saw photos his wife posted of him posing with these guys. There's also one of him posing with Joakim Noah.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 01-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #344
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

That's awesome!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #345
Valandil

Derrick Rose should be illegal. He ought to get a speeding ticket every time he drives the lane. Soon the NBA will be forced to do something about him - like only allow the Bulls to play 4 guys when he's on the court.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 04-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #346
Valandil

Bulls finish regular season with best record in NBA!!!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 05-15-2011, 11:32 PM   #347
Valandil

*talking to myself here*

Feeling really good about the opening game of the 3rd round series (NBA East Finals): Chicago Bulls 103 - Miami Heat 82!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 05-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #348
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Miami was in trouble from the start what with all the "experts" favoring them to win. Wait didnt Chicago have the best record in the NBA this year? AND they are playing at home? So of course they came out angry looking to prove something and you saw it in the brutal defense they used against them and the especially physical inside game they played (since when did Taj Gibson become Dr. Dunkenstein!?)

But all that being said, dont expect LeBron to have another off night in game two though. In fact expect him to come out and play huge after his weak first game performance. Miami would still love to steal one before they go back home.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:58 AM   #349
Valandil

Yes - we'll have to see how the second game goes. I'm hoping the first one showed us a pattern of what we'll be seeing. And yes - the Bulls had all these things going for them, but the media really wants to annoint the Heat.

It's totally incredible that three years ago, there was any kind of Chicago media debate on the draft pick: Derrick Rose or Michael Beasley. I am SO glad the Bulls made the pick they did.

Meanwhile - tonight is the NBA Draft Lottery (Show). Best wishes for Washington, IR!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 05-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #350
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
Meanwhile - tonight is the NBA Draft Lottery (Show). Best wishes for Washington, IR!
Yeah I doubt lightening will strike twice in two years for the habitually bad luck Wizards but who knows. Clearly we dont need another point guard so Kyrie Irving wouldnt do any good but Derrick Williams would be real nice (or Sullinger if he ever decides to come out). But that would take the number one pick. They need size and the draft is only so deep in big men this year.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #351
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

So congrats to the Dallas Mavericks for winning the NBA Championship this year. They truly deserve it and its great to see Dirk and Jason Kidd and Jason Terry and all those guys finally get a ring. I was definitely pulling for them. And while I have to admit there is an aspect of satisfaction (relief?) that the newly formed "All Star" team in Miami didnt win it all in their first year together, I do think its now time to stop the bashing against the Heat and especially against LeBron who has received his fair share and then some since he made his "announcement" last summer. Did he do some things wrong in how it was all announced? Yeah definitely. Is the instant all star team precedent they set disturbing to a lot of us basketball fans? No doubt about it. But does he deserve the kind of cruel low life maligning he's been dealing with from so many people simply because he chose to make a change as a free agent and now because he didnt win the championship? No. So weve had our fun and sent him a message for the first year. Now lets move on can we? Hes a decent guy who works as hard as the next guy and he deserves success as much as anyone. So lets congratulate the Mavericks for their WIN not ridicule the Heat for their loss. Its a new season now...

Old 05-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #352
Valandil

Yay Bulls! Beat Miami Heat in Game 1 of Round 2!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 05-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #353
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
Yay Bulls! Beat Miami Heat in Game 1 of Round 2!
And then got completely smoked in game 2. Still consider it a huge win to get out of Miami with a split. What are they now? Missing 3 starters including their best player?

Old 05-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #354
Valandil

We haven't posted to this thread for awhile. Maybe IR will come back around. Any other NBA fans? I am one - just of the casual variety.

I had thought about it two years ago, when Minnesota hired Tom Thibodeau as coach - then last summer I totally switched my allegiance from the Chicago Bulls to the Minnesota Timberwolves. Continual dissatisfaction with Bulls management, they ran Thibs out of town, got rid of all the players I had grown to love - then went on a "tanking" campaign to start about the 6th "re-build" since the Jordan era.

So when Minnesota traded for Jimmy Butler - formerly my very favorite Bulls player - then kept picking up other former Bulls, it was easy to switch allegiances. Like cheering for the same team, different uniforms.

Anyway - happy with how my T-wolves did this year. Interesting stuff going on in the NBA otherwise: all the guys switching teams last summer, emergence of the 76ers, how well the Harden/Paul pairing has worked in Houston (most legitimate challenger to what has been a powerhouse Warriors team - which I'm already sick of), and Boston coming on strong and staying strong - even after losing TWO top acquisitions from this past summer. Pelicans are a very interesting team now. All kinds of new talent emerging. And probably at least 12-15 ex-Bulls in the playoffs on other teams - while the Bulls had a very bad record, but not near the worst (does tanking really work if 8+ teams are doing it in a given year? :P ).

Anybody else out there watching - and enjoying at all?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court