Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Hyperion by Dan Simmons!!!!

The Hyperion series by Dan Simmons:

Your thoughts, impressions, interpretations on this fantastic series.

Also thoughts on any of his books are welcome. Illium is also quite impressive.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

I hope some of you guys have read hyperion, six views and no replies yet. If you haven't read this series, I strongly suggest you do, the matrix and the terminator has nothing on this book. The Shrike is one of the most terrifying antagonist I have ever read about.

However the themes are so familiar to the offer mentioned movies that I wouldn't be suprised that they all had the same source; god I hope not, I love Dan's work.

...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
Old 07-11-2006, 04:24 PM   #3
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Awesome series!

I especially liked the first two, but the whole series was very creative and well-written (in a literary way) for a scifi book.

Highly-recommended!
Old 07-12-2006, 02:28 AM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

<- points to title.

Loved the first two books, the next two were a bit weak, IMO. But the first two were astounding. Loved how Hyperion gradually revealed each characters' stories, and journeys.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:15 PM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I read the first one but found no mention of there being a sequel, so I was not really impressed. The whole book is basically just a set-up with everybody's story why they're going -they're interesting enough, mind you- but IMO it all failed to deliver as you didn't learn what happened when they arrived, which seemed to me the more interesting part. I thought that was a bit cheap, promising much and delivering naught, and that while Hyperion was such a lauded book.

The only thing I found really interesting was the tree-ship and the notion of the time-tombs.

When I learned there was another book, the story just didn't compell me enough to want to know what happened afterwards.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion should really be thought of as one book for the reasons you mentioned. Unfortunately, they were not released as such, and I can see how just reading the first would leave things quite incomplete.

The second book moves things along all together and wraps up just about everything the first one leaves open.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:01 PM   #7
The Telcontarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion should really be thought of as one book for the reasons you mentioned. Unfortunately, they were not released as such, and I can see how just reading the first would leave things quite incomplete.

The second book moves things along all together and wraps up just about everything the first one leaves open.
And tied it up quite magnificently too, amazing story.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:53 PM   #8
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telcontarion
The Hyperion series by Dan Simmons:

Your thoughts, impressions, interpretations on this fantastic series.

Also thoughts on any of his books are welcome. Illium is also quite impressive.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Editorial Reviews

On the eve of Armageddon, with the entire galaxy at war, seven pilgrims set forth on a final voyage to Hyperion seeking the answers to the unsolved riddles of their lives. Each carries a desperate hope--and a terrible secret. And one may hold the fate of humanity in his hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Doesn't sound like anything I'd like.
A readers Review:
Though 'Hyperion' is dependent upon its sequel and ends with a tooth-grinding cliff-hanger, it is in its way self-contained. 'Hyperion' is centered on the six pilgrims' tales, their pasts, the terrible needs which drive them to confront what is almost certain death--or worse. Each of the tales is written in a unique style, and each introduces a new element to bind the story as a whole. All are wrenching, even disturbing in their intensity, in their focus on the deepest possible of human suffering.
Do not read this book if you're looking for a light, fun read. In fact, forget it. This book defies all expectations, serves up horrors that were hitherto unimaginable if you are even remotely sane. Dan Simmons is in this book exploring a world that has lost its soul and is decaying by inches. To underscore that decay, the tales focus on the underpinnings of humanity--death, love, parenthood, art--and twist them into the most horrific contortions possible. The tale of the cruciform, for example, investigates with terrifying clarity the possibility of there being a fate far, far worse than death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Sounds like more apocalyptical propaganda.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:20 AM   #9
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

I've read his Ilium and Olympos, and thought them fairly good. At least Ilium, Olympos didn't have the same intensity. Had some really interesting concepts, like the scholar caugth in the middle of a 're-enactment' of the Iliad.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:31 AM   #10
ecthelion
Enting

I saw in Hyperion a different point. It is a work of art by itself, both in the literature sense and in the science fiction sense. Seven stories, all different, all terribly unexpected. It is somewhat like "the wizard of oz", but very different of course.
And in my opinion it is a book to itself, and no sequel was needed. It was beautiful as it ended. In my opinion, the two sequels are very different from the first, and much more main-stream science fiction. The first is the real masterpiece, maybe because it leaves completely to our imagination what happens when The Shrike appears.
But that's just my opinion...

