FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-28-2000, 12:43 AM   #21
anduin

Re: Dune movie

No ICQ, huh? Well, how about aol's IM?
Old 01-29-2000, 07:09 PM   #22
Hernalt

Well, well, welll...

Look what I found. I haven't read the 6 books since I was a teenager, and I'm almost more keen to reread the Dune saga again now that I'm older than I am to embark on WOT. Jaro, what should I do? So many worlds to rend, so little time...
Old 01-30-2000, 03:48 PM   #23
bmilder

Re: Let´s talk about Dune...

OK, I finished Dune last night. Very good I'll have to rent the movie, and read the other books. Does anyone know the names of the other Dune books? Are they sequels or prequels to it?
Old 01-30-2000, 03:54 PM   #24
juntel

All sequels: Dune Messiah Children of Dune God-Emporor of Dune ChapterHouse Dune Dilbert Visits Dune Dogbert Conquers Dune Am I missing any?
Old 01-30-2000, 03:59 PM   #25
Fat middle

uh, congrats! :P
Old 01-31-2000, 08:51 AM   #26
Jaro

I don't have mine here at school, so I'm not sure if that's all of them.. ...I'd recommend reading Dune before the WoT series. Dune has 5 or 6 books, and an ending. The WoT is up to 8 or 9, and more are on the way.
Old 02-07-2000, 12:44 AM   #27
bmilder

I finished Dune Messiah the other day, which was good, and saw the Dune movie today, which was painful I generally agree with juntel's comments about it earlier in this topic. I can understand how someone who hadn't read it would be completely lost and fans would be disappointed.
Old 02-07-2000, 12:57 AM   #28
Jaro

Has anyone read House Atreides, by KJA?
Old 02-07-2000, 01:20 AM   #29
juntel

Aaaarrrrghhh! I wonder if I should! It's like someone else from Asimov writing a Foundation novel... Did you read it Jaro? Your opinions?
Old 02-07-2000, 11:46 PM   #30
Jaro

I haven't, no... ... and I actually haven't heard anything about it, positive or negative.. I'm not inclined to read it, though, becasue it's not (IMO) his vision.
Old 02-08-2000, 03:04 AM   #31
bmilder

house atreides

I saw it listed somewhere, and I thought it was by Frank Herbert's son? Or did KJA do most of the writing?
Old 02-08-2000, 04:39 AM   #32
Jaro

Re: house atreides

Quoted from Amazon.com: <hr> Acclaimed SF novelist Brian Herbert is the son of Dune author Frank Herbert. With his father, Brian wrote Man of Two Worlds and later edited The Notebooks of Frank Herbert's Dune. Kevin J. Anderson has written many bestsellers, alternating original SF with novels set in the X-Files and Star Wars universes. Together they bring personal commitment and a lifelong knowledge of the Dune Chronicles to this ambitious expansion of a series that transformed SF itself. Dune: House Atreides chronicles the early life of Leto Atreides, prince of a minor House in the galactic Imperium. Leto comes to confront the realities of power when House Vernius is betrayed in an imperial plot involving a quest for an artificial substitute to melange, a substance vital to interstellar trade that is found only on the planet Dune. Meanwhile, House Harkonnen schemes to bring Leto into conflict with the Tleilax, and the Bene Gesserit manipulate Baron Harkonnen as part of a plan stretching back 100 generations. In the Imperial palace, treason is afoot, and on Dune itself, planetologist Pardot Kynes embarks on a secret project to transform the desert world into a paradise. <hr> The New York Times Book Review, Gerald Jonas: The good news is that the new work captures the sense of seriousness that distinguished the earlier books. <hr> <a href=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0553110616/qid=949984602/sr=1-1/104-4789750-5523657>Dune: House Atreides</a> - Amazon.com
Old 03-07-2000, 12:07 AM   #33
bmilder

I finished Children of Dune the other day.

Heh, I think I just realized what Herbert meant when he said the planet Ix was named for a long-lost number... IX, Roman numeral nine :lol: I'm so dumb.

I've also heard that the SciFi channel is coming out with a Dune miniseries.
Old 03-07-2000, 11:45 PM   #34
Jaro

Oooh, really?

I'll have to check that out.
Old 03-08-2000, 06:54 PM   #35
juntel

BTW, in the list I gave above (a month ago!), I forgot Heretics of Dune that comes after Children of Dune and before ChapterHouse Dune.

And then the last two I listed are quite difficult to find...
Old 03-17-2000, 10:15 PM   #36
bmilder

confirmation of miniseries

I found confirmation that the miniseries was in the works at the SciFi channel website. Check out this short article for a few details. I still haven't discovered when it's due to air.
Old 03-17-2000, 10:24 PM   #37
bmilder

Re: confirmation of miniseries

I found the main website for the miniseries as well. <a href="http://www.scifi.com/dune/" une</a>

It's coming out this fall.
Old 04-24-2000, 11:00 PM   #38
Brewhaha

I don't want to sound like a moron by asking such a general question, but what is Dune all about?
Old 04-25-2000, 12:33 AM   #39
bmilder

Hmm, the more pressing question is... why did ezboard put a smiley face in the middle of my link??? (j/k )

Dune is a desert planet, the only place in the galaxy where the spice melange is found. The spice is very valuable, because it is essential in space travel and other everyday galactic functions. The story focuses on Paul Atreides, a young nobleman who is forced into the desert after an attack and is embraced by the nomadic Fremen as their Messiah.

(There, I think that was a good, concise overview without giving away too many key plot points )
Old 04-25-2000, 02:26 AM   #40
anduin

Wow, that's pretty darn good Ben.... Makes me want to read it all over again.