Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-15-2015, 11:24 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Start of this week I picked up The Virginian, by Owen Wister. About a fourth of the way in, and I'm enjoying it.

I believe this is considered the first "Western" novel.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:01 PM   #2
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
Start of this week I picked up The Virginian, by Owen Wister. About a fourth of the way in, and I'm enjoying it.

I believe this is considered the first "Western" novel.
Only if you disallow Fenimore Cooper's "Leatherstocking Tales." But, admittedly, they are a totally different ethos than The Virginian and Zane Grey.

Quote:
WOWWWW. So I'm reading Dragon Flight from the Pern series and I have to keep reminding myself it was written in a different time with a different world in mind... the female protagonist and male protagonist are killing my modern sensibilities of what I expect for female leads.
]Don't worry about little Lessa. She gets her own back and then some. One of the strongest female leads in a SciFi (Anne McCaffrey's work is *not* fantasy, worse luck) that I know of. By The White Dragon she has become downright scary. Don't forget that she had been beaten and scorned while she was "undercover" at Ruatha Hold, so she starts out less than assertive.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #3
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus View Post
Only if you disallow Fenimore Cooper's "Leatherstocking Tales." But, admittedly, they are a totally different ethos than The Virginian and Zane Grey.
:
:
:
Yes - I consider "Western" to be from what is now about the western US, with "Leatherstocking Tales" (all of which I read some years back) to be more "Frontier". If that makes sense to others. Have only read one Zane Grey book, and that was way long ago!!!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #4
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Ooh, if you read just one Zane Gray, let it be Riders of the Purple Sage

Susie
“Faërie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.” - JRRT. "On Faerie-Stories"
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote