Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-25-2001, 11:02 PM   #1
gdl96
the greg the admin

Yeah, I was really annoyed I didn't get to see the trailers for SW and LOTR.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 07:05 AM   #2
poppy
Hobbit

Ive just started rereading FOTR too just to catch up. i also watched an interview with Sean Bean last night and i have to say he didnt do himself any favours he didnt even know what the books were basically about
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 09:03 AM   #3
Steerpike
Sapling

I agree with those who say the film was too loyal to the book. Some things just don't translate well to film, especially when it's a book that is the first of a long series and which contains elements that only become understood later on.

The biggest problem for me was the Quidditch scene. Oh, it looks good and is exciting enough, but it has absolutely no bearing on the story. Quidditch is very important to the life of the school, and that comes across in the books, but in the films it just seemed like a break from the story of the film--almost like an intermission!

Yet I don't see how they could not have a Quidditch game in the movie. But I also don't see how they can have them in the future films either, because it will be the exact same thing.
Steerpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 04:54 PM   #4
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

HP

Well, the biggest thing about the movie is, it's aimed at kids. Bottom line. If the movie was intended for adults, they would have done a way better job on everything. Not that I was expecting it to be an adult - type movie. If they had done it like that, it would have done really bad at the box office because Harry Potter's market is kids, as in the 10-and-under age group. You just have to remember when you see it that it's a kid movie, so don't set your hopes too high.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 06:32 PM   #5
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

Hey, I'm not a kid and I loved that movie! I went out and saw it 4 times! To me it was easily entertaining enough for adults too watch. It was fun and exciting and complex enough to keep adults interested, and it had a group of actors who well a well balanced team, that doesn't happen very often.

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 11:25 PM   #6
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

HP

Hey, don't get me wrong, i loved it! I'm not saying that it's not a good movie, or that adults won't like it. It's just that everyone has been making comments about all these things they didn't like, and I'm just saying that they don't need to set their hopes so high.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 02:01 AM   #7
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

I understand you. And I wasn't dissin' ya. I just wanted to stand up as an adult who loved the movie! It's always especially difficult to make a movie out of a book that is loved by many. Everyone has a different vision of how thing look and what things are most important. But I think Harry Potter did an excellent job, and so did LOTR, even though I didn't agree with all their choices, I loved both movies!

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 08:25 PM   #8
Mihara of Yeldar
Sapling

read all the books...

And loved them! And I was the one who lent Sakata the books for her to read to. I was dissapointed with the movie, especially the soundtrack. What happened to the John Williams that wrote the Star Wars soundtrack? Now the guy who did LOTR soundtrack...
BTW, does anyone know when the Order of the Pheonix is comming out? I've heard May, Summer, and next year. What is the truth?
PS for all the Christians who say Harry Potter is bad, I used to be one of you, until I actually read the books! As Jesus said, thou shall not judge, especially not without knowing the truth!
horrid, because then you have to wear those ugly red robes."

I cannot fight a battle of the minds with someone who is unarmed.
Mihara of Yeldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 09:52 AM   #9
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

for those who don't know yet:

they have decided to make HP3, scheduled to come out early 2004, but let's take it one sequel at a time, eh? (*still excited!*)

and as for christians believing HP books are bad in any sense are in my opinion mistaken. i feel that any books that are encouraging a generation of nintendo babies to become readers and interested in literature cannot be bad! and there are too many positive social messages integrated into the HP books that children are not getting. ahhh just like my beloved dr suess
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 08:43 PM   #10
TinuvielChild
Padawan

ok, the cuts i was really annoyed about were ALL of Fred and George's good lines! the whole "once..or twice..a minute..all summer" thing, the toilet seat joke, all of them! the Dumbledore line on the first day, and the potions challenge. i can understand why they cut the potions challenge (not enough action/ adrenaline rush), but i would have liked to see it.

i personally thought that Alan Rickman was AWESOME as Snape!!! same goes for Sean Biggerstaff as Oliver Wood (although he was supposed to be big, burly, and not too bright outside of Quidditch). Not enough Draco!!!

this post may have given you the idea that i hated the movie. absolutely incorrect: i saw it twice and would have seen it 3 or 4 times if i hadn't been saving up to see LotR 5+ times when it came out. Wonderful Movie!!!

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 02:06 AM   #11
BeardofPants
the Shrike

When's the next book going to be out already????
Old 04-04-2002, 12:05 AM   #12
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I believe that Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix will be released in July 2002. I haven't heard anything confirmed, though.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 08:14 AM   #13
Glorious Glorfindel
Elven Warrior

really? we have to wait that long? bummer! i thought it was coming out sooner than that. i thought it was coming out like 3 months ago, but it hasn't. maybe the film delayed it all.
Na-chaered palan-diriel
o galadhremmin ennorath
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, si nef aearon!

add a drop of lavander to milk.
leave town with an orange and pretend you're laughing at it.
Glorious Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 10:08 PM   #14
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

nm

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 06:24 AM   #15
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Re: read all the books...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mihara of Yeldar
PS for all the Christians who say Harry Potter is bad, I used to be one of you, until I actually read the books! As Jesus said, thou shall not judge, especially not without knowing the truth!
First, lemme say that I like Harry Potter, but understand that parents should decide (for younger kids, anyway) whether or not hteir kids should read the books. I thought they were a little scary for 10yr olds.

Second. Jesus never said "Don't judge". he said (and here I'm paraphrasing, but I believe you'll find the original passage in the first part of Matthew 7) You will be judged by the same standard you judge others. That's a huge, huge difference.

Here it is: "Judge not, lest you be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 10:57 PM   #16
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Crickhollow, I don't see what what you said had much to do with anything. no offense.

Ok, I think you meant by that quote to the Christians who think its bad. I don't know why I said it made no sense. Maybe that you were quoting something.... anyways, what i meant was that the Christians who disapprove of it probably won't listen to any argument.

further stuff:

What I meant by that is you say that parent's have a right to see what their kids are reading. the reason you give for that is that it could be too scary. But the reasons some christians want to ban the book is because of 'witch craft' or some such nonsense. Its a fictional book! It in no way promotes the devil or gets kids to go become witchs. :P

Also, to get Christians who feel this way to read the book, ppl say "it has good christian values" nope. It has no "christian" valutes, but in general good values that have no religion. (thats been posted here before though)

Sorry for babbling a bit. I just can't see any of those people's point of view at all, can you?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote