Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-30-2001, 06:32 PM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

morigu

Has any anyone read the Morigu books beside me?

They have really great Elves ( Tolkien influenced)

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 06:02 PM   #2
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Re:

I can’t say I have, who is the author and what is the book about?

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 12:49 AM   #3
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I like elves. Tell us more about these books.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 06:16 AM   #4
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

wow I had forgotten that I had written this post.

I think the books are out of print.

the 1st is called morigu: the desacration

the 2nd: morigu:the dead

here are some others opinions of the books

the very last one is from the author himself

I FIRST CAME ACCROSS THESE NOVELS IN THE EARLY 80'S, AND THEY BLEW ME AWAY. THE CHARACTERS SWEPT YOUR MIND INTO A RICH COLORFUL WORLD WHERE YOU COULD ALMOST HEAR THE BATTLES, SMELL THE WARS AND FEEL THE PAIN OF THE CURSED ELF

Sincere thanks. Morigu the Dead was a long awaited, by me at least, sequel to an excellent book. It is filled with brilliant imagery and gives a nod to many so called pagan beliefs, brought to life in fiction of course. Mr. Perry is an inventive author who should seriously consider finishing the series,

This is matched by his ability to create fantastic characters complete with human flaws and shortcomings (even the Gods in the story). The conflict within the Morigu; the nobility of Dammuth, the Dwarves, and Elves; the duplicity of Fealoth and Arianrood; and the might of the Demon Lords and Apkieran (who is wicked!) make for an amazing story. I would rank this up with the best of Feist and Eddings, despite the obscurity of the author. I only hope that all the raves and support on this website may somehow reach the author or publisher and convince him/them to finish the series.

The opening struggle between Dammuth and the forces of evil are as fine a bit of prose as has ever been written in the Fantasy genre. His storyline leaves plenty of doubt as to which side will be the eventual victor. As this is rarely done-- main characters never get whacked-- Perry's decision to quit early is all the more painful. Rarely is there as genuine a sense of suspense as to a conflict's outcome as with this unfinished tale.

Mark C Perry, despite reports to the contrary, is alive and well, having changed his name to Mark Leahy. He heard about our reviews and commentary and posted a reply at http://www.writerpunk.com/novels.html. The long and short of it is he is considering writing and publishing the remainder of the series (he is guessing 2 books) but asks us to keep saying nice things about him and his books to spur him along. All of I've got to say is HOORAY! I have loved his books from the opening pages and look forward to him writing and completing the series. I believe the Mark Perry who wrote to this page has info on a publisher interested in the book, please get that to Mr. Leahy if at all possible.

. Although both books are short in pages compare to the other series, his character development is complex and indepth. The story flows very smoothly and it does capture you to the point that you cannot stop reading.

Perry has written an excellent series. It has a wonderful story line and excellent characters. No one character is perfect. All have their fatal flaws. For example, Margawt may be driven to destroy the world because the ground itself is evil. Cucullin may be driven to his doom in his quest for revenge with Apkieren. This dark side of the characters is refreshing and it gets away from the typical fantasy hero. Although war is common in fantasy books, it is this type of war that is intriguing. A war fought to bring the beast back is a scary thought indeed. A criticism: Armies of Earth's middle ages never reached the size that they do in this book. It would be unbelievably difficult on logistics alone for an army to have 40,000 or more in it. But the armies here are sometimes larger. Also, the attempt at the feminist aspect with Tara Brightblade and Gwenyth is not needed. They are great characters but they dont have to feminist. When is the next book coming out? I've been searching for many years. Does anyone know??????

I have never read a series of fantasy books that is more realistic than what Perry has written.One man against a dragon-Who do you think wins?The total disregard he has for the "sacred" main characters and the way they are eliminated is very refreshing!!
When "The Desecration" came out, I immediately realized that it was the best book that I have read. Mark C. Perry is a great author who ranks up there with Robert Jordan, David Eddings and Raymond E. Feist. I was lucky and fortunate to get my hands on "The Dead", the second book in the series and it carried on the incredible characters , making us either love their heroics or despise their cowardliness. Who could fail to sympathize with the Morigu, or feel Mearead's pain at the death of Colin. The betrayal of Arianrood made me angry and bitter. The only thing that makes me more bitter is the lack of a conclusion or continuation to this great series. Mark C. Perry, I am begging you to continue this series or someone shed some light on your status. Are you dead, (I hope not) or are you unaware of what a great writer you are. Please, Please let us know.

It was so long ago that I read Morigu:The Dead that I cannot remember the year. Nevertheless, I, like so many others, found it to be a thrilling ride into the fantastical. The Morigu is perhaps the most blood-curdlingly riveting hero I have ever come to "know" -- I absolutely love him!!! 'The Dead' is one of my greatest treasures, and I regularly devour its pages with the fervent hope that by some miracle of Demi-God directed intervention, the series will one day be completed. After reading Mr. Perry/Leahy's editorial, I have real hope that this will somehow come to pass. Now, if I can only persuade my credit-card equipped mum to purchase a copy of 'The Desecration' for me... Please, Mr. Leahy. Its been almost a year to the day when last you "spoke" to us...we're all going into withdrawal here!!!

The author, Mark Perry\Leahy , July 11, 2000
Nope--I'm not dead!
A friend just called me about the reviews on Amazon.com. I was really surprised to read them--frankly I didn't think anyone had any interest in the Morigu books. Very cool to find out I was wrong.
Yes, I am still a writer--though out in Hollywood now. I changed my last name to Leahy (my family's clan name) to honor my grandfather's last request. And, yes, I am that Mark Leahy that wrote for the D&D movie (though the story they used is not mine, I do have co-producer credit). I also wrote an original script called Beowulf. It was completely re-written for the film (starring Christopher Lambert) and doesn't bear any resemblence to what I wrote. I haven't even seen it myself, but I know some people who have and, uh-- let's just say it didn't quite work out...

I've sold many more scripts and am working on others right now. But God only knows when one of the films made of my scripts will actually resemble what I wrote.

As to the Morigu books--well, what can I tell you? The first one did well, the second not so well, and my editor did not support the novels and things got very strange. It didn't take a genuis to figure out it was pointless to continue with these particular people. So I did what any self-repecting young writer would do--I took off for Europe for a year and half and got into as much trouble as I possible could. Probably wasn't my smartest move.

I have not written in prose for along time. But I have to say reading your remarks means a lot to me. Funnily enough I had just started my first novel in years, and was going to look into the possiblity of finishing the Morigu novels (there were to be at least two more).

But I have not been in the prose world for a long time, so I have no idea if there are any puplishers interested in the Morigu novels. I will insist on one thing though--if and when I do write the rest of the books--New Covers!

C'mon tell me that the cover of Morigu:The Desecration doesn't look like George Hamilton pretending to be Tarzan, while some bizarre guy with a Don King haircut looks on! I heard that at one fantasty convention it was voted the worst cover of the year. And, of course, everywhere I went, bookstores included, people had to point out how bloody awful the cover was.

Ah this is long, sorry. I want to thank all of you who took the time to write in a review, expecially since most of you seemed to think I was dead. I'll make a deal with you--keep saying nice things about me, and I'll find a publisher to finish the Morigu novels.

After all--I still want to know who wins in the end...

P.S. The last prose work I published was in the anthology novel THIEVES' WORLD:AFTERMATH. The story was called CADE and yes, it's kinda brutal, but after all these years I still love it.

I'll try to post a passages to give you a taste

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 11-08-2001, 09:21 AM   #5
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

elven stuff

here are a few lines that I like
these are from the second book the first one is back home in america

the little creature...looked up to meet the gray eyes of the elf before him. here standing in the flesh was is dream.... beyond the blood and gore cucullin was the image of perfection and nobility

for the first time in his long years cucullin felt envy for the peace of the dead

lonnlarcan ...sat in his throne ...about him stood the lords of the elven kind, their perfect features oddly shadowed by the stars above him...he was the high king of the most powerful nation in the land and his people the greatest of those that walked the earth...

lonnlarcan bowed his head straining to contain his outrage... the doom light shone harsh about the great elven lord...bitterness is not an emotion the elven kind ever feel, though regret is ever the lot of the immortals..

he stood tall his eyes lit with his knowledege and power

they came at night their mounts eyes burning red in the night a silver nimbus surrounding each horse and rider... they shouted and laughed,singing war songs as they came...the elves came in all their glory knowing the enemy would spy them out, taunting the dark ones with their display

the crowd let out a sigh at their beauty. ceallac, king's cousin, warlord of the elves...led them. his power draped about him like a black mantle

the two great elves searched each others features...all eyes were drawn to them; it seemd to the humans as if two gods of some ancient tale stood before them . and all there knew that of all that walked the earth Cucullin...and Ceallac...were counted two of the greatest

finally the elf looked up. his face shone like the light of a bright star but his eyes burned nearly red...to the human it was like looking into the face of some old god of fury and storms...
cormac turned to him. the light was gone from the elf's face but his eyes still burned

for a moment cormac seemed confused then abruptly laughed. it was not such a sound that any human could ever make. it was jubilant and sad yet full of passion....niall thought quite simply it was the most beautiful sound he had ever heard

that's it for now maybe more later

'Dern Helm"

Old 11-08-2001, 09:08 PM   #6
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Thanks afro-elf. They sound pretty interesting. and like I said, I like elves!
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 12:42 PM   #7
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Re:

Thanks for the info Afro-Elf, it does seem interesting.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:47 PM   #8
sessthon
Sapling

this was one of my favorite books when i first got into fantasy and i was deeply saddened when i finished the second one and found there to be no third

it is greatly heartening to read that the author might finish it

please keep us posted on any developements on future books that you might come across

or have any been written yet
sessthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:05 PM   #9
Galen13
Sapling

Read them long ago and still have both of them

Great to hear the author is still contemplating writing more. Everyone I have leant the books to thinks they're great. Lets hope there are more to come.
Galen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:43 PM   #10
Apkieran
Sapling

Mr.Leahy aka Mark C. Perry

Hey guys, just thought I should tell you something about the Morigu books if you havent read them. READ THEM!!!

The Morigu means so much to our group of roleplayers/weekend political debaters/military history lecturers; that I dont even know where to begin. For as long as we've been roleplaying the Morigu are really the only books that even come close to fitting our style and the world we play in. In our group they are without a doubt our BIBLES. Not even Tolkien surpasses them for us and our particular view of a fantasy world. This is not to say we dont like Tolkien, not at all...but Tolkien is not Perry and Perry is not Tolkien. For us, it is Perry and The Morigu World that matches our opinion of what a fantasy world would and should be like. And we love Mark C. Perry for it...unendingly. Now, with that said, imagine our PAIN that this series is not completed, but so too, imagine our joy knowing that at least there is a possibility that he may complete them.(That alone is worth it's weight in gold) We very much hope and wait for Mr.Perry or Mr. Leahy to complete them, because it is a huge void in our lives, they really mean that much too us. The first thing I do when i enter any book store is check the 'New Releases' and the 'Fantasy' section hoping and praying that some day i will see the third installment of the Morigu series. The world will stop then and wait for me to finish that book...

Do yourself favor read the Morigu books, but like a curse that might befall Lonnlarcan, remember there might not be a salvation in this because closure is in limbo.
Thanks for the forum.
Shawn
Apkieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
Treblig01
Sapling

Please for the love of god....finish the series or sell the rights

Please, please, please finish the series. iIWOULD EVEN PAY ONLINE FOR THE STORY, I DON'T NEED TO HAVE IT ALL PUBLISHED AND FINALIZED......JUST THE STORY PLEASE....

This story was one that started me on my love of fantasy and I have just spent a few weeks finding them again.

Mr. Leahy, what will it take.
Treblig01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #12
Mari
Elf Lady

Hmmm, so it isn't finished? Would it be worth starting to read it then?

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
2submit
Sapling

yes i have read morigu the dead havent found morigu descreation..and yess the morigu author use powerfull words to write the morigu he discribes the climatic battle by powerfull beings in the ending of morigu the dead the battle between morigu and the unicorn against three powerfull lords apkiran fealoth and the formarian...that was WOW it inspires me still ...
2submit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:30 AM   #14
Faeldrake
Sapling

abcd

Last edited by Faeldrake : 09-28-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Faeldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:30 AM   #15
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I truly hope that this is true. Perhaps the book could be re-released with a different title and definitely a different non-George Hamilton on steroids cove.

AE

'Dern Helm"

Old 12-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #16
Faeldrake
Sapling

abcd

Last edited by Faeldrake : 09-28-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #17
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Hello Faeldrake,

It is Mark's book, it is an awesome read, and Mark is actually a published author/screenwriter of which I can only dream about.

With that being said the following are simply my opinions based on responses I have gotten from people I have suggested the book to.

As far as the title, when I would mention that I read a truly great book and it was called the Morigu most would give me a strange look and/or say something like "More Goo?"

I would then say something about the Morrigan of Celtic myths but by that time it was too late.

When I asked friends to read the back covers and first pages ( I am your Death and The Room Vibrated...) the response was usually... "sounds like a run of the mill book"

What I did was pick a few passages that I liked let them read it and then the hooks were in.

Everyone that read them thought they were great reads.

I truly wish Mark the best await the continuation of a remarkable story.

AE

'Dern Helm"

Old 12-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #18
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Hello Faeldrake,

How did you happen upon this ancient link? As I see that you are new here and I have not post here in ages?

AE

'Dern Helm"

Old 12-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #19
Faeldrake
Sapling

abcd

Last edited by Faeldrake : 09-28-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #20
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I honestly have no idea what the logistics of this would be (or if it's even possible--I have no idea how publishers work), but if he is having trouble with artists he might try finding someone on a place like Deviant Art whose work he loves, and getting a contract with them to do the art for the book.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote