Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-14-2003, 04:11 PM   #21
Diaxion
Elven Warrior

Sometimes I wish i could play the games and go to battle school like Ender.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:15 PM   #22
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I just started to read Enchanted, and it's very good so far. A very nice blend of myth with today's world. I will definately be reading more of his books.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:40 PM   #23
Jinnigan
Hobbit

Enchanted is very good, but also very different from Ender's Game.

Anyone read his 'thrillers'? You know... Homebody, uh... Lost Boys... hmm... yeah. Those?
Old 08-28-2003, 06:54 PM   #24
Elf Girl
Lurker

Ooh, I'm reading Shadow Puppets now. Very very good!
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 06:04 PM   #25
Elf Girl
Lurker

*sniff* Finished Shadow Puppets. Who else has read it?
Old 10-06-2003, 10:34 PM   #26
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I have just finished the Homecoming series and Speaker for the Dead. Speaker for the Dead is the best book that I've read in the last few years (apart from the LOTR). Homecoming was excellent, but I was slightly disapointed with book five and the ending. Expecially since there was only one original character left.

I'm reading every Orson Scott Card book I can get my hands on. Now I'm reading Ender's Shadow. Poor little Bean...
Old 10-07-2003, 03:14 PM   #27
Elf Girl
Lurker

Speaker for the Dead has sequels to. Xenocide and Children of the Mind.

(Sorry if you knew that. Just didn't want to deny you the joy of them if you didn't. )
Old 10-11-2003, 12:08 AM   #28
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

So far I've only read 'Enders game'. I really loved it. I'm going to read all the ender books when i have time...

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 11:13 AM   #29
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

speaker for the dead is my new favorite book. Enders Game is really good too, but i didnt like Enders Shadow...

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 09:56 PM   #30
johnnyrod
Elven Warrior

Am I the only person who thought Ender's Game was trite and predictable? Perhaps this was the first book from OSC and since then his style and skill has extended itself somewhat, but this book has been criticised for its lack of sufficient realism and rightly so IMHO, as in, regardless of the backdrop, are there a believable story and characters there? I'm not convinced, and this is where SF usually falls down.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:03 AM   #31
Elf Girl
Lurker

Ender's game is only the setup for Speaker for the Dead and its series. I would recommend you read those before criticizing
Old 12-10-2003, 09:15 PM   #32
peperheart
Sapling

Orson Scott Card

I loooooove "Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus"
Old 12-22-2003, 09:33 PM   #33
Scondren
Sapling

Ender's Game is a sweeet series.

I do have one complaint about the Bean series however: It makes Ender look like quite an idiot sometimes. He loses some of his...heroness? Coolness?
Old 12-29-2003, 11:31 AM   #34
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

I'm almost finished rereading Ender's Game, which is a great book. I read all of the "Shadow books" about Julian Delphikie (however you spell that, AKA, Bean), but I haven't read all of the Ender books, only Enders Game. I started reading the books last year when I was required to read Enders Game for school, and since Enders Shadow was a parralel novel, and I really liked Enders Game, I read that. Then I just followed into the Bean books. I really liked the last book, Shadow Puppets, about Bean and Petra, I just loved those parts, I didn't really cear to much about the world and everything that was happening with that, I just wanted to find out what was happening next in the Bean/Petra love story.

Is Orsan Scott Card planning to write anything else in the Bean series? I got a filling, for some reason, that he probally wouldn't, becasue of how the last book ended, but I still want to here about when Bean dies, the posability of him meating up with his family again, and Petra with the baby. I think that if he wrote another book, I would probally crie when Bean dies, I can just imagine him, a giant looking down at everyone, posabley holding his baby before he dies, eather still conserned about the other babys out there somewhere that don't know they're father and mother, or having the eggs securely safe in a hospital ones agian. Couldn't you imagine the baby? It would learn to walk at a much younger age then most kids, and would learn to talk at a younger age to. Petra, if she wasn't to busy somewhere else, then she would probally home school the baby so that it would be able to learn at it's own pase, instead of being bored during class at school while he should be doing Algebra 3 in second grade, and instead the teacher is teaching the students how to subtract 32 from 51 and multiply 1*3 and 2*3. The kid would be brilliant, a genouse. Petra seems like she would make such a great mom, in Enders Game, she seemed so tuff, but as a mom, she seems like there couldn't be anybody better then her. Anyways, I'm probally ramballing, and this should probally be made into a fan fic. thread, so i'll shut up now.

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 12:00 PM   #35
Elf Girl
Lurker

I think we won't hear more from Bean. OSC is never conclusive... *sigh*
Old 12-29-2003, 05:15 PM   #36
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
I think we won't hear more from Bean. OSC is never conclusive... *sigh*
I wish he was conclusive, I want to here more about Bean! *begins to cry* I might just have to write my own fan fic. ending to it! Anyone cear to joun me in a RPG? What forom would this go in? The RPG forom is for Lord of the Rings, would I pute it here? *looks confused but hopefull*

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 01:54 AM   #37
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Well, Shadow of the Giant is out know. More on Bean is available!

Orson Scott Card is my newest favorite author (out of many!). When I find an author I really like, I have to keep reading until I've consumed just about everything they ever wrote! With OSC, there's a lot to keep me going. So far (in the last month) I've read Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, Homecoming (Memory of Earth, Call of Earth, Ships of Earth, Earthfall, and Earthborn), Alvin Maker (Seventh Son, the Red Prophet, Prentice Alvin, Alvin Journeyman, Heartfire, and most of Crystal City), and Enchantment. I love them all, but my favorite is the Alvin Maker series. It's so original and full of ideas, and I like the historical aspects too.

Next in my list is Shadow of the Giant-- convenient that it came out just in time for me to read it! Orson Scott Card actually came to my school to sign copies, but I was sick so I didn't get to meet him. Oh, well. He comes every year!

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:39 PM   #38
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

omg Orson Scott Card come to your school??? thats so cool! im jealous
where do you live?
i mean that in a completely non-stalkerish way, lol

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 08:58 PM   #39
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

I go to Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, which is where OSC went.

Segovia Mazes
Old 06-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #40
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

And now I no longer go there, so I guess I've lost my chance to get his autograph. Oh, well.

I'm currently re-reading Shadow of the Hegemon, having recently re-read Ender's Game, its sequels, and Ender's Shadow. I've heard that OSC is planning/writing two more books in this series, one to tie up the loose ends with Peter and Petra on Earth, and one to continue after Children of the Mind, and have the characters on Lusitania confront the "descoladeros" or whatever-- the possibly sentient aliens that communicate (apparently) by biological signals and have interstellar capabilities. I most would like to see what happens to "old" Valentine after her exposure as Demosthenes.

I've also recently read Pastwatch: the Redemption of Christopher Colombus. In this book, far in the future, humanity has decimated the planet and is dying out from food shortage; it will take millions of years to replenish the resources, and by then humanity (or at least civilization) will be gone. So they develop the technology to send something, or someone, into the past, and decide the pivotal point in history is when Colombus "discovers" America. I found this fascinating, and if anyone else has read it, do you think we would be justified in changing the course of history to preserve humanity as a whole?

Segovia Mazes