Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-15-2002, 09:19 PM   #61
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Would you recomend it?
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 02:00 PM   #62
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I'm not going to tell whether Rincewind is in it or not, you'll have to read. I would certainly recomend it, TwirlingString, I'm doing it right now I think. To me Small Gods is one of the best Disc World novels. It deals with religion in such a inventive and original way.
Old 04-16-2002, 03:18 PM   #63
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Okay, I'll add it to my list, if you really think it's good.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 04-16-2002, 03:43 PM   #64
Earniel

Wow! My world is shaking! Someone is trusting my judgement! Oh that I was allowed to live and see this day...

Well I do think it's good. I hope you enjoy it.
Old 04-16-2002, 03:47 PM   #65
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Wow! My world is shaking! Someone is trusting my judgement! Oh that I was allowed to live and see this day...

Well I do think it's good. I hope you enjoy it.
People don't usually trust your judgement? Can you recomend any more of his books? They don't have to be Discworld.

Old 04-17-2002, 02:03 PM   #66
Earniel

It was a joke, some friends do trust my judgement but it just don't seem to work for them.

Another good one from Disc Worldserie is 'Reaper man', featuring off course the Grim Reaper (and the Grim Squeaker)

For his non-Disc World books I particularly like is 'the Carpetpeople'. I hardly dared to step on a carpet after I read that one.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:06 PM   #67
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Ooohhhhhhhh Je t'aime. I love the Grim Squeker. I don't suppose his granddaughter is there?

Old 04-17-2002, 02:08 PM   #68
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

nah. Susan unfortunately does not make an appearance but if your looking for her then i strongly reccomend Hogfather and Soul Music.

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 02:13 PM   #69
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Shoot, I love her oh well. I've read them both and wish there were more. She makes an excellent teacher. I wish she were MINE.

Old 04-17-2002, 02:39 PM   #70
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

I would personally like her hair.

Old 04-17-2002, 11:44 PM   #71
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

You have a point, but I'd rather be able to influence people into doing what I want and to walk through walls plus be able to go wherever I want in a matter of minutes.

Old 04-21-2002, 04:37 PM   #72
TinuvielChild
Padawan

i. love. Discworld. 'nuff said.

yes, TwirlingString, you may borrow Small Gods (which features yet another version of CMOT Dibbler)(and is very very cool) on Tuesday. i love Susan. i originally read Good Omens and loved it, started reading Discworld. oh! something really funny and kinda annoying: i once took a Discworld quiz online and one of the questions was from The Truth, like "Which of the following does Mr. Pin snort?" and they gave 4 multiple guess answers. now the correct answer is "none, Mr. Pin doesn't snort anything. Mr. Tulip, on the other hand...". i thought that was hilarious! i thought something along the lines of "this is a Terry Pratchett website, you could at least have the decency to get the characters right!"

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 04:39 PM   #73
TinuvielChild
Padawan

whoo. that was a long post. now to get back on topic. the only thing about Susan that i wouldn't want is the fact that she has to take over every time Death decides to go off and get drunk or play Hogfather. *shrugs* other than that, i think it would also be fun to have her as a teacher. my faves are Susan, Granny Weatherwax, and Rincewind. also City Watch, Vimes is so funny! what the heck, i love them all especially well! that sentence didn't make sense. i'm rambling, so i'm going to shut up now...

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 01:54 PM   #74
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

PLease can someone tell me the official terry p website????!!!!

In case anyone lives near milton Keynes:

Book signing of the truth, 3rd May
New bookshop in new part of shopping center.

Old 04-25-2002, 03:34 PM   #75
Earniel

sure, fine, rub it in

fne....
Old 04-25-2002, 04:50 PM   #76
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Beleive me i am not rubbing it in as I myself can now not go. Unless I skive off school for it but i dont think i could actually get to milton keynes on my own. plus i'm scared.

why is it on a FRIDAY? A FRIDAY for heavens sake! does he not have to work... oh hang on. Stupid rich man. oh dear goodness! what have i said.

I love you terr p, i didnt mean it, i didnt!

Anyway earnel, your'e the one gets the beautiful country with the yummy chocolates.

Old 04-25-2002, 04:54 PM   #77
Earniel

Beautiful is a bit far fetched as Belgium is a small country and quite crowded. But we have very good chocolate. You're right in that part. I think I'm gonna get me some. *gives StrawberryIcy a virtual belgian chocolate bar*
Old 04-27-2002, 07:57 PM   #78
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Who's your fav. character?

Old 04-28-2002, 06:53 AM   #79
Earniel

DEATH or maybe Rinzwind
Old 04-28-2002, 12:12 PM   #80
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Beautiful is a bit far fetched as Belgium is a small country and quite crowded. But we have very good chocolate. You're right in that part. I think I'm gonna get me some. *gives StrawberryIcy a virtual belgian chocolate bar*

oooooooooooooh. yummy! thankyou!!!!

fave char: death, susan