Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-17-2008, 02:37 AM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Eoin Colfer to pen sixth Hitchhiker's Guide

I know there are a lot of Colfer readers (and Douglas Adams readers) who hang out around these parts, so you may find this story of interest.

While I like Colfer as a writer, I don't understand publishing's fascination with clinging to existing franchises and the legacies of dead authors. Apparently it makes money.

My own terse comments here.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:17 AM   #2
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Yo, IronParrot! How ya diddlin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronParrot View Post
I know there are a lot of Colfer readers (and Douglas Adams readers) who hang out around these parts, so you may find this story of interest.

While I like Colfer as a writer, I don't understand publishing's fascination with clinging to existing franchises and the legacies of dead authors. Apparently it makes money.
Well, you answered that question yourself:
Quote:
I’m guilty of being party to this kind of brand-driven exploitation, and I know it.
You don't like it, yet you're highly curious.

Sadly, such laziness is a feature of publishing, films, TV, games, websites, music, art, everything. And the more it costs to create the medium, and the more revenue matters, the worse it gets.

Never got around to Artemis Fowl myself, though I might read a H2G2 spinoff if I didn't have to pay for it.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:29 AM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Wha-? WHY??

I only read the first Artemis. Wasn't a fan.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
You don't like it, yet you're highly curious.

Sadly, such laziness is a feature of publishing, films, TV, games, websites, music, art, everything. And the more it costs to create the medium, and the more revenue matters, the worse it gets.
Well, to clarify - I can't abide most tie-ins and franchise continuations, and I wouldn't even dream of giving another H2G2 a look if it weren't for the fact that it's Eoin Colfer's name on it. I enjoyed the early Artemis Fowl books, though they're transitory pleasures, and I don't think they'll age well at all. I think publishers are now realizing that the way to expand the tie-in business to readers that would otherwise thumb their noses at it is to recruit high-profile writers. After all, if you're like me and you don't read based on series or brands, you probably base your reading patterns on the authors themselves. Colfer, not the Guide, is the draw for me here.

I've been well. Glad this place lives on.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:05 AM   #5
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Good to see you, and nice blog btw.

I would probably want a look to see if it's up to the standard of the original H2G2.

I guess this nicely illustrates your theory of double-baiting content.

Maybe the storyline will feature gothic vampires in basques for that triple effect.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:19 AM   #6
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I'm not really bothered by this but I probably won't read the book either. I haven't even read Mostly Harmless yet.

I love Eoin Colfer. I've read all except of the Artemis Fowl books and even one of the companion books. I've also read another of his books, Benny and Omar.

Colfer's only fault as a writer in my opinion is that he can't write adults well. I'll let a fantasy author fudge and have young heroes risk their lives to save the world with their parents being completely oblivious (at least for a while). Colfer does this aspect quite well. Mr. and Mrs. Fowl are fairly believable, given the circumstances. However, adults often come across as very one dimentional or stupid in his books - Butler being the exception.

This aboslutely ruined Benny and Omar for me, which would have otherwise been fantastic. The adults are so unbelievably horrible that I can only be sympathetic with the anti-hero's behaviour, to the point of wondering why he isn't even worse behaved. His parents are completely unsympathetic to an awful tragedy and it's really quite disgusting.

Immature characterization ruined a great book.

But right. Back to the thread. I know this is sacreligious, but I just don't care about HHG2G that much anymore. Some crappy add-on isn't going to ruin how awesome the first two books were. And Douglas Adams had always been very flexible about his canon. (Maybe not this flexible though, who knows.)
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Reminds me of the "new" Godfather book that someone wrote instead of Mario Puzo.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Finally borrowed the book from a friend. I think Colfer matches Adams' style well enough to make an enjoyable reading. But I somewhat wonder why there needed to be another book. It's all a bit more of the same to me.