Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books > LOTR Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2006, 02:25 AM   #1
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Chapter VIII and IX: The Scouring of the Shire and The Grey Havens

Part I - Overview and Summary of The Scouring of the Shire

Overview

In the last two chapters of The Lord of the Rings, we are treated to a surprise. The two chapters are a nearly a stand-alone story in themselves, with the action building to a climatic finish “The Scouring of the Shire”, and being resolved in “The Grey Havens”.

The final two chapters of The Lord of the Rings chronicle events that take place in the Shire, and are entirely resolved by Hobbits. These chapters allow us to truly appreciate the consequences and changes wrought by the Hobbits’ adventures, and brings the focus of the books back to their original subject: the adventures of Hobbits of the Shire overcoming the One Ring of Sauron.

The Scouring of the Shire

The Scouring returns us to the adventures of the four Hobbits, the original members of the Fellowship, who come to be known throughout the Shire as the Travelers.

They arrive at the Shire to find that no one is allowed in after dark. While they have no trouble getting inside anyway, they are concerned to find a great deal of rules have been made by a mysterious Chief, about food, beer, smoking, campfires, lodging, and many other things Hobbits regularly enjoy.

The Travelers proceed to break a number of these rules by making a nice fire, sharing their rations with the guards, and spending the night in the gatehouse.

Bill Ferny is among the gatekeepers. Merry tells him to give him the gate key, which he throws at Merry’s head as he runs off. But Bill (the pony) has the last word, letting fly a hoof that sends Bill (the ruffian) into the ditch.

The next day, they head straight for Hobbiton, but are waylaid by Shirrifs at Frogmorton. They are “arrested” for their bout of rule-breaking the previous night. Sam helpfully expands the chief Shirrif’s list of charges:

“I can add some more if you’d like it,” said Sam. Calling your Chief Names, Wishing to punch his Pimply face, and Thinking you Shirrifs look a lot of Tom-fools.” (p. 247)

Sam questions Robin Smallburrow, one of the Shirrifs and an acquaintance of Sam’s, about the closure of the inn the Floating Log. Robin tells him that all the Shire’s inns are closed, as the Chief’s ruffians keep all the beer for themselves. Robin, the first to do so to the Travelers, suggests that there could be an uprising against the ruffians.

“If I hear not allowed much oftener,” said Sam, “I am going to get angry.”
“Can’t say as I’d be sorry to see it,” said Robin, lowering his voice. “If we all got angry together, something might be done.” (p. 248)

The footsore Shirrifs are eventually forced to allow the mounted Travelers to ride on.

At Bywater, Frodo and Sam are deeply shocked and saddened to find their own country so changed. Many houses they knew are gone, ugly houses replace trees, and a polluting smokestack rises in the distance.

The Green Dragon is closed, and surrounded by ruffians who, as Merry observes, have the look of the men of Isengard. From the ruffians, they learn that it is not Lotto but “Sharkey” who is the real Chief at Bag End.

Pippin, backed up by Merry and Sam, scares the ruffians away, who retreat blowing horns of warning. The Travelers raise Bywater, gathering stout lads from the area, armed with various farm implements, and they go to Farmer Cotton’s to make plans.

Pippin leaves to gather an army of Tooks, and those who remain prepare to meet any retaliatory bands of ruffians. They lay an ambush on the road, and soon a band of thugs is marching towards them. Due to their arrogance, the ruffian’s leader is slain and only a few escape imprisonment.

Merry realises the escaped ruffians will warn their fellows, who will surely bring a proper army. The Hobbits set watches around the village and prepare for battle.

Sam leaves to bring his Gaffer to the Cottons, and Farmer Cotton updates the Travelers on what has been happening in the Shire. He also knows the positioning of the ruffians well, and estimates that their reinforcements would have to come from Waymeet, fifteen miles each direction.

Pippin returns with the Tooks, and Merry sets another trap for the ruffians who are burning the countryside as they march toward Bywater. This group is larger, and serious about crushing the rebellion, but they nevertheless do not fail to walk straight in to Merry’s trap.

Some thugs try to escape the barriers, and the Battle of Bywater begins. The ruffians are soundly defeated but nineteen hobbits are slain. Frodo’s chief part in the battle was to prevent hobbits from killing opponents who have surrendered. After resting, the Travelers with their army go to Bag End to deal with the Chief.

Bag End is in complete disrepair, and a very sad sight to Frodo and Sam. They search for Lotho, only to be greeted by Saruman, who they realise is Sharkey.

Saruman is quite bitter about the loss of Isengard, and has obviously forgotten about his own part in his home’s destruction. He came to the Shire to repay the Hobbits for his loss.

Realising he is the mysterious Chief, the Hobbit army wants to kill Saruman on the spot. Saruman cows them with his Voice, and the Hobbits recoil, but Frodo is undaunted. Still, he does not want Saruman slain, and tells him instead to leave the Shire immediately.

He calls Wormtongue and turns to leave, but as he passes Frodo, he tries to stab him! Frodo’s mithril coat turns Saruman’s dagger, and Sam and a dozen hobbits throw him to the ground. Frodo will still not let the angry hobbits kill their former oppressor.

“No Sam!” said Frodo. “Do not kill him even now. For he has not hurt me. And in any case I do not wish him to be slain in this evil mood. He was great once, of a noble kind that we should not dare to raise our hands against. He is fallen, and his cure is beyond us; but I would still spare him in the hope that he might find it.” (p.263-4)

Saruman is bitter at Frodo’s mercy, and prepares to leave with Wormtongue. Frodo offers Wormtongue the chance to say, and Saruman laughs. Wormtongue, he says, has murdered Lotho. He kicks Wormtongue and tells him to follow, but Wormtongue leaps on him and cuts Saruman’s throat before anyone can stop him. He is shot by the Hobbits as he tries to escape.

Saruman’s body ages rapidly and disintegrates into smoke.

Frodo is never thought the final battle would be on his own doorstep.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote