Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-10-2001, 10:30 AM   #1
Tailin
Sapling

Orson Scott Card Books

If anyone wants to talk about one of the greatest writers ever, do it here! I've read the Ender Quartet, am reading The Shadow Trilogy, and the Alvin books, and have read the stand-alone Enchantment. All these books are good. Anyone want to talk?
Old 11-10-2001, 11:56 PM   #2
Grand Admiral Reese
Sapling

Card rules. Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow and Shadow of the Hegemon are great books.
Grand Admiral Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 05:57 AM   #3
Tailin
Sapling

hmmmmm......

Have you read Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide and Children of the Mind? They're all great, though a little different than Enders Game. If you haven't read them, do it. And while your at it, look for a book called The Seventh Son. That's great too.

On another notice, if anyone wants to check out Orson Scott Card books, go to www.hatrack.com
Old 11-13-2001, 11:01 PM   #4
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

I love the Ender series! I haven't read past "Xenocide" but I love all the ones I read. I think the first ones will always be my favorites. I just love the game! I want to play the game! But I'm sure I'd suck and be flashed right off the bat! Every time I read them I'm both jealous of Ender for getting to play the game, and furious with how unfair it all is to Ender.
But my favorite Orson Scott Card book has nothing to do with Ender. I love "Songmaster". Anyone read it?

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 11:21 PM   #5
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Yes, Songmaster was very good. The characters seemed very different from Card's previous ones.

Ender's Game was intense. I think it was powerful writing and will probably become a science fiction classic. I was not so captivated by the sequels.

I very much enjoyed the Postman short stories, but have not seen the movie.

Whoops, that wasn't Card was it! Was it David Brin?
(edited to acknowledge my mistake)

Last edited by cee2lee2 : 11-14-2001 at 11:23 PM.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 09:34 AM   #6
flya152
Sapling

I also think that CArd is a great writer. Has anyone read any of the "Bean" books??

Eric
flya152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 05:03 PM   #7
galadriel
Elven Warrior

I absolutely love Card's writing. I've read the Ender Quartet, Seventh Son, and The Memory of Earth. All of these were really great, although Ender's Game and its sequels are still my favorite.

I'm reading Ender's Shadow right now, a companion novel to Ender's Game that features Bean. It is, of course, incredibly good. It's really cool, because you get to see many of the events in Ender's Game from another point of view. Bean is a great character. I think I might even like him better than young Ender!

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 11:14 PM   #8
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

I've never read Ender's Shadow, but Ender's Game was my favorite, so I'm going to have to get a copy! I'd love to see it all through Bean's eyes!

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 04:39 PM   #9
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

I like Card, too. I haven't read any of the Ender books, but I have heard a lot about them. Maybe I'll check it out one of these days. I have read all of the Alvin Maker books to date, though, and I must say, they are really great. There is some thing nice in thinking about the America that could have been. It is a very creative idea and lots of fun to read.
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 10:31 AM   #10
Santee
Sapling

Card's books are for the most part pretty good. I liked Ender's game, but Xenocide, Children of the Mind, and Speaker for the Dead were a tad bit out there for my tastes. They tended to take me to far into the mind.

I did like the Shadow series so far though. Of the two books I have read that is. When is the next one due out...
Santee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 09:25 PM   #11
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn
The Elven Queen Of All Pyros

Location: Im like a little bug stuck in the lamp...never going anywhere
in TAG we read ender's game...i though it was VERY good, and i cant wait to read the rest....but my teacher is projecting this project to the max~!

Procrastinators Unite!!!.....tomorrrow....

Kids in backseats cause accidents...accidents in backseats cause kids

As long as there are tests..there will be prayers in school
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 06:20 PM   #12
Duddun
I Antha

I've been planning to read these, because I'll my friends are reading them. I have Ender's Game sitting on my shelf because I got it for Christmas but haven't had time to read it.
I'm Not Evil!
If the critics say it's good, is it really That good?
It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a balloon!
Duddun, Son of Bubbun
Duddun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 02:56 PM   #13
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Santee
Card's books are for the most part pretty good. I liked Ender's game, but Xenocide, Children of the Mind, and Speaker for the Dead were a tad bit out there for my tastes. They tended to take me to far into the mind.

I did like the Shadow series so far though. Of the two books I have read that is. When is the next one due out...
I've finished Ender's Shadow now, and read Shadow of the Hegemon. I really liked the first one, but Shadow of the Hegemon was slightly disappointing. The whole second half of the book dragged a bit, especially since the focus left Peter so much. However, since Shadow of the Hegemon and Shadow Puppets were supposed to be one book, I'm hoping for Card to redeem himself in the third book (which is already out; I'm just waiting for the paperback edition.)

It was still worth reading, however. The characters were great; I especially loved how Peter was portrayed.

dreamflower
Old 03-14-2003, 04:52 PM   #14
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

I have read Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, Speaker For The Dead, Xenocide, and Children Of The Mind.
Ender's Game is the best. I want to play the Game so bad sometimes, it's freaky! Peter is such a little ****! The Fantasy Game is wierd! I would probably be good at the Game, because reality is whatever I want it to be. Usually. There aren't any bugger-lovers in here, are there? 1st time I read Ender's Game, I dreamed that night about the Game. I've always dreamed about being weightless, but that was the ultimate! Ok, I've run off at the mouth long enough. Later......
Old 03-15-2003, 11:10 PM   #15
galadriel
Elven Warrior

It is one of those books that you can talk all day about, isn't it? I first read it when I was about nine and the fantasy game especially disturbed me to no end. It was just so bizarre....

dreamflower
Old 03-16-2003, 04:03 PM   #16
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

yeah........*looks thoughtful*
Old 05-07-2003, 03:28 PM   #17
LeniFreak
Hobbit

Location: In a small town in a small state in a...rather overlarge country
I read all four of the books about Ender and just finished "Ender's Shadow," and I love the books so much. Slight obsession case, actually. Has anyone here read "Pastwatch"? My friend Sarah made me promise not to read it until I'd read every other Orson Scott Card book I could get my hands on, she's that impressed with it. What I want to know is: is it THAT good, or should I just go ahead and read it? IT IS SITTING ON MY BOOKSHELF AND DRIVING ME NUTS.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:10 PM   #18
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Pastwatch is enormously impressive. Card's so good at making historical figures come alive, and the sci-fi aspect of it is really cool too.

I still like the Ender's Game series best, but I love (or at least strongly like) all of his books, so it's difficult to pick favorites.

dreamflower
Old 05-09-2003, 03:45 PM   #19
Elf Girl
Lurker

I read Ender's Game, and the Ender trilogy, (can't seem to think of them as a 'quartet') and just recently finished Ender's Shadow. Looking for Shadow of the Hegemon. My very very favorite science fiction. REALLY great books.

Estel13: You would want to play the Game?

...to each his own.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 08:58 PM   #20
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
Estel13: You would want to play the Game?

...to each his own.
Yes...And it's HER own, actually.