Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-06-2002, 04:23 PM   #1
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Tolkien discussion group at your local library

I've offered to hostess a JRR Tolkien discussion night at our local library. I think the time is right, with the interest the movies are stirring up. Anyway, if at least one person comes, I'll be happy! I love the internet posting, but I would really like to talk about Middle Earth face to face with somone! Has anyone else done this? Any suggestions? I have lots of ideas, but first I have to see the interest level. I'll probably get half the home school kids in town! That's ok though... Whatever!

Last edited by Lizra : 10-06-2002 at 04:25 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 05:10 PM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Lucky! I wish MY library would do something like this! Hmm... Maybe I'll go and suggest it.
Old 10-06-2002, 05:27 PM   #3
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Not fair, my Preciousssss.... er, just kidding. I don't think my library would do that. No one would come anyway.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 09:34 PM   #4
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Our libraries (I'm stradled between two small towns) are delighted when someone comes up with new ideas for community programs. They are floored when someone actually offers to get involved. I wouldn't rule it out you guys! Suggest or volunteer, the time is right! Grab the bull by the horns. If I get no interest (I really can't imagine that though!) so what! I tried. We'll see. I'm hoping to be able to do this on a regular basis!
Old 10-22-2002, 07:56 PM   #5
Celebrian
Enting

My Library has a book discussion club, they just don't disscus LotR. I think I might suggest it to them.

Tall ships and tall kings, three times three.
What brought they form the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones and one white tree.
Celebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 03:32 PM   #6
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Lucky you! The only one I can discuss Tolkien with in RL is my sister. Oh, well discuss is probably too big a word. And seen the sleepy state of my town I don't think I have to expect such initiatives in my library.
Old 10-26-2002, 01:20 PM   #7
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Well, I wish that I could do it, but, since I am only 13... If only my parents liked it to! Maybe I could get Ray to help me....

My library is really lame. It has just about no good books, it's really small, and you are always having to stand around for 5 minutes before any of the libraryians will help you. Plus, all of the books are kids and research. I was trying to find adult fantacy books the other day (only 13, but the other ones are under my reading level so, I hang out in the adult section mostly) and geuss how many the WHOLE library had? 2. Only 2. Out of the whole library!!!! If I wanted to borow FOTR, I would probally have to wate 1 week for another library that had it in to get it to me, and 3 weeks if it was checked out at the moment, and had been already ovedue, and 5 weeks if they had to get it from another library and someone had it out. I won't even start with the waiting lists. Geuss how many books they had on Queen Elizabeth? 2. Geuss how many books I can find that was writen by Gary Paulson (my 2nd favorite auther, who has writen ALOT of books) ummm, about 4 or so.

I don't think that with such a bad library, I would ever get in, or anyone to come!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 01:38 PM   #8
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

That is so strange! Both our small libraries seem to be oozing $$$$. So much so, I'm tempted to bite the hand that feeds me. I mean, part of our property tax $$ goes to the libraries. The schools always seem so broke, yet the libraries have way too much stuff. I'd like to see a little more money go to the schools, I guess. Both libraries are building new buildings, adding playgrounds, new "Gates" computers, tons of DVD's, CDRom, videos, books on tapes, blah blah blah! They have so much stuff it's frustrating to go there. (like my house if I didn't stay right on top of all the clutter) I do think I might wait till TT comes out in the theaters before doing my night. They don't care if I want to do it, they just don't want to have to do any work because they are already overly busy (reasons above! ). Of course being old does have it's benefits!! People do take you seriously. I wonder why my libraries are so "happenning" and yours not? We do have very competent women running both....They go out and apply for grants, but I don't know
Old 10-26-2002, 01:59 PM   #9
azalea
Long lost mooter

I think that sounds like a great idea! Our library is very poor, too. It's too bad because our community really needs a good library. Since I'll be moving soon, I hope there's a good library there. Maybe I'll start a Tolkein disscussion group, or better yet, maybe one already exists!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 02:16 PM   #10
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Well, our schooles are poor, and our library's are poorer. I think that most of the tax money in North Coralina go to rode consruction. A year or 2 ago, we were going to have inspecters to come and inspect our rodes. So that they would look good, my city spent all of this money "preparing" the rodes, so that they would look pretty. But, instead of redoing the rodes, they redid the side of the rodes. First, they picked spots, and then they started planting, I forgot what the total amount of money spent on the rodes was, but, it was a lot. And what's more? The plants that they planted were the kinds that when they die, they never come back. If only we had better librarys ect. I would be so happy. I would also be happy if schools got enof tax money, that we wouldn't have to have old scrached desks (wich they are improving) bad marker bords, un- edgecated teachers, and so that would stop sending home fundraising forms evey week.

Anyways, that is a little bit of topic so...

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote