Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books > LOTR Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-01-2007, 07:03 PM   #21
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmer
Denethor was not mad,
A matter of debate, I would say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The pyre of Denethor, RotK
The knowledge which he obtained was, doubtless, often of service to him; yet the vision of the great might of Mordor that was shown to him fed the despair of his heart until it overthrew his mind
Quote:
Denethor, as an experienced warrior, saw that the odds are not on Gondor’s side.
While what he saw was true, he failed to grasp the greater picture and thus was lead to taking wrong decisions. This is the way "the will of Sauron entered into Minas Tirith", as Gandalf said.
Quote:
Indeed, the victory on the Pelennor field was not a decisive event for Gondor
Hm, you mean it made no difference if the city was crushed or not in that attack?
Quote:
So, Denethor knew that Aragorn’s coming was invetable and such opposition, as he, wouldn’t be spared by the new ruler. Most probably he and others, who will support him, would be quietly eliminated, or sent as far away from the capital, as it possible, “rehabilitating the lost territory” (Letter #244)on the borders of ever hostile Harad in the “main eastward outposts” of the Ithilien, as it happened even with so loyal Faramir. Shortly, to stay in the places with a highest probability to get killed.
I disagree that Denethor knew about Aragorn coming with the ships - otherwise, he would not give this as a bad news to Gandalf, quite the contrary. Even more, it is stated in the book that the reason why he chose death was to evade being enslaved by Sauron. Concerning Faramir, it can be actually understood that he took command of the city while there were expeditions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter #244
But it was made clear that there was much fighting, and in the earlier years of A.'s reign expeditions against enemies in the East. The chief commanders, under the King, would be Faramir and Imrahil; and one of these would normally remain a military commander at home in the King's absence.
Quote:
Indeed, he is SURE that with Gandalf’s help the victory of Gondor is imminent , otherwise he would not be talking about living with honour abated under the ruling of " the last of a ragged house long bereft of dignity".
I disagree; that passage refers to Denethor recognizing Aragorn as being only of the line of Isildur:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The pyre of Denethor, RotK
I will not step down to be the dotard chamberlain of an upstart. Even were his claim proved to me, still he comes but of the line of Isildur. I will not bow to such a one, last of a ragged house long bereft of lordship and dignity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Those of the wizards who failed are not even allowed to return back home!
I disagree with the use of plural... we do not know what happened to the other Istari.
Quote:
Gandalf saw it by himself when he was killed by the Barlog. He was kicked back to ME in no time.
Then again, his return had nothing to do with the valar not permitting him to return home:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter #156
He was sent by a mere prudent plan of the angelic Valar or governors; but Authority had taken up this plan and enlarged it, at the moment of its failure. 'Naked I was sent back – for a brief time, until my task is done'. Sent back by whom, and whence? Not by the 'gods' whose business is only with this embodied world and its time; for he passed 'out of thought and time'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniel
So I doubt Gondoreans, as a rule, attempted to find a cure for old age.
Well, Tolkien tells us that, at least, they had the urge to do so:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter #156
[They] established a kind of diminished memory of Numenor in Exile on the coasts of Middle-earth – inheriting the hatred of Sauron, the friendship of the Elves, the knowledge of the True God, and (less happily) the yearning for longevity, and the habit of embalming and the building of splendid tombs – their only 'hallows': or almost so.
Quote:
I'd say it depends. The line of Stewards ruled with all the powers of a king, except in the actual title of king. It suited them fine. I think the main reason why no steward could ever be king in a thousand years was mainly because of the beliefs of the people who would still prefer a king above anyone else. "To rule until the return of the King" may have been an empty phrase for the ruling stewards, but quite possibly they feared the common people would put more belief in it.
I agree. It may also be that the stewards (or, more to the point, Denethor) were somehow 'deceiving' themselves, with respecting the old laws, by upholding such a tradition. It appeased their conscience .
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:06 PM   #22
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Hm... sorry for the double posting - for some reason, my post did not show for me.

Last edited by Landroval : 12-01-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote