Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-08-2000, 05:23 PM   #1
jedi master princess

admit it!!

who here reads trashy romance novels??

i know i do. most romance novels truly suck...but once in a while i chance upon a writer who really has the knack for writing and characterizing in fiction. nora robert's stuff are a good example.
Old 07-09-2000, 06:15 PM   #2
Anne Dralen

Re: admit it!!

I don't read the "trashy" one...I've got a ton of the regular kind. Sillhouette, Harlequin...You're right, it's really hard to find a good writer in the motherlode of ****, but it makes the rare good ones that much better.
Old 07-14-2000, 08:23 PM   #3
jedi master princess

which authors do you like?

i love nora roberts.
Old 12-11-2000, 11:09 PM   #4
Grand Admiral Reese

Nope, can't say that I do. Don't want to, either.
Old 12-11-2000, 11:49 PM   #5
X Rogue

I have been known to read Norah Lofts or Victoria Holt/Jean Plaidy. But that's the closest I really get.
Old 12-12-2000, 02:27 PM   #6
Miralys

Well I'm not much into romance specifically unless it happens to be mixed in with sci-fi or fantasy books. One romance book I did read cause it was highly reccomended was "The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks (?). That was a really good book.
Old 12-14-2000, 09:35 PM   #7
Darth McClain

I dont want to and I havn't.
Old 12-15-2000, 01:33 AM   #8
Elysha

Never!

Never!

The romances I read are not trashy.

I will not admit any such thing.

I have no such thing to admit.

Do not ask me!

My favorite romance author? Jane Austen!

Very definitely NOT trashy.
Old 12-17-2000, 04:18 PM   #9
SilvaRanger

Re admit it

I once went through a phase of reading ....groan, Barbara Cartland books, is that trashy enough? They were all tall dark eyed dashing men, mostly on horseback, who seemed aloof and uncaring at first but then fell pasionately in love with the beautifull intelligent woman. Finaly I came to my senses and realised that once you'd read one you realyy didn't need to read anymore, as they're all written to the same formula. A formula which has made her very very rich!
I don't read trashy stuff anymore, I'm far too sensible now, definitely.
Old 01-07-2001, 10:37 PM   #10
jedi master princess

Re: Re admit it

hehe. but sometimes trashy can be good for your system. there was a period of time last year when i just didn't want to think. so i borrowed great trashy romances from my friend when i had nothing to do.

and jane austen is definitely not trashy. i never think of her as a romance writer though...more like a biting social commentary writer.
Old 01-09-2001, 02:23 AM   #11
Elysha

Jane Austen

Perhaps not romantic in the intellectual sense of the word, because she always holds reason above temporal emotion. The brilliant social commentary is there, but the characters and relationships are very strong, and the romantic interest is not by any means lacking! Consider Mr. Darcy & Elizabeth Bennet! And Mr. Knightley has reigned supreme over more than 19th century ladies!

I don't like romances in which the women have no character or independence, but spend their lives simply waiting for Prince Charming to recognize their hidden value. Jane Austen's characters have their own strength and individuality; their individuality consists not so much in rebelling against social norms as in holding principles and truth more important than position in society.

Although we can't take her books out of their historical context, the characters of Jane Austen are still recognizable today. Many Lydia Bennets and Mr. Wickhams, for example, exist today. And Mr. Collins! and Lady Catherine de Bourgh, the incorrigible, arrogant, meddling Kochlüffel!

I reread JA's books over and over not so much for their social commentary as for the romantic interest and humorous characters that populate them.
Old 01-09-2001, 02:50 PM   #12
SilvaRanger

Re: Jane Austen

I love some of the tv adaptions of Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice was excellent. I tried to read the books and found them quite heavy going, rather long winded.
I agree jane austen is not trashy, shes one of the classic english authors.
I think the women in pride and prejudice are quite independant, though because of the era they lived in their lives are still defined in many ways by the men in them. For example I seem to remember an element of failure if a woman wasn't married by a certain age, and the men still seemed to have more power than the women.
Old 06-05-2001, 02:31 AM   #13
cee2lee2

Of course I read 'em! They're great mind candy when the poor brain has been overworked. They're also good for wiating on line when you don't want to become too engrossed or have to concentrate on understanding something.

I like Jane Austen too. It doesn't get any better than Pride and Prejudice.
Old 06-13-2001, 12:55 AM   #14
Mace McClain

I like a good millitary fic book by Clancy or adventure by Crichton anyday more that that.
Old 07-20-2001, 09:36 PM   #15
MeiouSetsunaSama

naw…

I don't really read any romance. The only romances I wind up reading are stuck in the middle of fantasy and the occasional scifi novel. My mom loves Jane Austen's work though.