Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-27-2004, 03:41 AM   #1
HLGStrider
Hobbit

Eragon

Now I can list the pros and cons of this book and they exist. It is a fantasy novel by a young, first time author (19 in age), and I think that is why I like it so much. If he can do it, I can too. I'm nearly as good as him!

Anyway, has anyone read it? What did they think?

I liked a lot of the elements. . .and I am awaiting the sequel if only to prove my theory right about certain family trees that I have been speculating on.

I predict that Eragon has a half brother he doesn't know about, for instance, but who we have already met in the story.
HLGStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 03:52 AM   #2
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I've only read half of it, so I won't be looking at this thread for a very long time, I expect. The author was a good writer, in my opinion. I didn't encounter any new ideas in the book, so I ended up losing interest. He is good at writing, though.

EDIT: And this will be the only part of our conversation that Valandil reads .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 04:04 AM   #3
HLGStrider
Hobbit

MU HA HA HA The evil exclusiveness of it all. Only I, Lief, and Christoph the Beta Fish know!

Where was I?

I could see where Paolini could use a little work on his style. For one thing he gave the villianous shade Maroon eyes. Maroon? What serious fantasy writer allows the color Maroon into his work! If you are a serious fantasy writer and have the word maroon in your work, go delete it immediately. No one uses the word herb in a rock song. No one uses maroon in a fantasy book.

He also will occasionally throw in a big word where a small one would fit and I know what that is. He was homeschooled and is showing off his vocabulary. I know because I was homeschooled and used to do the same thing. Homeschoolers love to show off vocabulary. It's our main fault.

However, I did like certain plot elements, especially the dragon herself and the WareCat. I just like cats, however. The character Angelica was too contrived and the females don't feel real, but he's new to this.
HLGStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 04:16 AM   #4
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
EDIT: And this will be the only part of our conversation that Valandil reads .

But I haven't even read the book! Is the title (and is it a character name) a bit of a play with the word 'dragon'? The first time I saw it I did a double-take, wondering if the 'E' was supposed to be a fancy 'D' - and if the title was 'Dragon'! Silly me!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:07 AM   #5
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

But it was supposed to look like Dragon, CP purposely spelled it almost like Dragon.

I think it's a great book, by the way!!

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:28 PM   #6
Iboen
Hobbit

I've read this book through ands through, and still haven't bought it yet =\ Hehe, I found it really well written and rather inspiring, but I think most of Paolini's ideas were stolen obviously, hehe.

Iboen

Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,

Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,

One for the Dark Lord on his throne
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie.

One Ring to rule them all, One ring to find them,

One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,

In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Iboen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 11:21 PM   #7
Cantaloupe
Sapling

I agree with Iboen, much of Eragon is stolen. I found it slightly annoying how similar is was to Tolkien *sage nod*
Cantaloupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:10 PM   #8
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Come now, is it even possible to write a fantasy story that is not like Tolkien's? Though certainly there are a few exceptions, very rarely have I seen it done. And there are definitely other stories out there that have stolen much more from Tolkien than this author did. Personally, I liked Eragon. Not... obsessively. But I did enjoy reading it.

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:07 PM   #9
Thraxon
Hobbit

for a firist book it did quite well i wonder if the movie will be that good
Thraxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:07 PM   #10
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemm*rë
Come now, is it even possible to write a fantasy story that is not like Tolkien's?
I believe they did a study on that El, and it was deemed to be physically impossible
Old 04-20-2005, 07:40 PM   #11
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Using swords and slaying monsters came before Tolkien.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:48 PM   #12
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Using swords and slaying monsters came before Tolkien.
Of course they did... as did most of the other stuff Tolkien used. And I never heard mythology and mideaval weaponry was copy-righted. And the rest, like languages and Hobbits, CP did not steal (meaning, he didn't use them... not Tolkien's languages, at least, and he didn't use anything remotely resembling Hobbits... and he did use his own creatures... like the Ra'zak.).

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."

Last edited by ethuiliel : 04-21-2005 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:34 PM   #13
Elenwen06
Sapling

I didn't like Eragon. It seemed like he "borrowed" too much from too many authors. I found elements of Tolkien, McCaffery, and many others within the volume. It frustrates me when people can't use their own imagination and have to fall back on others'. Sorry if you don't agree with me.

"This reminds me of the time Lady Galadriel gave me this stuff she called weed. I liked it. It reminded me of the first time I climbed a pine tree... naked!" --Legolas
Elenwen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 11:51 AM   #14
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenwen06
I didn't like Eragon. It seemed like he "borrowed" too much from too many authors. I found elements of Tolkien, McCaffery, and many others within the volume. It frustrates me when people can't use their own imagination and have to fall back on others'. Sorry if you don't agree with me.
How can you not use at least some elements of others' stories. It doesn't mean he "borrowed" them, just that they're similar. And he did use his own imagination, there are deffinely some creatures in those books that don't resemble anything else I've read (like the Ra'zak). And I've read both Eragon and a few Pern books, and I don't feel that the dragons and their riders are all that similar in the two. Give the man some credit.

I don't mean that Eragon is the best book ever written (that'd be LotR ) but I do think that CP has more imagination and is an over all better writer than you give him credit for.

Last edited by ethuiliel : 07-10-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:05 PM   #15
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

He was okay, it does seem like a lot was "borrowed"? from Tolkien (and others) but there was a lot that I didn't notice being too similar to anything else I've read either.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:42 PM   #16
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

I was reading an interview with the author of Eragon, and he said something that pretty much exactly explains my point of view on this issue... not just with Eragon but with pretty much every book people claim to be too much like another.

Quote:
Many people say Eragon copies from Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. What is your response?
Christopher Paolini: I read and enjoyed a lot of epic fantasy growing up and I wanted to write a story in that same genre. If I avoided elements common in those epics- elves, dragons, etc- I wouldn't be writing the kind of genre I wanted. It's what you do with those elements that makes or break the book.
Another fantasy author, Mercedes Lackey, who has written plenty of books, good books, wrote this in an essay on plagarism:
Quote:
People tend to use this term incorrectly all the time. In some very few legal cases, authors have proved in court that someone else plagiarized their work, by proving substantial portions of it were lifted, unchanged, from their own work. When most people refer to “plagiarizing” however, they are generally saying that someone used someone else’s ideas. Now, you will almost never hear a professional author accusing another of this. The reason is simple; first, you cannot put a patent or a copyright or a statement of ownership on an idea. Second, every professional writer knows that no two authors will take the same idea and do the same thing with it. And again, with the exception of a handful of legal cases and an incredibly original idea (and I can personally think of only one, Art Buchwald’s case against the producers of COMING TO AMERICA) it simply is wildly unlikely that any professional would bother with pilfering someone else’s work. Why should we? Ideas occur all the time to us. The trick is not in coming up with ideas, but with figuring out which are the most marketable.
She also ended with
Quote:
You can’t plagiarize ideas, only text. And a real, professional writer would throw themselves over a cliff before they did that—because the one thing we take pride in is our words. Our own voice. So to take someone else’s would mean we couldn’t come up with any of our own. Not a chance.
Will you argue with an accomplished author, saying that she has the wrong idea about the use of the ideas that she, and most other fantasy authors, use?

Last edited by ethuiliel : 08-25-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:12 AM   #17
Tree Dweller
Elven Warrior

Location: The bulls-eye for recent hurricanes, but I still love these white sands....nothing compares.
For those who have read it...

What do you guys think about me reading it to my 7 and 9 year old? They are very interested and heard that the movie was being made. I try to read the books to them before they see the movie, so we were considering it.
Do you think it is on their comprehension level?

-------------------------------------------
I always liked going South, somehow it feels like going downhill.
Treebeard

~*~Diary of a Beach Bum~*~
Tree Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:51 PM   #18
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

If you've read them LotR, it should be fine, but if you haven't and wouldn't read LotR to them I wouldn't read Eragon. The language is probably a little easier than LotR, but otherwise it's on a similar level.

Old 09-09-2005, 08:54 AM   #19
Tree Dweller
Elven Warrior

Location: The bulls-eye for recent hurricanes, but I still love these white sands....nothing compares.
Thanks for the advice, Ethuiliel!

I always liked going South, somehow it feels like going downhill.
Treebeard

~*~Diary of a Beach Bum~*~
Tree Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:03 PM   #20
luvEyowen
Hobbit

Eragon

Books! Anybody read Eragon?
luvEyowen is offline   Reply With Quote