Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-16-2003, 10:17 PM   #81
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Leto II scared me. He was different. I don't think he actually had feeling, I think he was all destiny and was to busy thinking about the future to care about the present. Plus with his life span, he probably just didn't want to get hurt by seeing friends die again and again. It could have been on purpose too, he needed everyone mad enough to want to kill him.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 09:28 PM   #82
Admiral Ackbar
Hobbit

re

Eech... I think House Atreides was tolerable, but House Harkonnen was terrible. Absolutely terrible. I got bored halfway through the book, and literally predicted several of the plot 'twists'... it was getting so repetitive. I only hope House Corrino is better.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:28 PM   #83
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
I swore off those stories after the first. I couldn't finish it it was too boring--and that's saying a lot since I read my way through al my barney books yesterday
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 12:59 AM   #84
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I read Butlerian Jihad. He doesn't have his father's magic touch, does he?

Last edited by BeardofPants : 02-18-2003 at 01:00 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 01:07 AM   #85
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I wonder if it would've been better had he done a sort of "History of the Duniverse" the way Christopher did HoME. But I guess he doesn't have as much material to work with.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 05:33 AM   #86
olsonm
Elf Lord

I tried to read Dune but I had trouble getting through it. I thought it was interesting but I got stuck early in Book II. Have I given up just before the best parts; or is it a case of "if it hasn't grabbed you yet it probably won't."?
Old 08-26-2003, 09:55 AM   #87
Jinnigan
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by olsonm
I tried to read Dune but I had trouble getting through it. I thought it was interesting but I got stuck early in Book II. Have I given up just before the best parts; or is it a case of "if it hasn't grabbed you yet it probably won't."?
I daresay Book II would be the hardest to work through, as it's mostly political intrigue.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:41 PM   #88
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Jinnigan
I daresay Book II would be the hardest to work through, as it's mostly political intrigue.
Thanks for the tip Jinnigan. I'll give it another try.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:52 AM   #89
elendili
Elven Warrior

i think it was a bit of a bizarre book part politics part SF i do agree that book II was heavy. Paul's family fraked me out a bit especially his sister.

Overall i'm not coverted from fantasy to SF. Why do people always do that, grouping SF and fantasy together even though they're completely different

"Courage my soul, now learn to wield
The weight of thine immortal shield
Place on thy head thy helmet bright
Ballance thy sword against the fight
See where an army strong as fair
With silken banners spreads the air
Now if thy bee'st that thing divine
In this days combat let it shine:
And shew that nature wants an art
To conqeur one resolved heart"
Andrew Marvell
elendili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 09:13 PM   #90
old scholar
Hobbit

hey

i have red all the books
Old 04-05-2004, 06:44 PM   #91
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

That's strange... One of mine is blue.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 07:15 PM   #92
BeardofPants
the Shrike

My autographed copy is red.

C'mere, Cirdan. Hmmm.... I can't decide whether to give you a wedgie, or a noogie.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:25 PM   #93
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
My autographed copy is red.

C'mere, Cirdan. Hmmm.... I can't decide whether to give you a wedgie, or a noogie.
Read my PM first and then decide.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 04-05-2004, 08:11 PM   #94
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Mark: I have read and responded to your PM. Never fear, I have come up with the worst punishment imaginable... unless of course you are an old fart suffering from incontinence.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:15 PM   #95
Cirdan

Quote:
Mark: I have read and responded to your PM. Never fear, I have come up with the worst punishment imaginable... unless of course you are an old fart suffering from incontinence.
So that means I'm safe.

Dune seems kind of stupid. There's too much sand.

And how come they can't synthesize melange? They have intragalactic travel but no GC/MSs or basic organic chemistry knowledge? Are they just stupid from being wasted all the time?

All the characters are a bunch of junkies trapped in a 70's Star Wars Middle Eastern style Disco that never ends. How many freakin' books can one author write about scoring drugs buried in sand.

Don't even get me started on the lame giant sand worms. Right. They just plow through the substrate at high speeds and on the suface they move without wriggling or winding and yet have no legs.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 04-05-2004, 09:39 PM   #96
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well of course they're stupid from being wasted all the time! Sheesh! You're just jealous that they're getting more sex than you are.

Wait... I know I'm forgetting something here.... Oh yes....

*unleashes a giant Pants Jihad*
Old 04-05-2004, 09:52 PM   #97
Cirdan

Quote:
Well of course they're stupid from being wasted all the time! Sheesh! You're just jealous that they're getting more sex than you are.

Wait... I know I'm forgetting something here.... Oh yes....

*unleashes a giant Pants Jihad*

What is this "sex" thing to which you refer?

Hey, if I want to read about empires run by stupid people burnout on drugs I could just read Bush's book. He uses lots of easy words too.

How many sizes do the Pants jihad come in? I've lost a bit of weight lately and giant might be too much.

I *will* have your drain hair for this!

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 04-24-2004, 05:28 AM   #98
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

I loved the first Dune novel. I actually rate it higher than Lord of the Rings *look's over his shoulder*. The next two books ruined it for me a bit though. To me the whole 'prescience' theme was what I found most boring about Dune, and since the next two are almost exclusively about prescience (or about trying to explain prescience), I was never going to enjoy it as much.

Anyway, what's really buggin me is:

I actually just finished reading Children of Dune this morning and was wondering why towards the end Leto II called Farad'n 'cousin'? Earlier in the book it 'says' that Farad'n is related to Count Fenring somehow. Does that mean that perhaps Farad'n's father was Feyd Rautha's son who was conceived with Lady Fenring? That would make the two distant cousins...

Personally I always thought this was the case. It fits. The Harkonnen genes were very important to the Bene Gesserit and who better to invest those genes into than House Corrino, the heir of which could reclaim the Empire from Muad' Dib or at least ensure the preservation of the Kwisatz Haderach program by mating the Harkonnen heir with an Atreides daughter?

Then again how could either know? I can imagine Leto working it out somehow but not Farad'n, and in 'Children' he accepted Leto's 'cousin' acknowledgement as a given...

Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.

Last edited by Captain Stern : 04-24-2004 at 05:33 AM.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 05:46 AM   #99
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Stern
Anyway, what's really buggin me is:

I actually just finished reading Children of Dune this morning and was wondering why towards the end Leto II called Farad'n 'cousin'?
IIRC, the Padishah Emperor Shaddam Corrino IV is a distaff cousin of the Duke Leto, so Leto II would also be a distaff cousin of Farad'n (who is a descendent of Shaddam Corrino IV).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaddam_IV

Hope this helps.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 04-25-2004 at 05:50 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:01 AM   #100
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i'm in the middle of rereading too... i'd forgotten how much detail herbert put into the cultural philosophies of the different organizations

for those who have read it... do you think herbert thought of paul a true messiah (i.e. there is something supernatural behind his accomplishments)... or was it all the manipulations that made him one?