Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #21
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

lol that sounds about right! or twilight is for girls like the scantly dresses bond girls are for boys!
feawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #22
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Pretty much all that article was saying is that grown women who read the books have no self-control. They just can't help being "sucked in" (which is kind of a pun... ) by the books and they .. apparently... fantasize about the actors in the movie. If they want to hate the books, they need to QUIT READING THEM. I did. I asked for them last year for Christmas and got the first two. I read them all in a total of maybe five days to a week? Then my boyfriend pointed out that I couldn't quit reading them and that maybe they were a source of obsession for me. I decided he was right and got rid of the books. I haven't read the other two.

I know that they are not something I would want my teenagers reading. I personally would prefer children who are influenced by other things than vampires and desire. Teenagers have enough desire problems without the help of Stephanie Meyer.

Edit: That is, someday when I have teenagers. I do not have teenagers now.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #23
Amanda
Enting

Location: Where the only known occupation is constant laughter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
Teenagers have enough desire problems without the help of Stephanie Meyer.
Hehe yes, this is true! Even the teenagers in their 20s like me.

I can only guess what's going through her mind. I saw her site once, and on there it says that she had a dream one night about this fictitious world about vampires and all that, then she began writing about it. Wow. Makes the whole "what are you smoking, I want some!" quote a lot more relevant!

I'm more interested in the idea of brain-eating zombies coming to life and everyone trying to cling on to the very edge of survival than I am in stories about teenage vampires and their lovers who have some sort of identity crisis...
Yes yes, so what to write here! Well nobody looks at these things, and it's very unlikely that I'll produce anything that original. So I may as well write something either way since it doesn't matter!

La la, lalalalala! La la laaaaaaaa, lalalalalalaaaaaa!
Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:44 AM   #24
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
Twilight is teh bombz!!! Just kidding. I got to see the new movie, but it just dragged on and on and on and on and on about details, many of which won't even become relevant later on in the saga. And I can understand someone being a little clumsy but OMG Bella is the clumsiest hipster I've ever seen!!!
Well, at least you don't like it, cus if you did, I'd have to personally commit you to the funny farm: Twilight Sufferers Unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
No, Twilight is for girls what Conan, exploding helicopters, shoot-em-up games and superheroes who have to rescue helpless girls who then madly throw themselves at their feet, are for boys.
I find that to be an agreeable summation. "Spock approves."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Well, I'm not into shooter-games, but I'm not impartial to a nicely done exploding helicopter myself...

Maybe we should try and refine the statement. Hmm, how about... Twilight is for girls what Princess Leia's slave-outfit is for boys?
I find this statement to be even more accurate!!! lols
Old 08-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #25
ASmileThatExplodes
Hobbit

I've read all the books and I quite liked them (blushes!), until book 4. That book is just ridiculous. Bella is freaking about 'the war with the Volturi' and in the end, THERE ISN'T EVEN A WAR. :')

But okay, back to the topic. I am 16 years old and yes, I did like the books, but when I compare Twilight to LotR & The Silmarillion, I just feel guilty for even reading the Twilight-series. And since the moment I realised it, I can't stand the Twilight-series anymore. But a while ago, I was really, really bored and so, I picked up New Moon and after 10 minutes reading, I just... Stopped.

I think I'm growing up and that I'm realizing that the Edward-Bella-relationship isn't that healthy, haha.
ASmileThatExplodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #26
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I think the main addiction to the Twilight novels is that they're -very- easy to read, and (according to some of my friends) it's like getting to read a dirty novel but they don't feel guilty afterwards. I was begged to read the first Twilight book by a friend and did not find myself all that excited by the image my mind conjured up of trying to cuddle with a popsicle.

I honestly don't understand the allure people feel for the books, or why anyone would be interested in Edward. He's a frozen-solid peeping Tom who should have no interest in someone as shallow as Bella.

.... now if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to watching Moulin Rouge on repeat reading Harry Potter War and Peace.

Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #27
Huorn
Elven Warrior

I don't have to worry about addiction to Twilight. My addiction is to Tom Clancy.

Just call me Oakie
Huorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #28
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Excuse me if this is a bit tangential but... can someone explain to me what the Vampire hype these days is all about? I mean, it's not just Twilight. There's a zillion vampire shows and movies nowadays. What I don't get is why??? What do people see in vampires? And why so suddenly nowadays? Why weren't vampires a craze in the 90's say?
I don't get it and it bugs the **** out of me

EDIT: Oh, and in case you didn't get it from my post, I have decided I hate Twilight without even taking the time to read it. I remember reading somewhere that some teenage girls (or pre-teens, I'm not really sure), who were fans of the series, started to avoid direct sunlight and were actually convinced that they were vampires. Now, any book that does this to people is one of two things:

1- The innocent mistake of a misguided author

OR

2- An ingenious marketing scheme carefully designed to cater to a specific group of people and hopelessly rope them in

My personal guess is "number 2" and therefore, that's the mental label I have put on the Twilight books
Twilight fans: wake up and smell the garlic!! Dump these books once and for all and pick up some real literature.

Last edited by Beren3000 : 08-15-2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: To make my feelings about Twilight unequivocally clear!
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote