Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2006, 05:18 AM   #1
Draken
Elf Lord

New Tolkien book out next spring

Apparently. Don't know if anyone has posted about it yet, but I found this in today's Independent

Tolkien's son completes father's unfinished epic

By Andrew Buncombe in Washington
Published: 19 September 2006

All aboard for Middle Earth! Christopher Tolkien, son of the late, legendary creator of The Lord of the Rings, has completed an unfinished story started by his father which will be published next spring.

Mr Tolkien has spent the past 30 years working on The Children of Hurin, which his father began in 1918 and later abandoned. Though excerpts have been published this will be the first time a completed version of the epic story featuring the elves and dwarves of Middle Earth has appeared. It will be published by HarperCollins in the UK and by Houghton Mifflin in the US.

Mr Tolkien said: "It has seemed to me for a long time that there was a good case for presenting my father's long version of the legend of the Children of Hurin as an independent work, between its own covers."

Mr Tolkien, 81, who lives in France, has spent much of his life organising, deciphering and publishing stories of his father's that only appeared handwritten, often on scraps of paper. He has admitted that at times he has been forced to use guesswork to decide upon his father's intentions.

Despite this he has been a successful editor of his father's work and in 1977 he oversaw the publication of the novel The Silmarillion. This was followed by Unfinished Tales in 1980, and then the 12 volumes of The History of Middle-earth between 1983 and 1996.

His father's Lord of the Rings trilogy has sold more than 50 million copies and was made into a hugely successful series of Hollywood films, directed by Peter Jackson. Christopher Tolkien spoke out against the films, saying he believed the novels were not suitable for film adaptation.

All aboard for Middle Earth! Christopher Tolkien, son of the late, legendary creator of The Lord of the Rings, has completed an unfinished story started by his father which will be published next spring.

Mr Tolkien has spent the past 30 years working on The Children of Hurin, which his father began in 1918 and later abandoned. Though excerpts have been published this will be the first time a completed version of the epic story featuring the elves and dwarves of Middle Earth has appeared. It will be published by HarperCollins in the UK and by Houghton Mifflin in the US.

Mr Tolkien said: "It has seemed to me for a long time that there was a good case for presenting my father's long version of the legend of the Children of Hurin as an independent work, between its own covers."

Mr Tolkien, 81, who lives in France, has spent much of his life organising, deciphering and publishing stories of his father's that only appeared handwritten, often on scraps of paper. He has admitted that at times he has been forced to use guesswork to decide upon his father's intentions.
Despite this he has been a successful editor of his father's work and in 1977 he oversaw the publication of the novel The Silmarillion. This was followed by Unfinished Tales in 1980, and then the 12 volumes of The History of Middle-earth between 1983 and 1996.

His father's Lord of the Rings trilogy has sold more than 50 million copies and was made into a hugely successful series of Hollywood films, directed by Peter Jackson. Christopher Tolkien spoke out against the films, saying he believed the novels were not suitable for film adaptation.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote