Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books > LOTR Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2004, 07:38 AM   #1
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Strider The Lord of the Rings Discussion: Chapters 9 and 10

I’m sorry for the delay of this introduction. I’ve finally left it in a short summary of the two chapters and some points of discussion. Here it is:

At the Sign of the Prancing Pony and Strider

After a description of Bree and the region around it, and a small introduction to its history and culture –the only region where men and hobbits live together- we see the four hobbits reaching the town after the Sun had gone to rest. There we will met Barliman Butterbur (I wonder where did Tolkien come with that name) and et to know the “multicultural” nature of Bree: travelling Dwarfs, Southerners, the regular company of local men and hobbits... and even a Ranger

We soon see once again the wonderous ability of hobbits to forget pains and perils as soon as they have conveniently had supper and some mugs of ood beer. Here it is my favourite song of all LOTR: There is an Inn (there is an excellent version of this song by The Tolkien Ensemble that I think makes it justice. The authors used to let this song be free for download as a sample of their work. If any of you find a link to it, please post it for the benefit of everybody )

While we're being introduced in the mistery of Strider, he will introduce us a little further into the mistery of the Black Riders and Merry will help to this purpose too, though of course unintentionally... Chapter 10th ends in the same night in which the 9th began, expecting and inminent attack of the riders.

Points for discussion:
1. Little and Big Folk. Did Tolkien want a scenary to pass definetely from the hobbits world to the large darker outside world? These chapters end in a very dark tone that will only increase in the following. Problems in the South, odd Rangers, very close Black Riders... This is not the Shire and I cannot help wondering how could hobbits live in such a world, so...
2. Wouldn’t the contact with men corrupt the nature of hobbits? Or rather how on earth would excellent hobbits (like Nob) stand the company of so many men... Well, good beer may be a good reason
3. It’s a little silliness, but where is Bob? I always wonder if he’s a hobbit or a man. I tend to think he's a hobbit, but is lazyness for work also in the nature of hobbits?
4. What was your first impression of the Rangers, if you can remember it? Adventurers, rascals...
5. In the unfortunate episode of the jump over the moon, where did the ring began to act and how? Could it extend its influence even to Pippin’s unconsciousness to begin to tell Bilbo’s dissapearance, could it even make Strider be overzelous and give unnecessary advices, could it make Frodo phisical,ly fall from the table...? or were all these only unfortunate casualities?
6. The Black Breath. Does it changes our perception of the Black Riders? Are they more terrible now that we know how they attack?... or less terrible because Merry survives the attack? Hehe, if the witch king would know...
7. These chapters are full of excellent quotes. I’ve selected one that tells much of Barliman’s personality and his excellent Inn:
Quote:
‘There's some mistake somewhere,' said Butterbur, shaking his head. There was too much of that Mr. Underhill to go vanishing into thin air; or into thick air, as is more likely in this room.'
Well, floor is opened again for discussion...

Last edited by Fat middle : 08-09-2004 at 11:07 AM. Reason: removing non working link
Fat middle is offline   Reply With Quote