Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-10-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
KNIGHTS - A Medieval Heroes

Prologue

Thousands of years ago when Mankind in the shape of Cro-Magnon was appearing in the World one can hardly believe that it was on the very verge of annihilation. The great reptiles that had left their mark on the face of world had been long gone. But a greater threat was soon to rear its hideous head.

Then out of the cold North came fearsome scaly beasts spreading destruction in the form of fire and ice. These were the precursors of the Fire and Ice Dragons.

Then as now a group of special men and women was called upon to stand between these reptiles and the destruction of Man.

These were the first Dragon-Warriors.

With ingenious methods and specially made weapons disaster was staved off and those reptiles retreated that were not killed.

Millenia passed and Mankind evolved. Dragon-Knights took the place of Dragon-Warriors. But no one really believed that the reptiles would return - so the stance and vigilance was relaxed. The weapons were put away down in the deep cellars of the castles and special skills were forgotten.

But then – rumours began to spread – of fearsome scaly beasts spreading death and destruction across the northern world – but yet no one really paid them any heed.

TIME: AD 1139

PLACE: ENGLAND

SITUATION:

THE WORLD OF THE MIDDLE AGES IS ABOUT TO THROWN INTO A CRISIS OF MONUMENTAL PROPORTIONS

FEROCIOUS CREATURES CAME FROM THE VERY COLD OF THE NORTHERN REACHES. TWO SPECIES OF DRAGONS, THE FREEZERS AND THE FIREBREATHERS. OUT TO DO BATTLE FOR THE DOMINION OF THE WORLD

IN THE MIDDLE STANDS MAN, THOROUGHLY UNPREPARED FOR THE ONSLAUGHT TO COME.

PERSONIS DRAMATAE

PRINCE EDWARD (Weapon: Dragonarmour-piering Arrows and broadsword. Capable of jumping very high and very far)

LADY ADRIANA (Weapon: Explosive sling-shot. Capable of running very fast)

SIR CHRISTOPHER (Weapons: Dragonarmour-piercing lances and daggers. Capable of going invisible)

LADY ELANORE (Weapon: Explosive Bolas. Capable of telekinesis)

PRINCESS EDWINA (Weapon: Armourpiercing bolts for her crossbow. Invulnerability)

PRINCE DARION (Weapon: Armourpierecing spears. Capable of teleporting himself)

PRINCESS CELIA (Weapon: Armourpiercing daggers. Precognitive ability)

VINCENT LA FONTAINE, SORCERER (Inventor and magician)

PORTMAN WOODS, SQUIRE (Weapons: armour-piercing sword and daggers. Firestarter)

TOM BAWDER, SQUIRE (Weapons: armour-piercing sword and daggers. Freezer)

SISTER MARIANA, NUN (Weapons: armour-piercing daggers. Stormbringer)

THESE SPECIAL PEOPLE WITH THEIR SPECIAL ABILITIES IS ALL THAT STANDS BETWEEN MAN AND TOTAL ANNIHILATION.

ERIC TROTTER, FARMER
DIANA TROTTER, HIS OLDEST DAUGHTER
DAISY TROTTER, HIS YOUNGEST DAUGHTER
DEAN TROTTER, HIS SON

MASON GRINDSHAW, INNKEEPER
CATHERINE GRINDSHAW, HIS WIFE
MARTIN GRINDSHAW, THE SON
MADELEINE GRINDSHAW, THE DAUGHTER

DRAGONS

LEADERS OF THE FIRE DRAGONS

Crannock - Head Dragon
Finared - His Sister

lower echelon: Kraag, Loke; Freya, Cravinna

LEADERS OF THE ICE DRAGONS

Erlamin - Head Dragon
Urgrilon - Her Brother

Lower echelon: Mar, Keela, Kior, Klaan

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 01-24-2008 at 06:23 AM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:08 AM   #2
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Chapter One

The Rumours

Maiden Castle, Dorchester

Prince Edward sat by his desk in his study reading a scroll.

The message was worrying. His relative, Sir Christopher, had through his sent out spies gathered information about an incursion on the north-west coast.

The rumours told of two huge scaly beasts caught in deadly combat destroying a village and burning and freezing numerous farmers and their families.

Sir Christopher had never been one to be easily scared but this should perhaps be a matter for closer examination.

