Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-17-2002, 02:39 AM   #1
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I don't believe that Eol and Feanor are comparable.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 02:48 AM   #2
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Why are they not comparable? I think they are very comparable. I think Faenor and Sam Gamgee are comparable. They're all essentially human, you know.
Old 08-17-2002, 02:48 AM   #3
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Eol was not a villain. He meets none of the criteria. He acts from passion, and I fond it hard to call an unwillingness to trust the sons of Feanor or their kin a fatal flaw.

Sounds more like common sense to me

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 02:50 AM   #4
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Blackheart, to quote yourself: "I could kill you out of love, but it doesn't matter one whit, does it?"

Eöl deliberatly tried to murder his son, doesn't that make him a criminal and thus, a villain?
Old 08-17-2002, 02:53 AM   #5
Blackheart
Elf Lord

No. Turgon ordered either death, or imprisonment, both for him and his son.

He chose death.

He also chose for his son. Care to guess the elvish age of majority?

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 08-17-2002, 03:06 AM   #6
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Oh I see. I guess I didn't really pick up on that part. Makes it all the more interesting. 'Course, it was not "imprisonment" to Maeglin. Indeed after a fashion Maeglin and Aredhel were imprisoned in Nan Elmoth.

Age of majority?

Last edited by Ñólendil : 08-17-2002 at 03:07 AM.
Ñólendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 03:08 AM   #7
Blackheart
Elf Lord

age of majority for humans (in modern society) 18

slowly being pushed up to 21.

In other words, the age when an individual is considered an adult, and no longer the responsibility (or in the dark ages chattel) of their parents.

Which brings it back to child custody. Obviously a cultural conflict, perhaps the telri were patriarchal.. oh wait so were the Noldor, so according to mideavial custom, the father would likely have had the final say about where the child would reside...

Last edited by Blackheart : 08-17-2002 at 03:11 AM.
Old 08-17-2002, 03:10 AM   #8
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Ah. Being more aquainted with Tolkien than with my own story, I know it only as "coming of age" Sad, isn't it?

I think Tolkien actually answered it for us, though. I could be wrong, but I think he mentions it in Laws and Customs Among the Eldar.
Old 08-17-2002, 03:11 AM   #9
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

For an Elf 50-100.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 03:43 AM   #10
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

So how old was Maeglin when they went to Gondolin? I know my perspective on this issue really twists my views on it, because the way I see it, Eol was being overly possesive of Aredhel and Maeglin. Aredhel, and Maeglin, as I think he was old enough then, should have had their free will, etc. But if I were to look at it taking into consideration the culture and time, as I must do, then Eol's over-possesiveness of his wife and son (perhaps comparable to Feanor and his Silmarils?) seems a little less...horrible...to me. But not enough that I would be too forgiving of him, and I would say he is a villain, of sorts.
And, again from my perspective, seen through the clouded glass of our 'modern' society, I think that no one should be able to choose life or death for someone other than themselves. Of course, in Gondolin, then, the laws were different. Er.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 03:53 AM   #11
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm sorry, but I just cannot place Eol even in the same boat as Feanor. Yes, I think he was misguided, but I think it's a bit of a leap to try and brand him as evil. He simply doesn't meet the criteria.
Old 08-17-2002, 03:56 AM   #12
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Think if he had done his deeds to you. How would you feel?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 04:06 AM   #13
Blackheart
Elf Lord

What? married me, gave me a son, then got mad becasue I ran off with the kids to my brother in-law's house where my Brother in-law wants to kill me before he'll let me leave?

Hell I can't say I blame the guy, but I'd have thrown the damned spear at Turgon, and chuckled when she dove in front of it.

Old 08-17-2002, 04:06 AM   #14
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, his were crimes of passion. Ill thought out, and definately not premeditated. The kinslaying on the other hand...
Old 08-17-2002, 04:07 AM   #15
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
Think if he had done his deeds to you. How would you feel?
Very, very angry! Here's for another of his crimes. . .

This is when Aredhel has strayed into his woods and is lost...
Quote:
And it came to pass that he saw Aredhel Ar-Feiniel as she strayed among the tall trees near the borders of Nan Elmoth, a gleam of white in the dim land. Very fair she seemed to him, and he desired her; and he set his enchantments about her that she could not find the ways out, but drew ever nearer to his dwelling in the depths of the wood. There were his smithy, and his dim halls, and such servants as he had, silent and secret as their master. And when Aredhel, weary with wandering, came at last to his doors, he revealed himself; and he welcomed her, and led her into to his house. And there she remained; for Eol took her to wife, and it was long ere any of her kin heard of her again.
Okay. So Eol tricked her and ensared her with his enchantments, because he saw her and desired her. Had he not been so compulsive and...greedy...perhaps Gondolin would not have fallen. Aredhel would have found her way out, or not, but had he not ensnared her so, none of that would have happened. He didn't have to trick her that way. It was cruel. I would be very, very upset had he done that to me...and he then gave her the illusion of freedom, so she would be happy for a while. He really kept her captive, even if it did not seem like that at first.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 08-17-2002, 04:11 AM   #16
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackheart
What? married me, gave me a son, then got mad becasue I ran off with the kids to my brother in-law's house where my Brother in-law wants to kill me before he'll let me leave?

Hell I can't say I blame the guy, but I'd have thrown the damned spear at Turgon, and chuckled when she dove in front of it.
Who says she wanted to get married and have a son? And those were the laws of Gondolin Turgon set to keep his city safe. Not that it helped any. . .

And BoP, some of Eol's actions were premeditated. And those that weren't, well, Feanor didn't exactly sit down and make plans to slay the Teleri and burn the ships. They were compulsive decisions.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 08-17-2002, 04:11 AM   #17
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Ensnaring, and entrapping DOES NOT make someone evil.

EG, I don't get you. You think that Feanor isn't evil, but Eol is?! Sorry, but where's the reasoning in that?
Old 08-17-2002, 04:12 AM   #18
Blackheart
Elf Lord

So he was the first guy to take advantage of a lost woman? The first guy to even lie to a woman, or cnchant or charm a woman?

Hell at least he married her, instead of kicking her out and giving her cab fare.

Old 08-17-2002, 04:13 AM   #19
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

vil·lain Pronunciation Key (vln)
n.
A wicked or evil person; a scoundrel.
A dramatic or fictional character who is typically at odds with the hero.
(also vln, v-ln) Variant of villein.
Something said to be the cause of particular trouble or an evil: poverty, the villain in the increase of crime.
Obsolete. A peasant regarded as vile and brutish.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 04:16 AM   #20
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf

Who says she wanted to get married and have a son? And those were the laws of Gondolin Turgon set to keep his city safe. Not that it helped any. . .
Well no where does it mention the word rape. Obviously there was a premeditated concencus on the sex, or at least not much objection. If a child issues from such a union, it's generally both parents that take responsibility.

As for Turgon, he obviously made an exception for his relatives at least once. The idea that it was only "the law" involved in his decision rings sort of hollow to me.