Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-27-2007, 12:46 AM   #1
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Obscure Tolkien Character of the Day

Purpose of this thread: to pay homage to the more obscure characters that we never talk about. Pick one character and tell us about them in a few sentences.

Elanor's obscure Tolkien character of the day: Niggle, from the short story "Tree and Leaf."

Niggle is the star of his own story, but it's such an obscure story that he counts as an obscure character. Niggle was a painter who was obsessed with painting every leaf of one tree in great detail, but he was too helping his annoying neighbor. He was put in an institution, which is probably symbolic of death, but one of the leaves of his painting got put in a museum and he ended up in a beautiful garden that included his own Tree.

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:16 AM   #2
Belwen_of_nargothrond
Enting

Greetings

Mine would be Theodred. He had such a small part in the books and sometimes I'll think of him and wonder what his personality would have been or what his life was life in Rohan. We know so little about the Prince of Rohan.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

What about Trotter the Hobbit Ranger?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor View Post
Purpose of this thread: to pay homage to the more obscure characters that we never talk about. Pick one character and tell us about them in a few sentences.

Elanor's obscure Tolkien character of the day: Niggle, from the short story "Tree and Leaf."

Niggle is the star of his own story, but it's such an obscure story that he counts as an obscure character. Niggle was a painter who was obsessed with painting every leaf of one tree in great detail, but he was too helping his annoying neighbor. He was put in an institution, which is probably symbolic of death, but one of the leaves of his painting got put in a museum and he ended up in a beautiful garden that included his own Tree.
Oh, I loved Leaf by Niggle!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Uncle Andy!
Old 03-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #6
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I love the little dog in "Farmer Giles of Ham" - can't recall his name offhand ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an View Post
I love the little dog in "Farmer Giles of Ham" - can't recall his name offhand ...
"They called him Skipper... Skipper the dog!"

Nope... I just looked it up, and his name was Garm.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Do we need to spend a whole day thinking about Garm now that we know his name, or were a couple days without the knowledge sufficient?

- - - - - - -

I'd like to suggest a day in honor of Andreth, wise woman of the First Age Beorans (and if I remember the family trees right, an aunt of Beren). She is featured only in the story "Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth" found in Morgoth's Ring - Vol 10 of The History of Middle Earth.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:37 AM   #9
Vidugavia
Hobbit

Vidugavia, the first and maybe the only king of all Rhovanion. He lived around 1250 TA and together with his presumed wife, an even more obscure character, he produced one of the main cause for the gondorian kinstrife. Namely a daugther named Vidumavi.

Rómendacil II of Gondor became an ally to Vidugavia and his son Valacar became very friendly to Vidumavi. Problems arose but by that time Vidugavia was long dead.
Vidugavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #10
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
Do we need to spend a whole day thinking about Garm now that we know his name, or were a couple days without the knowledge sufficient?
I love Garm!!
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:02 AM   #11
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Ha! It's a new day. Now I can post one...

Aerin. She took care of Morwen, and was taken to wife by Brodda, an Easterling. Not much else is said about her. But I think I like her.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:19 AM   #12
Vidugavia
Hobbit

Dis
D*s was the daughter of Thráin II, sister of Thorin Oakenshield and Frerin and mother of Kili and Fili. She is the only dwarf-woman named in Tolkiens stories and was born in 2760 TA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge
Aerin. She took care of Morwen, and was taken to wife by Brodda, an Easterling. Not much else is said about her. But I think I like her.
Aerin might be my favorite character in "The children of Hurin". She makes a very good stoic and compasionate contrast to Turin the Twit.
Vidugavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #13
Midge
Faithful Gardener

I DO NOT like Turin. I don't know why. I wish the story of Tuor had continued and that Tolkien had completely left out the story of Turin. It's already all over the Silmarillion.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #14
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor View Post
My obscure character: Elendur son of Isildur and grandson of Elendil. He fought and died with his father at Gladden Fields. Kingly, loyal, noble, and one can only imagine, handsome He was said to be the most like his grandfather.
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote