Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-11-2001, 06:34 PM   #1
Gimly
Enting

Terry Pratchett

He's humorious! I have read some of his DiskWorld book, and I reccomend them to everyone!
Maybe it's not serious, but it's fun, AND has a whole new look on all of the fantasy features, especially the Magic.
Old 12-13-2001, 07:03 PM   #2
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Yay! Another Discworld fan!
And doesn't reading LOTR help you to understand more of the jokes?

But really, the guy makes fun of everything, fantasy, sci-fi, pop culture, folk tales and superstitions, modern science...everything. I found one of these books in my high school library (it was Small Gods) and I had never read anything so funny. I had to go out and find all the other ones.
I second Gimly's recommendation. Go read his books!
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 04:44 PM   #3
Thorongil
Hobbit

read Good Omens,, Basically a take off of every horror movie you ever saw ( sorry should have said Classic Horror) but mainly the Omen, Hysterically funny....

Weird thing, I never liked Rincewind, always preferring the City watch books but i just read the last continent, And Rincewind is a God.

(I think its the true history of Australia as well)
Thorongil men called him in Gondor,the Eagle of the star, for he waskeen eyed, and wore a silver star upon his cloak, but none knew his true name nor in what land he was born.He came to Ecthelion from Rohan, where he had served King Thengel, but he was not one of the Rohirrim. He was a great leader of men, by land or sea,but departed into the shadows whence he came, before the days of Ecthelion were ended.
Thorongil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 04:41 AM   #4
Legolas
Elven Warrior

GREAT BOOKS!!!
Read only 2 of them - "Colour of magic" and "The light fantastic" in Lithuanian. And seen "Jingo" in English. How many other books are there?
Old 01-04-2002, 07:17 AM   #5
Gimly
Enting

You can find the list of all the books written by him:

Here

Last edited by Gimly : 01-04-2002 at 07:22 AM.
Gimly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 07:24 AM   #6
Thorongil
Hobbit

here you are

The discworld series:
The colour of Magic
The light Fantastic
Equal Rites
Mort
Sourcery
Wyrd sisters
Pyramids
Guards Guards
Eric
Moving Pictures
Reaper Man
Witches Abroad
Small Gods
Lords and Ladies
Men at Arms
Soul Music
Interesting Times
Maskerade
Feet of Clay
Hogfather
Jingo
The Last Continent
Carpe Jugulum
The Fifth Elephant
The Truth
The Thief Of time

+ various maps and graphic novels and plays and even cookbooks

Other books include:
Diggers, Truckers , Wings. (Separate books)
the carpet people
only you can save mankind
Johnny and the Dead
Johnny and the Bomb
The amazing Maurice and his educated Rodents
Good Omens (With Niel Gaiman)
Strata
Dark side of the Sun
The Unadulterated cat (with Gray Jolliffe
And.....
The Pratchet Portfolio (With Paul Kidby)

So Get reading

Looks like Me and Gimly had the same Idea, just his was better
Thorongil men called him in Gondor,the Eagle of the star, for he waskeen eyed, and wore a silver star upon his cloak, but none knew his true name nor in what land he was born.He came to Ecthelion from Rohan, where he had served King Thengel, but he was not one of the Rohirrim. He was a great leader of men, by land or sea,but departed into the shadows whence he came, before the days of Ecthelion were ended.

Last edited by Thorongil : 01-04-2002 at 07:26 AM.
Thorongil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 07:39 AM   #7
Legolas
Elven Warrior

So I've read two first books. I think none more are available in Lithuanian. I guess I'll just wait.
But really, great books are they, and they should be read.
Old 01-05-2002, 02:01 AM   #8
Gimly
Enting

Hmmm... Legolas. Athough you are now two separated and not-connected countries, I want to ask - do you know Russian, and do they sell Russian books there? If yes, then I can say that there are several more books by him in russian
Old 01-05-2002, 07:06 AM   #9
Legolas
Elven Warrior

Gimly, there are many Russian books here in Lithuania. BUT, I don't speak Russian (I chose German at school). Sometimes it's a pity.
Old 01-09-2002, 05:04 PM   #10
EdBlackadder
Hobbit

Terry Prachett is a comic genius! Where do you think my signature comes from???

Last edited by EdBlackadder : 01-09-2002 at 05:06 PM.
EdBlackadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 11:40 AM   #11
andustar
Elven Warrior

He rules. IMO tho the Rincewind ones are the worst (theyre not bad, but IMO they don't compare) the best: City Watch and Death books. Then the others.

Go here now. I meant that. Select a book you read, hopefully not a Rincewind one. If you can, have it next to you. Then read that stuff. Did you know half of that stuff? I certainly didn't.

look over the rest of the site if you have the time, but be warned, I at least can spend hours there.

As of last week, I've read all his discworld ones (and some others, not that many tho). I'm so proud. Now I have to buy them all, dammit. reading them twice just isn't enough for most of them. Some of the stuff he says... isn't so very "light", but he manages to say it in such funny, witty ways... damn how can anyone be that good? read his latest ones if you can find them. IMO anyway they are the best he's done.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:23 PM   #12
Nenya
Hobbit

Terry Pratchett is indeed a God, although not quite on the scale of tolkien. I love Good Omens. Has anyone read Neverwhere.? It is by Neil Gaiman, the co-writer of Good Omens. I thought it was weird at first, but I have read it a couple of times now, and it is well worth it, I definitely recommend it (although it helps to have some knowledge of he London Underground). It also gives you an insight into which of them created which characters in Good Omens, which puts a bit of an interesting slant on it...
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 09:30 AM   #13
andustar
Elven Warrior

A friend of mine says she will lend me it but never gets round to actually bringing it

I live in London and use the Underground so that's OK
Old 01-14-2002, 10:56 AM   #14
Gimly
Enting

hooray!!!

I have just found Equal Rites!!!
Old 01-17-2002, 04:55 PM   #15
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Ah Pratchett's Disc world, the only fantasy I know that can make you laugh your head off and at the same time glue you to the book because of the drama. Disc world is such a varied world, it has so much references to the real world, but they have that brilliant insane twist. Small gods my favorite. I would suggest reading them in English, I've read some in Dutch but the most of them in English,so I could compare. You get more puns in English, a lot is lost in translations.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 10:58 AM   #16
Talera
Sapling

Terry Pratchet rocks I have to say! I've only read the first 4 books so far and I'm about 3/4 of the way through Sourcery but they are so good! Hilariously funny in some parts!

I completely agree with you andustar. Rincewind is highly annoying but he is beginning to grow on me a bit. My favourite character is definitely Death. He's supposed to be this really scary guy but the way he acts is just the complete opposite. If I ever met him I think I'd laugh rather than die!
Talera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 03:38 AM   #17
mirrille
Elven Warrior

If you like the first few books, then you will be really liking the series. I think they get better as the series goes on. When I read them, I started in the middle and worked my way out to both ends (library availability, you see. ) I sort of felt like the first couple books was where he was still working out what the series should be like. The disadvantage is that the style is the same through all the books, so later on, you start feeling like it's variations on the same old ideas. But even so, they are still so funny!
enjoy!
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 08:08 PM   #18
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

Interesting Times is my fav! although haven't read many. i'm still comig out of the Lackey phase
Old 02-01-2002, 04:33 PM   #19
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Terry P rules!

Hi I'm new here!
I am a HUGE fan of Terry!

That person who made the list? U missed out The Last Hero.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 09:45 PM   #20
Acacia
Hobbit

Oooh! Oooh! PTerry!

I adore the man. I worship him. I've read the pages out of several of my copies of his books.

Get the impression I like the Discworld?

On one forum I've been to (since closed down), I used Diamanda for a username. (If you don't know who she is, read Lords and Ladies. Elves make astonishingly good villains. Lots of less frightening bad guys tend to be ugly, but the Queen sent shivers up my spine.)

Have you people noticed how everything on the Disc seems reversed? The servant girl doesn't want to marry the prince, neither of the mysterious returned heirs (Tomjon and Carrot) wants to be king, the elves are the bad guys, trolls and werewolves and vampires and suchlike can really be quite nice people (if not all of them), and so on and so forth.

And who could forget Death tapdancing in Wyrd Sisters? Or Granny's Dwarfish name?

Do not meddle in the affairs of slashers, for we have no shame, and you would look good with other (wo)men.

Interesting And Vaguely Relevant Statistic: In the next seven days, 800 Americans will be injured by their jewellery.
Acacia is offline   Reply With Quote