Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-15-2002, 09:05 PM   #41
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
What are these about maybe I'll put them on my to read list
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 12:25 AM   #42
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Yes! Do that! Read them now! You'll like it.

The first one is "Nine Princes in Amber", which starts out with this amnesiac guy who finds out he's a prince of some magic place and his brother is trying to keep him exiled on Earth. And then...it gets complicated and hard to explain. But it's good.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 11:12 PM   #43
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Took your advice, just order the entire series over the library internet web
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 04-18-2002, 11:12 PM   #44
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Took your advice, just order the entire series over the library internet web

Old 04-20-2002, 11:03 AM   #45
Elbereth Gilthoniel
Enting

they are really good.I like the begining of the first book when he is trying to understand who is he.
thy starlight on the Western Seas.
Elbereth Gilthoniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 01:01 AM   #46
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Hey, I am back from a long absence...good to see the Amber thread...still going.

"
Hallo
I just found Zealazni's books in the labrary and I started to read Amber from the fourth book he was amazing (I read the last line several times just to be sure what she in saying)
I read all the 10 books of Amber (in a very wrong order) and liked them.
My friends didn't liked them!
you know interesting Zealazni sites"

Start over and read them in order, please.

"No one answered my post
If someone know some intresting sites on it that will pleas tell me.
there are great books! try to read them."

Don't know any real good Amber sites...keep looking!

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 03:26 PM   #47
Elbereth Gilthoniel
Enting

I can't read them on the right order, they are in the library and the seventh isn't there (I took it from my uncle) and not they all in the same time. my uncle have the first books but he gave part of them to people. I read again part of it.
there are another fantasy books that he wrote ?(not the one on the war good against evil I can't translate back his name to english)
Old 04-22-2002, 08:33 PM   #48
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Ringbearer!
You're BACK!
We missed you.
Welcome back, our wonderful Amber expert.
Old 04-22-2002, 10:09 PM   #49
ringbearer
Elf Lord

A humble thank you...we must keep spreading the word about this wonderfull series...keep the Amber posts going...If 'Star Wars', can have it's own category...So must Amber...Go to the other Amber posts and keep them going as well...I left for a while...because I got bored with the rings(too many stupid posts, and frankly I ran out of things to post about, but I can talk about Amber forever)...long live the Trumps!

Hide Witch, hide!
A Gothic mask of duty!
Old 04-22-2002, 10:19 PM   #50
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by mirrille
Yes! Do that! Read them now! You'll like it.

The first one is "Nine Princes in Amber", which starts out with this amnesiac guy who finds out he's a prince of some magic place and his brother is trying to keep him exiled on Earth. And then...it gets complicated and hard to explain. But it's good.
Amber IS hard to explain...the story(s) have everything from swashbuckling(sheesh, how do you spell that word?) to Sci-Fi.

See this for input there as well!

Let's start some Amber quiz threads.

Hide Witch, hide!
A Gothic mask of duty!
Old 09-02-2002, 08:49 PM   #51
webwizard333
Elf Lord

After Lord of Light by Zelazny, I moved on to his Amber books. I was amazed by how good they were. I've only read the first five, but as soon as I can, I'm getting the next five. They're incredibaly original with the whole idea of 2 worlds that throw off other worls like shadows and the royal families.I like how though the books are ery serious, there are still some funny lines every once in awhile (hurricane and a pile driver ). I look forward to reading the next five, though some of the reviews say those books aren't as good.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:48 PM   #52
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Glad you like them! You will enjoy part 2!

Hide Witch, hide!
A Gothic mask of duty!
Old 09-03-2002, 03:43 PM   #53
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I just read the ten books!!! they are great!!!!!!!!!!

I just didn't like the last book... it finished.. ahhh... I didn't like it. it was the worst ending I ever read!!! (I didn't like it)
it finished in the middle of everything!!
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 12:29 AM   #54
ringbearer
Elf Lord

I know...a lot of loose ends. Hello and Goodby!

Hide Witch, hide!
A Gothic mask of duty!
Old 10-05-2002, 03:30 PM   #55
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

huh? goodbye?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 12:42 AM   #56
Mirage
Sapling

BTW, it seems another author has been authorized to write what I think is a three volume prequel covering Oberon (Corwin's father). I saw the first book in hardback at Barnes and Noble. I'm somewhat leary of this since Zelzany's Amber is so distinctive. In keeping with the tradition of the previous Amber books, this new one seemed a bit thin and I could not justify purchasing it. I'll wait until the paperback is out.

As a side note, some of Zelazny's best writing can be found in his early short stories from the 60s when he burst into the sc-fi writing scene. However, I don't know if any of it is still in print.
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 03:33 PM   #57
Elbereth Gilthoniel
Enting

Mirage

ok, I think I understand waht you have written but I used dictionaryso I'm not sure.:
you saw some books that you on oberon and you are waiting for them to get out in paperback.
if I'm wrong
could you write it in a more simple way?
Old 10-08-2002, 04:56 PM   #58
Mirage
Sapling

Quote:
Originally posted by Elbereth Gilthoniel
Mirage

ok, I think I understand waht you have written but I used dictionaryso I'm not sure.:
you saw some books that you on oberon and you are waiting for them to get out in paperback.
if I'm wrong
could you write it in a more simple way?
Yes. You are correct.

At my local bookstore I saw a hardcover book about Oberon. It was not written by Zelazny. It was written by another author.

According to the information on the book, it says that it is the 1st of 3 books about Oberon.

I did not buy it because I prefer having a paperback version. However, it may be awhile before a paperback version is released because the hardcover version was just published.
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 07:35 PM   #59
mirrille
Elven Warrior

I've got a really bad feeling about these "prequels". What is this author's connection to Zelazny that lets him write these books?
Old 10-09-2002, 09:42 PM   #60
webwizard333
Elf Lord

I think, so don't take my word for it, that I've heard about these books before. I believe there was mention of them being put together from Zelazny's notes.

On the topic of continueing the series, was Zelazny intending to write more Amber books before he died suddenly. I've read many times that the last one is very inconclusive and ends just before a conforntation between Order and Chaos.