Edward pondered if he should send out a summons for a council. No, not yet, I will think on it some more, he thought.

Then he retired to his chambers.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Next morning, Prince Edward went to his study and sat down at his dest to draft a letter to calling all Dragon Knights to a Council. When he had finished them he called for a servent who came to fetch the letters.

Later a dozen couriers rode off to to the different Castles to deliver the summons.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 01-12-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
Mari
Elf Lady

Princess Celia was working in her herbgarden when a servant came to tell of the messenger that had arrived. Wondering what news the messenger had for her, she turned to the old gardener working opposite her. "Peter, I'm not sure if I can come back and help you with the last of the weeding. Don't be stubborn now and ask one of the servants to help you. You know your back isn't what is used to be anymore!" "Humpf, I've been doing this for a long time and taught you all you know. I won't let those witless servants of yours touch my gardens! Now shoo, don't let that messenger wait!" "Fine, fine. Have it your way! I'm off now."

Smiling Celia walked towards the great hall where the messenger was waiting for her. Upon entering the hall she saw a man in the livrage of Prince Edward.
Oh no, a message from Prince Edward? This must be important!
Hurriedly she went over to the man who handed her a letter from Prince Edward.

After reading it she turned to the fire, staring it for a good 5 minutes before turning around and ordering the servants to make preparations for a long journey.
After that she went to speak with her steward about maintaining the properties until she came back home, then went upstairs to say goodbye to her father.
She was to be away for an unknown period of time...

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:02 AM   #5
orithil
Captain Jack

Vincent coughed as an explosion rattled the high tower and black smoke began to billow out of the open window. Over the noise he began to hear more loud knocking. "Hello! Is anyone there?" a voice called over the noise. "Yes, yes, come in" replied Vincent. A messenger stepped through the smoke and Vincent stood up as he noticed the messenger wore the colours of Prince Edward. "So the great Prince Edward is in need of my aid, eh? Well, what can I do for him on a fine day such as this?" He gestured out the window.
"My lord Edward..." stammered the messenger.
"Yes I know, he wishes to see me etc etc, end of the world maybe? Who knows?" Vincent interupted. He took the letter and his eyes widened as he read it. The messenger left as Vincent looked around the room, picked up his staff and took a deep breath, then coughed once again as he breathed in more smoke.

OOC:If you wanted to introduce Vincent La Fontaine in a different way just say GW

Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.

Last edited by orithil : 01-13-2008 at 02:33 AM.
orithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Several days later the Dragon-Knights arrived at Maiden Castle.

Stableboys took care of the horses and while young maidens and manservants led the visitors to their chambers.

Sister Mariana immediately enters the chapel to pray.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 01-14-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Soft was the tread of the solitary figure in the chapel. She walked near-silent to the altar, knelt and crossed herself. Rosary beads clacked softly on the stone floor as she lowered herself. Her sable habit fell around her knees in coarse folds. Sister Mariana began to pray.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #8
Mari
Elf Lady

"Mariana! I thought I'd find you here! Oh, I'm so sorry, were you praying?" Slightly embarassed about disturbing Marianne in prayer, Celia came to a halt. "I'm sorry to have disturbed you Mariana, but it's been a long time since we last met. I guess I may have been a bit overexcited. So what do you think Prince Edward has to tell us? I have not had clear visions, but perhaps He has confided in you?"

Last edited by Mari : 01-17-2008 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:39 PM   #9
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

"Edwina!" the older woman called. "Where have you been!? Your father has been looking all over for you!" Edwina let her old nurse fuss. Her mother had died some years ago while Edwina was still a young girl. The nurse had become her mother figure.
"Out on the stag hunt. Did father not receive my message?"
"No he didn't. The stag hunt! Edwina, the stag hunt is too dangerous for a Princess! You have a messenger waiting for you. And here you are dressed as a man!" Edwina stopped and turned to the nurse.
"A messenger! Where?"
"Awaiting you in the throne room," Edwina turned and ran toward the throne room, much to the nurse's protest of Princesses shouldn't run about the castle like an urchin thief.

In the throne room, she saw the messenger. Edwina frowned. Prince Edward needed her help. He wouldn't send a messenger otherwise.
"Princess Edwina?"
"Yes, forgive my appearance. I am newly come from the stag hunt," the messenger nodded. She read the message, and then nodded.
"I will be there," Then she turned to find her father.

Later, as she saddled her horse for the journey, the young squire who seemed to follow her every move helped her prepare for her journey. As she mounted, he still held her reins.
"You can let go of the reins, Squire,"
"Could I accompany you on you journey, Princess," Edwina thought a moment. What could it hurt?
"Yes, I see no harm in it," He mounted quickly.
"The name's Tom Bawder,"

It took a few days, before Edwina and Tom reached Maiden Castle. Edwina had deliberately chosen to wear her hunting clothes, skirts would only slow her down. The Princess looked over the fields laying about the castle from the window of her chambers. Edwina's clothing was grey, her crossbow hung on her back. The quiver of bolts hung at her waist, along with a hunting knife. She didn't know why Edward had summoned them, but she was sure it wasn't for a pleasurable visit.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Mariana turned, a little startled. Celia stood there before her, peppering her with questions. Nothing had changed from the days so long ago--Celia was the same. Mariana felt a smile creep over her face. "Celia," she greeted the other woman, rising to her feet. She crossed herself ere turning away from the altar. "Come, let us speak some other place."
The two left the chapel to its silence once more. "It is good to see you again," Mariana said, once the quietness had been left behind. They stood now in a wide hallway. Mariana looked Celia over. She had changed a little, but, as she had thought before, not much. Mariana smiled again, and finally addressed the Princess's queries. "I have heard nothing from Prince Charles in about as many years as I have not seen yourself. The only thing I have received was a cryptic message sent to the hermitage... It only summoned me, but nothing more."

Old 01-17-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
Mari
Elf Lady

"Oh, I see. Well, I guess I'll just have to patient then, won't I?"
Smiling she turned away from the window to face Mariana. The robes were a change, but otherwise Mariana looked as before.
"Shall we go out and see who else has arrived? And off course we have to catch up on so many things! Why don't we take a walk in the gardens? Edward will know where to look for me if he is ready to start the meeting."

Old 01-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

As the visitors made themselves at home, Edward was preparing his notes for the Council.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #13
orithil
Captain Jack

Vincent La Fontaine stormed through the castle until he found a guard "You! take me to Edward ten minutes ago!" the soldier stammered "Wha..wha...what sir thats impossible I dont have a time machine" Vincent sighed "Just take me to him..." the guard saluted and took off at a fast walk "Sir, yes sir" he said

Old 01-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #14
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

After a while, Vincent entered the Main Hall where he found Edward sitting at the head of a long table.

"Greetings, Vincent! Good to see you again after all these years, although it would have been nicer if the circumstances were not so grim." Edward said.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #15
orithil
Captain Jack

"The news sounded very grim indeed" Vincent's facial features were like rock "shall we wait for the others?"

Old 01-18-2008, 04:38 AM   #16
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

"Indeed, my friend. Let's do so." Edward said, and Vincent got seated at the place next to him. They had a long talk while awaiting the arrival of the other Dragon Knights.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:04 PM   #17
orithil
Captain Jack

"There has been another attack, from a small group of rebels on one of the border towns" Vincent said "I believe we should send another garrison there..." Vincent sighed "Between the dragons and rebels this is to much for us to handle"

Old 01-20-2008, 05:15 AM   #18
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

"Indeed, my friend." Edward agreed."Ill see to it first thing in morning. These rebels have always been trouble and now with imminent threat of the Dragon Wars erupting again we need to see to them first."
Old 01-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #19
orithil
Captain Jack

Crannock roared and all around him for miles he could hear the replies of the army of fire dragons preparing for war "We shall burn the ice dragons until they lay dead every last one of them!!" He roared again "come rally to me let us prepare for war and slaughter them, kill them, destroy there homes and familys and leave them begging for mercy!!" Crannock gave the equivalent of a smirk and then added "but they shall recieve none..." He smirked again and rose into the air.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #20
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

A servant appeared, approaching Mariana and Celia. His feet made little noise. "Your pardon, ladies," said he. "Your presence is requested by Prince Edward in the Main Hall. If you will follow me..." He gestured away, down the hallway.
Mariana turned to Celia. "Now we shall find some answers to those questions, my old friend." And they followed the servant.