What does "LOL" mean?
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:08 AM   #11
The Telcontarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecthelion
I saw in Hyperion a different point. It is a work of art by itself, both in the literature sense and in the science fiction sense. Seven stories, all different, all terribly unexpected. It is somewhat like "the wizard of oz", but very different of course.
And in my opinion it is a book to itself, and no sequel was needed. It was beautiful as it ended. In my opinion, the two sequels are very different from the first, and much more main-stream science fiction. The first is the real masterpiece, maybe because it leaves completely to our imagination what happens when The Shrike appears.
But that's just my opinion...
I couldn't agree more, though I do think the sequels where needed though; you just had to know Aenea's story.

The savior of the universe, it was well done.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:01 AM   #12
The Telcontarion

I have to say I disagree with the ultimate message of the story though, which is that we don't repeat we just die and go into oblivion, end of story.

We are infinate beings, and I think that the magnitude of the story illustrated this well. So that was a twist at the end that I did not expect. I was very desappointed.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:13 AM   #13
ecthelion
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telcontarion
I have to say I disagree with the ultimate message of the story though, which is that we don't repeat we just die and go into oblivion, end of story.

We are infinate beings, and I think that the magnitude of the story illustrated this well. So that was a twist at the end that I did not expect. I was very desappointed.
You can believe what you want, but that is a bit of wishful thinking. However, The story doesn't send the dead into oblivion. Their voices can still be heard...

What does "LOL" mean?
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:12 PM   #14
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

I think many of the negative reviews Hyperion gets has to do with the fact that the author chooses to delve pretty deeply into religious concepts in a way that few scifi authors do, except Frank Herbert. People always get touchy having their beliefs examined, and some people just don't like it. But for those that can, it's a very thoughtful story.

And, in the end, it's not too tough on religion anyway. He points out the flaws in the organization of religion and fanaticism while embracing many of the root concepts. Unfortunately, for many people the "symbols" of religion are more important than the ideas behind them.

As for afterlife, he doesn't really get into that, though he certainly leaves open the idea that there is something more.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:09 PM   #15
The Telcontarion

Finally read olympus, it was very well done. Could have had more of a punch at the end though.

But you just can't get past or fail to be amazed at the genius of Simmons.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:53 PM   #16
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, I've been muddling through Hyperion. I have to say, I am not hooked yet. I'm up to the Scholar's tale and have only occasionally drawn in to the story.

An obvious throwback to "The Canterbury Tales", Simmons has an obvious love for classic literature. One can only assume that he will write books incorporating Dante's "Inferno" and/or Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress".

I am finding the whole Hyperion/Shrike device a little hard to embrace, maybe it's just too early in the book(s) to really get hooked. I do recall being much more enamoured of "Ilium" by this point, though. Maybe Simmons' muse grew with time.

I'm not yet ready to toss the book aside, but I do find myself just skimming through page after page looking for a "hook" to draw me into caring what happens to the characters. We'll jsut have to see what a full read shows.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:21 PM   #17
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

The priest's tale is probably my favorite. I'd say if it's not your thing so far though, you probably won't like it as it really doesn't change that dramatically as it moves along.

That said, they are relatively short books, so worth completing.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:34 PM   #18
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Jesus Christ on a crutch, what an immense waste of my money and my time.

The last two hundred pages were more of a chore than a diversion. I skipped through page after page, reading maybe five words per page. Once my attention wandered off, getting back into the story was beyond my capabilities.

THIS book won a HUGO? What the hell was the competition?

I just don't get it. Page after page of words with no real point. Story after story from unsympathetic characters (except for the old Sol guy) then a lapse into dull sci-fi tinted murder mystery. How utterly boring, how inanely pointless, what an exercise in nothingness. It is hard to believe this is the same guy who wrote "Ilium" and "Olympos". Like I said before, this fellow's muse grew over time, apparently. Had I not bought "Fall of Hyperion" at the same time I bought "Hyperion" I'd not be motivated to go to the bookstore for it.

I'll drag my eyes across the pages of the second book, but I hold out little hope for entertainment. It is a chore dripping in drudgery and ennui that will be the trip between the front cover and the back. I can predict I'll go to the grave not reading the Endemiyon stuff, having been so thoroughly bored with the first book.

To each their own, and hey, if you got into this book, then that's cool, glad you enjoyed it. Some folks can get all hot and bothered over James Fennimore Cooper, as well.

It was like Robert Jordan backwards; the earlier writings are basically unreadable while later books are enjoyable, engrossing reads.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:42 PM   #19
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

As I said, you probably won't like it.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:37 PM   #20
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Good call, jenkins.